IGNORED

AtariBasic - Will it run on the M1 Mac?

ColecoGamer

3 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

As the the title states, I’m just wondering if AtariBasic will work on OSX Big Sur with an M1 processor. 

Thank you in advance to those who respond to my post! 

Wondering myself...

I have an M1 that I installed Visual Studio Code on without a problem. Tried to install Atari Dev Studio (programing extension for 2600 bAtari) but if you try to compile, it says it's missing DASM ARM64 (version), etc.

Not sure it's antivirus related like the error suggests or if the current version isn't compatible with the M1. Apple runs legacy programs in Rosetta and I can't find any posts from others in a similar situation.

• Like 1

The bB 2600basic.sh script is supposed to call the binaries that match the platform, but we don't have native M1 binaries. It doesn't know to use binaries for another platform.

Can someone open a terminal on an M1 OSX system, and let m know what "uname -s" and "uname -n" output?

• Sad 1

From what I can tell you just need to install Rosetta 2 to run the Intel versions of programs. You'll also need to set up a Rosetta 2 instance of Terminal.

I plan to get a Mac Studio to replace my 2013 Mac Pro, so will be figuring this out as well for my own 2600 development. ideally I can go M1 native and build my own version of dasm. What I've not looked into yet is if the Mac version of the ARM compiler we're using for the Melody/Harmony is available for M1, or just Intel.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Albert said:

Here you go, 

Daedalus:~ starfury$ uname -s
Darwin
Daedalus:~ starfury$ uname -n
Daedalus.local

Thanks! I meant "uname -m", but mistyped. (due to "uname -n" being something I use almost daily.) However the "uname -s" is good enough, as that tells me the "Darwin" OS string is the same as other OS X platforms.

It looks like the 2600basic.sh script *should* already be trying to see if it can successfully use either "dasm.Darwin.x64" or "dasm.Darwin.x86", but those attempts aren't working.

@rsiddall do you have these dasm binaries in your bB directory? If so, do they work if you run them? (from a term window, "cd" to the bB directory, and then "./dasm.Darwin.x64")

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

I plan to get a Mac Studio to replace my 2013 Mac Pro, so will be figuring this out as well for my own 2600 development. ideally I can go M1 native and build my own version of dasm. What I've not looked into yet is if the Mac version of the ARM compiler we're using for the Melody/Harmony is available for M1, or just Intel.

I picked up a Mac Studio to replace my 2018 Intel Mac mini, which was not a well-tested machine by Apple (lots of USB/Thunderbolt problems, although those did get better with each macOS release).  Plus the built-in GPU was just terrible, and I had to use an eGPU to drive three 4K displays without lag. I'd get a lot of beach balling on the mini with many resource-intensive apps open (such as Photoshop, Acrobat Pro, etc.).  And that was with 64GB of RAM!  You can see the old Mac mini under the left monitor.  Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. 

The Mac Studio (M1 Max) screams compared to the Mac mini.

macstudio_office.jpg

..Al

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RevEng said:

@rsiddall do you have these dasm binaries in your bB directory? If so, do they work if you run them? (from a term window, "cd" to the bB directory, and then "./dasm.Darwin.x64")

Would be Monday before I can check (M1) is my work computer. Will let you know...

From what I recall, I get a string of errors saying it can't find them. Suggests reinstalling (which doesn't remedy the problem).

• Like 3

I run it on Parallels on an ARM Windows VM. 

Also used to run it on Crossover but the last update borked my bottle so VisualbB fails to run.

Could try PlayOnMac again but dreading setting up a new bottle since it's random luck finding the right combination of patches and runtimes.  That being said, if you've moved on to Visual Studio Code PlayOnMac may be the answer.

On 3/26/2022 at 6:58 PM, rsiddall said:

Would be Monday before I can check (M1) is my work computer. Will let you know...

From what I recall, I get a string of errors saying it can't find them. Suggests reinstalling (which doesn't remedy the problem).

@RevEng Where is bB installed by default (from Visual Studio)? Again, I am using Visual Studio Code and installing the Atari Dev extension. So, I'm not seeing anything labeled "bB" to change the directory to. Would dasm be inside of the Visual Studio (package contents)? 

I've looked on my Intel Mac (where everything works/runs correctly) and do not see a "bB" folder either.

Attaching a list of the errors Visual Studio shows.

Does that make sense?

Errors.jpg

Edited by rsiddall

9 minutes ago, rsiddall said:

@RevEng Where is bB installed by default? Again, I am using Visual Studio Code and installing the Atari Dev extension. So, I'm not seeing anything labeled "bB" to change the directory to. Would dasm be inside of the Visual Studio (package contents)? 

I've looked on my Intel Mac (where everything works/runs correctly) and do not see a "bB" folder either.

Does that make sense?

