IGNORED

Wipeout Source Released. Would be fun to have on the Jag.

alucardX

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

But...but...the Jag can do MIPMAP Vectoring with full alpha-shading and textured polygons! How do I know this? Because I imagine it to be true!

It has a full function shader pipeline, sprite inversions and root beer rasterization technology. If you find the rumored lost chapters of the dev manual you'll find exactly what I'm talking about. The trick is getting the processors to resonate at the exact same frequency of 432Hz all at the same time. If you can do this you'll be able to run Mario 64 at the same frame rate as the N64 and Banjo Kazooie at half frame rate but double the resolution.

56 minutes ago, Cris1997XX said:

But can the Jaguar do Mode 7!?!?

RTFRLMC (Read the Fucking Rumored Lost Manual Chapters)

• Haha 5

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, alucardX said:

Call me crazy but I can see the Jaguar pulling off something like this. I guess it is all speculative until it happens though.

Well right. It's all speculation. Having an interesting discussion. Just because someone posted a video of 3do wipeout track doesn't mean anyone is demanding anyone to port this or port that. 

But the video is impressive. What's the story behind it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 12:26 AM, Mikebloke said:

I played Starwing in the 90s just fine, and I think 12FPS on that would have been a dream! It isn't much smoother on the Saturn when I played it recently! 

Your Saturn must be b0rked, it's a bit rough around the edges but Saturn Wipeout has no framedrops on YT videos.

I've got a stupid question: I own a Jaguar and I'd also be very curious to see how
well it would handle Wipeout or Tomb Raider.
But how come no one tries? The Jaguar community is so big and I've seen so many
cool tech demos (voxel space, ...) by obviously very skilled coders - and no one
tries just doing it?
The OpenLara Jaguar port got stuck at the 100% software rendering on the 68k stage - and
is obviously abandoned by now (?).

I mean, no one would have thought how well the 3DO can handle Tomb Raider either.
Or Wipeout. Until someone tried.

I know, it's a lot of work we're talking about here.
So I would suggest some sort of kickstarter thing.
The most skilled Jaguar coders shall form a team and try an OpenLara or Wipeout port
with best technical possibilities.
The Jaguar community is big. And if everyone would throw $20 in a bucket, that would mean
quite some money for the team.
And $20 is very little to pay for such a port.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Jones007 said:

I've got a stupid question: I own a Jaguar and I'd also be very curious to see how
cool tech demos (voxel space, ...) by obviously very skilled coders - and no one
tries just doing it?
The OpenLara Jaguar port got stuck at the 100% software rendering on the 68k stage - and

I mean, no one would have thought how well the 3DO can handle Tomb Raider either.

The most skilled Jaguar coders shall form a team and try an OpenLara or Wipeout port
The Jaguar community is big. And if everyone would throw $20 in a bucket, that would mean

It's a great idea. I'm all for seeing the creative ways that people might think of to overcome the technical hurdles to get these games running in some way on the Jag. Many talented devs are much happier making very beautiful 2D games rather than trying to get 3D games running. I don't blame them and they are doing fine work. Someone at some point will find the drive to make it happen. It is just a matter of time.

12 minutes ago, alucardX said:

It's a great idea. I'm all for seeing the creative ways that people might think of to overcome the technical hurdles to get these games running in some way on the Jag. Many talented devs are much happier making very beautiful 2D games rather than trying to get 3D games running. I don't blame them and they are doing fine work. Someone at some point will find the drive to make it happen. It is just a matter of time.

Those devs are definitely doing fine work with their 2D games. And I am very happy about it!
But those games (to speak in the "Jaguar language") don't seem to be "64 bit".

I like how John Carmack did it. I think he saw it as some kind of sport. He wanted to see if Doom
is possible, he tried and he suceeded - better than on the 3DO.

And there is one advantage the Jaguar has over the 3DO: The 3DO is high-level. You don't have
100% control over the hardware. With the Jaguar, you can log right into the chips.
I know it's hard work, I know there are a lot of bugs to work around.

But everybody is so much talking about it and everybody is too busy to try.
It would throw my $20 in the bucket to finally reveal what could have been. And how "64 bit" the
Jaguar really is.

And even if it couldn't pull off a fully texturized Tomb Raider or Wipeout within a two-digit frame rate,
who cares? Then at least we'd know for sure.
And come one, the Jaguar has 2D stuff like "Native" running very well - haven't seen something like
that on the 3DO yet. Every console has its strengths.

41 minutes ago, Jones007 said:

tries just doing it?

It is just, that it is close to impossible. So why waste time on a 10FPS so lala port of a 3D game instead doing something the Jaguar is made for.

And then, I'd say most of the developers do it for fun besides their daytime jobs.

BTW: There is a cool project: BigPEmu. So if you have 20USD to spend, please do so ;-)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jones007 said:

I like how John Carmack did it. I think he saw it as some kind of sport. He wanted to see if Doom
is possible, he tried and he suceeded - better than on the 3DO.

And there is one advantage the Jaguar has over the 3DO: The 3DO is high-level. You don't have
100% control over the hardware. With the Jaguar, you can log right into the chips.
I know it's hard work, I know there are a lot of bugs to work around.

The 3DO Doom was based on Jag Doom. It was Jag Doom ported in a hurry.

Doom was written with the PC in mind and Carmack had to do quite a bit of work to adapt it to the Jaguar in the first place. With a little more time and interest he probably would have optimized more for the Jaguar.

I think someone will pick up the Tomb Raider project...ahem...OpenLara project eventually. It really is the right combination of interest, time and expertise necessary to get that going.