IGNORED

Season 15 - Preseason - Round 2 - Donkey Kong

Colecovision-logo.jpg

HIGH SCORE CLUB

Season 15 Preseason Round 2

4.pngDonkey Kong for Colecovision Box Art5.png

Game Information

Game Name: Donkey Kong

Released by: Arcade: Nintendo 1981. CV: Coleco 1982.

Settings: Skill 1

CV HSC High Score: Skill 1: 5,001,500 ducantoml (1/2008 HSC1).

Manual: http://www.colecovisionzone.com/photos/game/manual/dk manual.pdf

Round Ends: Sunday April 3rd at 8pm (PST) 11pm (EST)

Final Donkey Kong Scores

1)192,800 Ikrananka

2)149,400 xdurable

3)104,400 ed1475

4)103,800 NCG  

5)  99,900 DuggerVideoGames

6)  80,300 jblenkle

7)  45,500 mark griff

8) 41,900 timepilot

9)  10,300 fakecortex

donkey-kong-1982.rom

Edited by Northcoastgamer
Update

5 minutes ago, Northcoastgamer said:

After surpassing 99,900 points the score rolls over back to 0, thus we call it "rollover" or "rollage".

Ah, thank you!  My score was definitely not after a rollover.

Would love to see Victory as one of the high score competition games.  Maybe allowing either the original Roller Controller version or the Team Pixelboy SCE conversion.  But would need to specify the "easy-mode" American version or the "normal-/hard-mode" CBS UK version.  Far more enemies in the CBS UK version.

7 hours ago, Northcoastgamer said:

After surpassing 99,900 points the score rolls over back to 0, thus we call it "rollover" or "rollage".

I thought one version of DONKEY KONG (the 24-kb version?) supported scores in excess of 99,999 to be displayed. I'm probably confusing this with the timer going over 9900, which I think the 24kb ROM does not support, while the 16kb one does.

7 hours ago, timepilot said:

Would love to see Victory as one of the high score competition games.  Maybe allowing either the original Roller Controller version or the Team Pixelboy SCE conversion.  But would need to specify the "easy-mode" American version or the "normal-/hard-mode" CBS UK version.  Far more enemies in the CBS UK version.

The US version is actually a corrupt broken version of the game while the CBS version is the correct version.  Interestingly there are only two bytes difference between the two versions.  Details can be found in the attached.

ColecoVision ROM Update Project - Commercial Releases (1982-198x) - v2.2.pdf

7 minutes ago, zyzzle said:

I thought one version of DONKEY KONG (the 24-kb version?) supported scores in excess of 99,999 to be displayed. I'm probably confusing this with the timer going over 9900, which I think the 24kb ROM does not support, while the 16kb one does.

I'm not aware of any difference in the maximum score displayed between the 16K and 24K versions.  You're right about the bonus timer being different.  The 24K version maximum is 8,000 while the 16K version can go all the way up to 99,000 (@level 97).  More info in the attachment to my previous post.

9 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

The US version is actually a corrupt broken version of the game while the CBS version is the correct version.  Interestingly there are only two bytes difference between the two versions.  Details can be found in the attached.

ColecoVision ROM Update Project - Commercial Releases (1982-198x) - v2.2.pdf 1.17 MB · 0 downloads

When I got my original Adam secondhand in the late 1980s, one of the games that it came with was Victory.  But it did not come with a roller controller.  So I spent years wondering what the game was like when one could actually play it.  In the late 1990s, when I got AdamEm, I was able to play it for the first time.  Many years later, I got the Standard Controller Edition conversion as a ROM for my Atarimax cartridge.  Within the last year or so, I finally got a physical roller controller for the first time and played the actual game, from the actual cartridge, on the actual hardware, with an actual roller controller.  After waiting more than thirty years, it was a lot of fun.

22 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

I'm not aware of any difference in the maximum score displayed between the 16K and 24K versions.  You're right about the bonus timer being different.  The 24K version maximum is 8,000 while the 16K version can go all the way up to 99,000 (@level 97).  More info in the attachment to my previous post.

Does the game have a killscreen at level 98? When the timer rolls over to 00000?

On 3/31/2022 at 11:52 AM, timepilot said:

Everyone that participates each season gets a turn at choosing a game and skill/game level. Last seasons champion will pick our first game and then runner up and so on down the previous seasons final standing list. After that any new players will get to choose a game.

16 hours ago, zyzzle said:

Does the game have a killscreen at level 98? When the timer rolls over to 00000?

Both the 24k and the 16k versions roll back to 0 after 99,900 points have been scored. The 24k version has some differences and seems to play a bit harder.  We played it here in 2018.

I played both a Cartridge and also the ROM and I found the Cartridge has a slowdown bug of some kind - Mario would be slowly move ( running / jumping or climbing ) when I played the ROM I never encountered the slowdown - are there known issues with some version of the DK cartridge ?

As if I wasn’t bad at DK enough, I have to compete with my system glitching out and poor controllers ? Maybe I’ll give it a go on emu before the round is up. I’ll say this much, playing Donkey Kong by Nintendo on Colecovision with a Sega Genesis controller...is weird. 

Donkey Kong - 10,300

2DDD4F70-4194-47AC-99C8-750279D0941A.thumb.jpeg.e997b3ed0aa6d2d98ecc343cedcb4ba2.jpeg

• Like 1