IGNORED

Atarimax SIO2PC USB adapter question

Fran

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with their Atarimax SIO2PC USB adapter. Mine works with the ProSystem software (i.e. I can create virtual disks on my PC from Atari 1050 drive floppies and create Atari floppies from virtual disks on the PC.  But, I haven't been able to get the adapter to work with the APE for Windows software. The APE software seems to recognize when I first turn on my 800XL, because messages are displayed in the APE log file, but the computer acts like there is no disk drive attached. Tried posting my problem in the Atarimax SIO2PC forum, but not much activity seen there.

I also have a self-made SIO2PC USB cable, and have been able to boot my Atari 800XL computer from a virtual disk on my Windows 10 PC hard drive using the RespQt software with this cable.

I'm using a registered copy of the APE for Windows software (latest release), and I tested the setup using two different Windows 10 computers. Both work with ProSystem, but not with APE for Windows. Doesn't appear to be a driver issue, because my PC is able to communicate with the adapter, and ProSystem works. Haven't tried APE for Windows with the self-made SIO2PC cable, because I thought that the APE for Windows software would only work with the Atarimax adapter.

I'm beginning to think that there is probably something wrong with my Atarimax adapter. Still waiting for Steve at Atarimax to reply to my request for help. So, thought someone here might have an idea about my problem, while I'm waiting for a response.

I'd make sure the divisor is turned down in APE in both the serial and the USB configuration tabs...

prosystem uses it's own settings... If the divisor is set at too fast a sio rate for your DOS etc... it will fail to boot... 0x28 is standard 0x10 is twice the speed 0x08 is three times the speed.

if your Atari has problems at three times the speed... you need to clip the SIO speed limiting caps out of the Ataris RX TX and command lines OR buy a powered buffering SIO hub like lotharek (sp) sells....

Edited by _The Doctor__

I saw your 3-19 post at the Atarimax forum.  I'm sure you will get a response, but maybe not for a few days.

I'm running Ver 3.0.11, but I believe the following will still apply to your 3.0.1x

Did you first install the Trial Version, then install your registered version on top of that?

Are you running the "USB Only" app?

Did you run the configuration wizard? 

Make sure that your settings are correct: Options> APE Configuration> USB Adapter Setup

For testing, can you disconnect any other devices between your computer SIO Port and the USB Adapter.

If upon launching you do not get a message "APE USB Interface Detected and Configured" then I suspect you have a hardware or driver issue.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

I am starting APE for Windows using the 'USB only' icon from my Windows desktop. I installed the trial version first, then installed my registered version, and ran the configuration wizard. I have the dual SIO port version of the adapter. I've tried using both SIO ports (one at a time), but get the same failure.

I tried all of your suggestions, but no success in getting APE for Windows to work. During this testing I noticed that when I first plug in the USB cable to my computer and when APE for Windows starts up, only the LED closest to the USB port lights up. The other two flash when transferring data via ProSystem, but only momentarily when I turn on the 800XL to boot it. Is this normal?

Make sure you give APE and yourself admin privs when it asks, yes windows to death...

Unplug everything and Uninstall / remove all traces of the trial as well as the full version, including drivers, reboot, reinstall full version, make sure try using the device all by itself with the Atari, no other items in the chain, standard divisor. Do the manual driver install for your system if it still doesn't work.

Try another usb port.

Lastly you could try Windows trouble shooting by creating another user account/profile under windows and installing APE there... if it works you have something borked in your main windows account/profile. This method has always been helpful for troubleshooting USB equipment/driver problems.

I see that Mr-Atari answered your post at the Atarimax forum. I've had my share of USB issues with USB3, but never from USB2.

You also asked:

"I tried all of your suggestions, but no success in getting APE for Windows to work. During this testing I noticed that when I first plug in the USB cable to my computer and when APE for Windows starts up, only the LED closest to the USB port lights up. The other two flash when transferring data via ProSystem, but only momentarily when I turn on the 800XL to boot it. Is this normal?"

My setup may not be directly comparable since I have a single-SIO adapter, but FWIW --  when I launch APE, the moment that the APE GUI appears, the red connection LED lights and stays lighted. If it ever goes out, then I know I've lost connection.  In the APE GUI log, I get two messages about the USB-only mode enabled, and also the "detected and configured" message. 

Are you using 32- or 64-bit Win10?  I've found 64-bit somewhat more prone to issues in general.  Do you by chance have another PC that you can try? 

Thanks for your suggestion. I have two Windows 10 64-bit computers that both don't work with the APE for Windows software, and both have the same failure mode.

Steve Tucker contacted me in response to my request for help, and he requested more information, which I sent to him. He believes that the most likely cause is a hardware failure in the SIO2PC adapter, and a new one is on it's way to me.

thanks, Steve.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2022 at 11:05 PM, Fran said:

Problem solved. The interface was defective. Steve sent me a replacement unit, which worked just by plugging it in without making any software and/or driver changes on my Windows computers.

He's definitely one of the good guys ?

• Like 1