With ADS it gets bundled somewhere, though I'm not sure offhand. Calling @mksmith to see if he can lend a hand here.

14 minutes ago, RevEng said:

With ADS it gets bundled somewhere, though I'm not sure offhand. Calling @mksmith to see if he can lend a hand here.

@rsiddall - I can help with this part. On my MacBook it's in the cd ~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.2/out/bin/compilers/bB directory. The path will be slightly different if you have a different version of the extension installed.

From the terminal, type:

cd ~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.2/out/bin/compilers/bB
./dasm.Darwin.x64

Then please report the output to show if the binary will run on your system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Karl G said:

@rsiddall - I can help with this part. On my MacBook it's in the cd ~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.2/out/bin/compilers/bB directory. The path will be slightly different if you have a different version of the extension installed.

From the terminal, type:

./dasm.Darwin.x64

Then please report the output to show if the binary will run on your system.

@Karl G

Awesome!

I ran the above and got this:

~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.2/out/bin/compilers/bB

./dasm.Darwin.x64

zsh: permission denied: /Users/rodney/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.2/out/bin/compilers/bB

zsh: no such file or directory: ./dasm.Darwin.x64

That said, I went into the same directories manually just to see if everything was there (surprise...it is!).

Verified this on my Intel Mac just to compare (same process) everything is there, as expected.

Since this is a work computer...now I'm wondering if anti-virus software might be the culprit?

directory.jpg

42 minutes ago, rsiddall said:

Since this is a work computer...now I'm wondering if anti-virus software might be the culprit?

I say this but want to mention my second work computer (Intel Mac) is on the same network and isn't having an issue.

3 hours ago, rsiddall said:

I ran the above and got this:

~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.2/out/bin/compilers/bB

./dasm.Darwin.x64

zsh: permission denied: /Users/rodney/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.2/out/bin/compilers/bB

zsh: no such file or directory: ./dasm.Darwin.x64

You are missing the "cd" at the beginning of the first command. The "permission denied" is from trying to execute the directory as a command, and the "no such file or directory" is because the cd command failed, and it can't find the binary in the current working directory.

You can confirm that the current working directory is correct with "pwd". E.g.:

pwd
/Users/kdgarris
pwd
/Users/kdgarris/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.2/out/bin/compilers/bB

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Karl G said:

You are missing the "cd" at the beginning of the first command. The "permission denied" is from trying to execute the directory as a command, and the "no such file or directory" is because the cd command failed, and it can't find the binary in the current working directory.

Sorry, I ran it again with the "cd" and got:

./dasm.Darwin.x64

zsh: permission denied: ./dasm.Darwin.x64

I can cd to the directory and manually drop "dasm.Darwin.x64" onto the terminal and it still won't run.

Gives the "permission denied".

• Sad 1

So, I started to feel like my advice was too confusing or too strange.  Decided to prove it to myself aaaaand..

PlayOnMac on M1 is very touchy.  Wouldn't even install the latest Visual Studio Code.

Crossover just got a recent update so I had high hopes.  Visual Studio Code and Atari Dev Studio installed but I cannot compile.

Apologies for the bunk advice.  The only thing that %100 percent works is Parallels and a Windows ARM virtual machine.  sigh.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rsiddall said:

Sorry, I ran it again with the "cd" and got:

./dasm.Darwin.x64

zsh: permission denied: ./dasm.Darwin.x64

I can cd to the directory and manually drop "dasm.Darwin.x64" onto the terminal and it still won't run.

Gives the "permission denied".

Quite possibly the permissions got lost during the install. I seem to remember a similar issue earlier on, but I don't recall the cause or the solution. One more thing for you to try, if you would. From that same directory, try adding execute permission to the binaries, then try running it again:

chmod +x *Darwin.x64
./dasm.Darwin.x64

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

So, I started to feel like my advice was too confusing or too strange.  Decided to prove it to myself aaaaand..

PlayOnMac on M1 is very touchy.  Wouldn't even install the latest Visual Studio Code.

Crossover just got a recent update so I had high hopes.  Visual Studio Code and Atari Dev Studio installed but I cannot compile.

Apologies for the bunk advice.  The only thing that %100 percent works is Parallels and a Windows ARM virtual machine.  sigh.

No worries...since I still have a way to run the program (on the Intel Mac), it isn't really a problem but more of an inconvenience.

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

Quite possibly the permissions got lost during the install. I seem to remember a similar issue earlier on, but I don't recall the cause or the solution. One more thing for you to try, if you would. From that same directory, try adding execute permission to the binaries, then try running it again:

chmod +x *Darwin.x64
./dasm.Darwin.x64

DASM runs but I get the "Fatal assembly error: Check command-line format" at the end.

If I run Visual Studio and try to compile, I end up with the same errors.

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.23.53 PM copy.jpg

Edited by rsiddall