IGNORED

Deciding on getting a Switch...

donjn

Greetings!

I am trying to decide if I should buy a Switch or not, and if so, should it be a Switch or Switch Lite. I will try to compress my thoughts as much as possible.

I am 50 and grew up playing Atari, NES etc. I still play Atari 2600 games, NES and SNES games. I mainly play lots of World of Warcraft Classic, Diablo series and I have massive Steam library of games I play and I love RPGs. I am mostly a PC master race guy but I love Nintendo and always will and love ALL the Zelda, Mario, Metroid and kart racing games and any arcade retro games too. I really want to get the Steam Deck and have that on a waiting list from Valve. My setup at home as a high end computer, an Atari 800XL and Commodore 64 with 1541 Ultimate, and Atari 2600 with svideo mod all hooked up with a switch box to a Commodore 1702 CRT monitor. I have lots of toys!

My issue is, is it worth it? I can already play NES games on my NES Classic Mini. I can easily emulate all NES and SNES games too. I don't know if I need TWO handhelds either. I have so many Steam games and I might die before I finish them all...lol.. So yes a Steam Deck is 100% going to be bought. But a Switch? I mean, I can imagine how fun playing something like Diablo would be on a Switch but I am not really mobile. I don't ride buses and I am not a student but would like sometimes to get out of my gaming room and sit in the living room on the couch and play.

I have a powerful PC and have discovered "other ways" to play things like Zelda Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 but I just cant do it. I feel too guilty.

Would appreciate any help thanks!

Yeah I get the dilemma of having more tech than you need.

We got a switch because of the pandemic,   to be honest my kids like it more than I do,  but I was never a Nintendo kid either.   I did have fun with Animal Crossing though.

I typically play the Switch on the big screen,  but it's nice to be able to take it on the go if someone else is using the TV.   

I would avoid the Switch Lite though,  in my experience it's not very durable,  my daughter's broke twice.

Between the rereleased Wii U games and the new Switch stuff, you'll probably find several things to play.  I wouldn't buy it just to play retro games, though, as you already have many options for that.

You'd probably enjoy Mario Kart, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and Super Mario Odyssey... so buy it for the exclusives and enjoy the other stuff on it as well?

@donjn get the Switch OLEDand a Pro Controller. Your eyes will appreciate the former, your hands, the latter. It's the price of a budget video card for a PC and the eShop has great sales every week. Yes, there's some overlap with Steam and mobile, but there's something to be said for the console experience of playing on the couch, plus you get all the Nintendo stuff. 

I also have a Steam Deck on preorder, supposedly coming in Q2, but I'm not sure if I'll go through with it, or play it much if I do. There's going to be a certain level of jank on titles that aren't certified for the Steam Deck, and it seems that even the high-end one will have a screen that's not as nice as the OLED. And I agree with you that it's not nice to pirate current games. 

Besides, it's not really 2 handhelds if you play the Switch mostly docked. I go through phases of preferring handheld or docked to the TV. I can play super high-res Witcher 3 or Skyrim on my PC, but I prefer to play on the Switch. Steam Deck looks bulky and ungainly so I'm not sure how that will fit in. 

Switch Lite is like a big Gameboy, and it runs everything just the same, except only as a handheld, and on a smaller screen. It's nicer to hold, but if you're only going to get one, get the OLED. 

I might not be helping you with your decision, but here's where I am: I like my Switch, but I might not go through with the Steam Deck purchase. 

• Like 2

If you are a PC guy and handhelds aren't your thing a Steam Deck is maybe pointless if you don't travel much. 

Like what was said the 1st party games have been solid out of what I've played. If I didn't have a kid and wife who take up the TV I would played docked mainly. But I love that I can play in handheld when the TV is being used.

• Like 1