IGNORED

Super Twin 78 Controller on the Amiga...

leech

So I had ordered a Super Twin 78 Controller a while back, and hoped it would also work on the Amiga.  No such luck!  So I went hunting for the pinouts...

Looks pretty straight forward, unless someone has some caveats? 

Pin#      Atari 7800                          Amiga

1           Up                                     Up

2           Down                                 Down

3           Left                                    Left

4           Right                                  Right

5           Button: Right                      +5V DC

6           Both Buttons                       Button II

7           Not Connected                     Not Connected

8           Ground                                Ground

9           Button: Left                         Button I

All the pins look like they match up except the voltage and buttons.  Guess the question becomes; Do I just skip the 'both buttons' connection and +5v DC, then connect 5 -> 6? 

I was worried after plugging the controller into my A500+ that I'd toasted either the controller or the Amiga port, but another joystick I have seems to work fine still (R-Type on the Amiga is a great port!), and plugged the controller(s) into an iCode adapter, and they all tested out fine there, though I don't think it showed up as different buttons, even though it looks like it should support them.

Now I could rewire the Elgaddin controller itself, but I still want to be able to use it on my Atari 7800, or other 8bit computers.

Okay, there are a couple of issues here. The Amiga pinout is quite wrong for a start. Pin 6 is button 1, pin 9 is button 2 and pin 7 is +5V. The 7800 has a kinda funky controller pinout that's designed to be backwards compatible with the 2600 (both buttons act as button 1 in that case), but that will cause problems with Amiga use unless the Amiga software provides explicit support for the controller. It should be possible to construct an adaptor that allows 2-button use on the Amiga without modifying the controller itself. From the top of my head, the adaptor would wire 7800 controller pin 6 to Amiga pin 8 (ground), controller pin 9 to Amiga pin 6 and controller pin 5 to Amiga pin 9. It might also need controller pin 8 to Amiga pin 7 (+5V). Note that I haven't tried this...

• Like 1