IGNORED

Announcing an action RPG (Shadow Kingdom)

phoboz

Some people asked why flip screen scrolling is used in this game?

The idea is this the game shall be like a mix between an action RPG and a pure action game like Xeno Crisis, Smash TV etc.

Therefore I made this little bit more intense demo to illustrate this.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 4

Are you exporting your graphics out as .BMP?  I had issues with exporting BMP files out of gimp for use in JagStudio.  I understand you have been using RMV lib, but it could possible be a similar issue of exporting the wrong format.  Gimp gives you several bit depth formats to chose from on export.  Maybe this is the issue?

• Like 2

Try it with a sprite with no color (only shades of gray) first.

If it doesn't work, your conversion settings are wrong (you may have selected RGB instead of CRY, for example).

If it does, read up on how RMW objects work. The way it works for the color components (C and R) isn't obvious, and unlike traditional alpha blending.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

Try it with a sprite with no color (only shades of gray) first.

If it doesn't work, your conversion settings are wrong (you may have selected RGB instead of CRY, for example).

If it does, read up on how RMW objects work. The way it works for the color components (C and R) isn't obvious, and unlike traditional alpha blending.

When drawing it over a black background, the sprite looks more or less as is does in GIMP. So it must be that I don't understand how the colors blend?

Is it in the developer documentation I can read more about how RMW objects work?

It's a CRY image, so I am quite sure that I am running in CRY mode.

PS. Previously I tried a greyscale sprite over an image with 2 parrots ?, then highlight was red.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

In this case it appears that the conversion is correct.

Regular CRY colors work like that:

CRY.thumb.png.c73e57fb6aeaefed288f631c91b69b67.png

The intensity determines how bright the color is, and the X and Y parameters select the hue. Intensity is [0...255], X and Y is [0...15] (unsigned integers).

For a RMW CRY object, the intensity and X and Y parameters are interpreted as signed integers that are added to the values of the pixel below. The results are clamped to the limits (so for example, if the result for X would be 18, you get 15 instead).

In practice:

- if the intensity of the RMW object is in [0...127], the pixel gets brighter. Otherwise it gets darker, as [128...255] gets interpreted as [-128...-1].

- for X and Y, the values of the RMW object shift the color left/right (X parameter) and up/down (Y parameter) in the color square. As they are offsets, it doesn't map simply to the color of the RMW object itself. For example, if you don't want to change the color of the pixel, you need X=0 and Y=0, which would be blue for a normal CRY object.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

practice:

- if the intensity of the RMW object is in [0...127], the pixel gets brighter. Otherwise it gets darker, as [128...255] gets interpreted as [-128...-1].

- for X and Y, the values of the RMW object shift the color left/right (X parameter) and up/down (Y parameter) in the color square. As they are offsets, it doesn't map simply to the color of the RMW object itself. For example, if you don't want to change the color of the pixel, you need X=0 and Y=0, which would be blue for a normal CRY object.

I finally understood that a gradient of blue color from zero to half intensity is what I want in order to get a regular white light, with increasing intensity.

Tested in the game, and it looks very nice, thank you!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, grips03 said:

In the flicker in your video only because its youtube? 

It's because filmed it from a CRT monitor using a smartphone. The RMW objects does not show up in the Project Tempest emulator I used before, and the sound engine does not work in Virtual Jaguar. So I had to play it on a real Jaguar.

- Are someone working on improving the Atari Jaguar emulators?

I see the latest update for Virtual Jaguar was 2014, and for Project Tempest it was 2004.

Edited by phoboz