IGNORED

Homebrew Buying Options

Muddyfunster

How would you like to buy homebrew games  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Homebrew Options.

• Physical Lite (Cart only)
    • Physical Regular (Cartridge, box, manual)
    • Physical Collectors (Cartridge, box, manual, extras)
    • Digital (File only)
    • Digital (File on SD Card, box, manual)
    • Digital Collectors (File on SD card, box, manual, extras).

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

A bit of lite market research for your Friday afternoon!

I wanted to see what folks in the community thought about buying/acquiring homebrew games and what options they would prefer to have, ranging from "downloadable file only" to "loot box full of goodies".

I know there was a bit of discussion a while back about ROMs for emulator folks and my intention isn't to drag that (and associated arguments) back up. I'm instead trying to get a handle more on what options folks would like in general. For example, I have some ideas for a collectors or deluxe version of E.X.O. and wanted to understand if there would interest in that kind of a release.

I think Al already has plans to add digital options to the store in the future, so that option is also covered. I've also added an option for hybrid physical + digital or "phidgital" with the game binary provided on an SD card instead of a cart (or even a download code), but including the usual boxed extras like manuals etc. 

I also thought it would be interesting to see how many folks like to have collectors or deluxe editions of games with extras in the box. 

I know different folks have different tastes. Personally I love having an actual cart to slot in and play, but equally love the convenience of having a binary to run on a multicart.

Comments and suggestions welcome!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Personally I love having an actual cart to slot in and play, but equally love the convenience of having a binary to run on a multicart.

Same for me, however have and will purchase deluxe editions of a game, depending on the included extras etc.  I have multicarts for my 2600, 5200 and 7800 consoles, but I still purchase actual carts to "pop" in and play.  The 10yr old in me still needs to hold an actual cart and manual to look through.  Especially with the amazing manuals that are being created today.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Where are the combo options? :D

Physical Lite + Digital

Physical Regular + Digital

Physical Collectors + Digital

For most titles, I am all for Physical Lite + Digital.  For some, Physical Regular + Digital.  Perhaps for an exclusive few, Physical Collectors + Digital.  In all those cases, I would want both a physical cart copy and a digital copy available at bare minimum.

If the particular homebrew is just not my thing, then having the option to purchase only a full/final digital copy would be nice.  I would like to show some support to the 7800 developer, even if I am not particularly interested in a specific title.

• Like 3

Totally agree with the above.

Further... Up to the developer of course, but think it's nice when the digital ROM file is included (option to download or email) when purchasing physical games. Kind of like when buying an LP, a digital version is often included. 

26 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Where are the combo options? :D

To answer my own question, you can check multiple options.  Since the majority of the time, I am for Physical Lite and Digital, those are the two I checked.

However, do not go 'lite' on E.X.O. @Muddyfunster  Really want that title to have the option of "Physical Collectors + Digital" for me.

• Like 2

People who buy one of my Lynx games get a free digital version for multicart and emulator use at the time they order the game.

My guess is that most people play games from the multicart even if they have a physical copy of the game.

• Like 1

I see the point with shipping issues. I have lost several shipments during the last 2 years. Currently I closed the shop because of problems with shipments.

My next game "Wizzy" is planned to be a collectors-only thing. There will be a hand sewn book with the story and a cart for the Lynx. Perhaps even a cart for 7800. Who knows.

But as making the book and the carts is pretty tedious I may reserve the copies for personal friends only.

For the rest of you there may be a free digital download and the book in pdf format. After all making the games is no fun if nobody plays them.

• Like 1

I'm crazy enough to want a box whenever I can get one. I have a complete 7800 collection in box and I love having it. But every other console I collect for is cart only. If I have the option I would like at least cart and manual, but if I'm paying for a digital copy of 7800 I wouldn't oppose to having something to look at with it. 

I want other people to have access to digital only, because as stated by others here shipping is awful for some. I just don't want to give up my physical versions either. 

• Like 2

For me it depends on the game honestly. Any that I really get interested in, I buy a physical version of if not when released, usually a few years down the line (mostly conventions...). I will sometimes buy deluxe versions but I have to be really into the game and feel that the extras are worth the added costs. Examples of when I've done this would be when the new ToeJam & Earl game for the PS4 was released. I originally bought the standard edition of the game physically, but then bought the collectors version a bit later after I decided it was a game I really wanted everything for. I did the same with both Ni No Kuni games too.

• Like 1

I clicked on physical lite + digital. Where it would be lovely to have a stack of boxed games on shelves, space, practicality, getting them here in the first place and cost are all problems. So while I have a multitude of flash carts, I still want the physical originals that don't take up much space. Mainly to support the devs and AA. It's becoming more of an issue of late even ordering things though, so maybe digital only is going to be the way forward. That pains me somewhat.

• Like 1