IGNORED

Season 12 ~ Week 21 ~ Paddle Week 1

Vocelli

14 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

I see something similar though not exactly.  I always turn them all the way in both directions before play.  I think it may be because they have some lubricant in there and moving the paddles around re-spreads it around.    I don't see it much when I use them more frequently or say next day.   I cleaned mine about a year ago and dont recall a similar issue.   A cleaning a some point will help (lots of YouTube videos on that).

4 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Sounds like the pots inside your paddles just need cleaning. I had similar experiences when I used original Atari paddle controllers that hadn't been cleaned in a long while. A few years ago I switched to using Best Electronics' gold upgraded paddle controllers and haven't had a single jitter or false input since then. They're well worth the money if you want to get the best performance out of your paddle controllers :)

Thanks for the tips. I also have been spinning the paddles completely both directions a couple times and then slowly to get a feel for the range of motion used by the game.  In addition to the controllers, I wondered if the culprit might be a capacitor or some other component on the motherboard.

I bought the paddles refurbished a year or so ago, but don't recall which online retailer I used (I was just getting back into playing and didn't really know where to look).  I've not opened up these controllers to look inside, but the exterior quality of the plastics, etc. look good as new.  I've been operating under an assumption that the work on the inside was just as good.

I will probably order a second set from Best as suggested.  It never hurts to have at least four paddles lying around in case I ever happen upon a situation where I'd want to try some of the 4-player games.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Sounds like the pots inside your paddles just need cleaning. I had similar experiences when I used original Atari paddle controllers that hadn't been cleaned in a long while. A few years ago I switched to using Best Electronics' gold upgraded paddle controllers and haven't had a single jitter or false input since then. They're well worth the money if you want to get the best performance out of your paddle controllers :)

Curious, did just get the pots or the paddles?

I bought the pots years ago from Best , never got around to putting them in. 
but I think I will this round

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, nads said:

Curious, did just get the pots or the paddles?

I bought the pots years ago from Best , never got around to putting them in. 
but I think I will this round

I got the complete paddles. They were a pretty penny, but absolutely worth it for never having to deal with jittery or unresponsive paddles again. As far as I know the only difference between Best's gold paddles and normal paddles are the pots though, so you should be able to get the same experience just installing the gold pots in your current paddles :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is is a good game, but nowhere near as much fun on emulation. Playing paddle games with a mouse just isn't the same sadly, and I probably find paddle weeks some of the least fun simply because I don't have the right equipment to really enjoy them.

Still, none of that is the fault of the organisers, and this is a great example of an early game that influenced so much of what came later, even if (purely imho) it hasn't held up quite as well over time as some of the other 2600 classics.

Anyway, that's enough of me wittering on. Here's a score ? . 

1589 for game 7

1202 for game 5

2791 overall

Super Breakout (1982 - 1981) (Atari) [a].png

Super Breakout (1982 - 1981) (Atari) [a]_7.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Super Breakout (5 B/B): 4374

Super Breakout (7 B/B): 2434 (previous score)

Total: 6808

Improvement in game 5! 

Game 3 (double) was always my most favorite mode but cavity (game 5) is not too far off from it.  Not a big fan of game 7 as the more.you hit the ball on your paddle the tougher (and impossible) it gets.

20220331_231507.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

Super Breakout (5 B/B): 4374

Super Breakout (7 B/B): 2434 (previous score)

Total: 6808

Improvement in game 5! 

Game 3 (double) was always my most favorite mode but cavity (game 5) is not too far off from it.  Not a big fan of game 7 as the more.you hit the ball on your paddle the tougher (and impossible) it gets.

20220331_231507.jpg

You win, I'm not even gonna try to beat that :lol: Those are both seriously awesome scores and I salute you! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Super Breakout:

- Game #5 = 2489

- Game #7 = 2081 (already posted)

- Total = 4570

Some of my best scores were my earlier games.  I only barely improved my game #5 score last evening.

I stumbled upon a bug on game #5, which caused one of the trapped balls to escape by "floating" off to the playfield to the right, then dropping along the left and right edges of the screen when I put the next ball into play. 

The first video is game #5.  The second video shows the bug.  I accidentally deleted my game #7 video.

image.thumb.jpeg.a0e86eec1846162838839b678b9f3265.jpeg 

• Like 3

Great game. Variation 5 gets frantic, and 7 solves the problem of not being able to finish a board. Lots of fun, gotta love paddle games. I wanted to break 1k on each, but topped out and kept scoring lower. I should’ve prioritized Atari this week!

Super Breakout game 5 - 991

BBC3852F-0FF2-4AFD-BF1E-7ED9A0ED0F01.thumb.jpeg.8f3f441bb13412cedfb3d2ebc5a71a7b.jpeg

Game 7 - 1092

8502CFE4-1F58-4B93-9805-2FA9FCA6CCC8.thumb.jpeg.4d6138a1ec1367c5bb6cb4f7ca9c2ced.jpeg

991 (game 5) + 1092 (game 7) = 2,083

• Like 2