IGNORED

SWUtils (SimCheck, SimTest, OSDump)

Panther

I never use the BASIC eprom I installed in my 1200XL when I did the 800XL compatibility mod/upgrade and Atarimax Warp+ OS upgrade and I've been wanting to replace it with another 8K rom, but could never decide what I think might be the most useful program to have since I have plenty of devices attached that can already store ready to run roms in flash memory as anything else I would find useful installed in the rom socket won't fit as they are 16K roms. This is finally something I think is worthy enough to be used in place of the 8K Basic. I was thinking Assembler Editor (I think it's 8K-though I use MAC/65 so I don't see much point). Thank you so much for such a useful utility that will fit on an 8K eprom for the socket! Then I can just hold Option on power up (Warp + OS does reverse Basic enable) to make sure everything that should be detected is detected!

Thank you so much @Panther !

Edited by Gunstar

22 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I never use the BASIC eprom I installed in my 1200XL when I did the 800XL compatibility mod/upgrade and Atarimax Warp+ OS upgrade and I've been wanting to replace it with another 8K rom, but could never decide what I think might be the most useful program to have since I have plenty of devices attached that can already store ready to run roms in flash memory as anything else I would find useful installed in the rom socket won't fit as they are 16K roms. This is finally something I think is worthy enough to be used in place of the 8K Basic. I was thinking Assembler Editor (I think it's 8K-though I use MAC/65 so I don't see much point). Thank you so much for such a useful utility that will fit on an 8K eprom for the socket! Then I can just hold Option on power up (Warp + OS does reverse Basic enable) to make sure everything that should be detected is detected!

Thank you so much @Panther !

You're welcome!  I'm glad this is useful.  I was actually thinking of patching it into a 400/800 OS ROM in place of the Memo Pad, though at this stage I think I would have to trim out some features for it to fit.  I was just playing with a 400 where I replaced the RAM card with SRAM and a PLD, so this would have been useful for me to have done when I started.  I am just doing it for testing and learning though.  I've learned a lot about the address and data buses and various signals on the Atari 400/800.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When you press M to get the memory map in version 1.3, now you not only get the extended memory map, but it displays the base memory in 4K blocks with accessible portions inverse.

SimCheck-1.3-Banks.thumb.png.0cdbdd21d4802b1eb21c0bc99bfeabd8.png

I think my initial layout for this looked better, but it wasn't very practical:

SimCheck-1.3-Test.thumb.png.bafaeb5d7c76faf526e2f65bf0df3781.png

• Like 3

The new feature is especially useful for anyone developing memory expansions.

Also, I should point out that the base memory tests are all done in the upper range for each 4K block, so it shows the DXXX RAM block as accessible though this is only true for the D800-DFFF range, not D000-D7FF.  I wonder if it would be confusing if I made only half of that block inverse.

Due a friend needing something to test base RAM on an 800, I wrote memory test utility.  It now supports both 400/800 and XL/XE configurations and scans all available memory.  This includes all memory on a 400/800 up to 52K (0000-CFFF) when available, and all 64K on an XL/XE, except for the hardware addresses D000-D7FF.  Memory located under the OS and Basic are included.  Even the memory occupied by SimTest is included in the test.  The displayed RAMTOP is as reported by the OS, but "Base Memory" is calculated by SimTest and is what is used as the basis for the test.  The program stops reporting errors after 112 errors are displayed.  The tests performed on each memory location include writes and verification of:

SimTest-0.6.xex SimTest-0.6.bin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Panther said:

Due a friend needing something to test base RAM on an 800, I wrote memory test utility.  It now supports both 400/800 and XL/XE configurations and scans all available memory.  This includes all memory on a 400/800 up to 52K (0000-CFFF) when available, and all 64K on an XL/XE, except for the hardware addresses D000-D7FF.  Memory located under the OS and Basic are included.  Even the memory occupied by SimTest is included in the test.  The displayed RAMTOP is as reported by the OS, but "Base Memory" is calculated by SimTest and is what is used as the basis for the test.  The program stops reporting errors after 112 errors are displayed.  The tests performed on each memory location include writes and verification of:

SimTest-0.6.xex 1.63 kB · 4 downloads SimTest-0.6.bin 8 kB · 2 downloads

Looking good.  Are you going to add testing for Axlon, Mosaic, and PORTB banks?

SimCheck 1.3 is looking great!

Edited by reifsnyderb

• 2 weeks later...

I've added SimTest 0.7 to the main post.  This is still in development, but now tests both base memory and Axlon banks.  It's best to use the executable version instead of cartridge, otherwise the RAM under the cartridge cannot be tested, but I've included the 8K cartridge binary for convenience.

• Thanks 3

On 6/10/2022 at 5:14 PM, Panther said:

When you press M to get the memory map in version 1.3, now you not only get the extended memory map, but it displays the base memory in 4K blocks with accessible portions inverse.

SimCheck-1.3-Banks.thumb.png.0cdbdd21d4802b1eb21c0bc99bfeabd8.png

I think my initial layout for this looked better, but it wasn't very practical:

SimCheck-1.3-Test.thumb.png.bafaeb5d7c76faf526e2f65bf0df3781.png

You could combine the two.

342394258_SimCheckBanks-combined.thumb.png.6db18921ff9b1d344a9f1a668f765208.png

• Like 1

I figured I would just add this utility to this thread.  I needed an OS dump utility, but couldn't find one, so I wrote one.  This simply dumps the OS to a file called OSDUMP.BIN on the D: drive.  It detects whether the system is a 400/800 or XL/XE and dumps the appropriate data.

OSDump.xex

7 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Total noob question, but could the opposite be done using the .xex format ? 

I gather you mean can you use software to rewrite the OS ROM in the Atari computer?  No.  You need to physically replace the ROM chips.  It is possible to use the PBI to run OS ROMs on the XL/XE though.  Then of course there are mods such as U1MB and Incognito that have the ROMs in flash memory and the hardware to rewrite them.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 3:01 PM, Panther said:

Great, thank you!

Future versions will be posted on the first post.

They will also be made available here:

http://www.atariverse.com/files/simcheck/

I cannot see simcheck on your TNSF- may I suggest you add a few top-level directories, one with all the games and another with your simcheck?

Looking forward to using this on some of my systems.

3 hours ago, massiverobot said:

I cannot see simcheck on your TNSF- may I suggest you add a few top-level directories, one with all the games and another with your simcheck?

Looking forward to using this on some of my systems.

I completely forgot about the TNFS server!  I will organize it and create a utility directory, after I take care of some much needed OS updates.

53 minutes ago, spicyjack said:

This URL 404's.

Edit- realized he posted a HTTP so @spicyjack your concern it totally valid!

Meanwhile,  TNFS - is not not HTTP. TNFS uses UDP. TNFS = Trivial Network File System. It's like Baby NFS. Is this a TNFS path or a real HTTP location to download?

Edited by massiverobot
mistake