IGNORED

Question about Sony BVM-A32E1WM

Hiyodori

I am currently thinking about purchasing a SONY BVM-A32E1WM; however, it has a few issues.

- SDI1 seems to work.

- SDI input terminal 2 does not output a picture on the screen properly

- if you connect SDI input terminal 2 with SDI output terminal 2, that does function properly

- the time menu screen does not display and has 3 horizontal lines going through the picture

The set does come with the BKM-15R controller, but not the 86X analog input board.

If I were planning on purchasing a secondary market analog board from the following site: https://castlemaniagames.com/products/bkm-68x?ref=w9_zngec1o_ , would I even need to utilize the SDI ports? (I'm guessing these are some type of serial HDMI ports that I have never used before)

I guess the main question I have from a complete noob standpoint is do these problems with the set indicate other problems that would prohibit this set from being a good retro gaming CRT.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Hiyodori

I spoke with the seller and have a very specific hardware question. How many damping wires are in the Sony BVM-A32E1WM (these are the very faint horizontal lines you see in Sony Triniton CRT's). I am reading that 14 inches and below have one damping wire. For bigger sizes, they have 2. I am wondering if the 32 inch 16:9 has 3 damping wires. Any help would be greatly appreciated and it would be awesome if I could get approved by a moderator so I can get some help.

Thanks for any help from anyone in advance.

Hiyodori

If you're really a "complete noob" then I would advise not getting what is a (most likely) extremely expensive set which already has some question marks, which might cause further problems in the future and for which you're not getting any warranty. If you want big, then I'm sure you can still find a decent 4:3 28-32" consumer set, or even a big widescreen which is not 100Hz. The later Trinitrons and similar hi-quality tubes really look stunning too and are often free or cost a fraction of what you're about to pay. There's absolutely no need to splash huge amnounts of cash on PVMs/BVMs to enjoy CRT gaming.

On 3/22/2022 at 7:06 PM, youxia said:

If you're really a "complete noob" then I would advise not getting what is a (most likely) extremely expensive set which already has some question marks, which might cause further problems in the future and for which you're not getting any warranty. If you want big, then I'm sure you can still find a decent 4:3 28-32" consumer set, or even a big widescreen which is not 100Hz. The later Trinitrons and similar hi-quality tubes really look stunning too and are often free or cost a fraction of what you're about to pay. There's absolutely no need to splash huge amnounts of cash on PVMs/BVMs to enjoy CRT gaming.

Thanks again Youxia for the advice on both threads. I was originally looking for a consumer level set as you are describing; however, the price of the set is extremely attractive. I have been in contact with the seller and hopefully will have a chance to purchase the set next week. Here is an update on the issues of the set.

- The BKM-15R controller works, however the buttons are a little sunk in and the unit is missing screws. (This is likely the reason the buttons are sunk in is because the board is not mounted to the screws and is getting pushed back - just my thought)

- It is missing the cable to connect the BKM-15R controller to the monitor (I have found these cables for sale and shouldn't be too much of a hassle to purchase)

- The screen functions; however, there are 3 faint horizontal lines through the screen. (From the picture, I can't even see the lines. I have a suspicion that they are damper wires that all Sony Trinitrons have. I believe most models only have 2 of these damper wires, so perhaps the 32'' has 3 wires? I can't find any information on these)

- Since the controller doesn't have the cable to hook up to the monitor, I cannot see the operation hours of the unit, so this is quite a gamble, but could also be a nice surprise

- The seller says the top of the unit is a little bent in, but I can't even tell from the unit. Also, a very small scratch on the side of the unit.

I totally agree that it's not required to enjoy retro gaming and if I decide not to purchase, I will get something else no problem.

I saw your thread in Buy/Sell/Trade but chose to respond here because you aren't actually selling anything.

I just wanted to say that Castlemania is very well respected.  I have purchased items from them before and they have cultivated a good reputation.  I have never had to return anything to them, but something tells me that they would be easy to work with if you bought something that wasn't exactly what you were looking for.