IGNORED

Just noticed something new in Food Fight

Propane13

I just played Food Fight today, and got an "Instant Replay" that can happen occasionally.  What I didn't realize was if/when you lose the game and go back to the title screen, if you wait, the "attract mode" will show your most recent "Instant Replay" run.  This is the first time I ever noticed that.  Pretty clever use of resources, and a welcome surprise.

• Like 11

Well thanks to this topic and Food Fight being the current game in the high score club, I got to see this too.  Of course I was ready for it.  I made sure I remembered what my replay looked like and watched for it during the attract mode.  Pretty cool little feature.  What is not a cool feature is there is no way to look at the high score and the score goes off the screen really quick after your last life.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Well thanks to this topic and Food Fight being the current game in the high score club, I got to see this too.  Of course I was ready for it.  I made sure I remembered what my replay looked like and watched for it during the attract mode.  Pretty cool little feature.  What is not a cool feature is there is no way to look at the high score and the score goes off the screen really quick after your last life.

It is because of that reason, that I was never able to feature the game in any of my classic tournaments during my little convention in the early 2000s. Although I think it might support the high score cart now that I think about it?

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It is because of that reason, that I was never able to feature the game in any of my classic tournaments during my little convention in the early 2000s. Although I think it might support the high score cart now that I think about it?

It does indeed support the high score cart, if you can find one. The HSC functionality is also built into the CC2, if you can find one.

Mitch

44 minutes ago, Mitch said:

It does indeed support the high score cart, if you can find one. The HSC functionality is also built into the CC2, if you can find one.

Mitch

Yes I own #100 of the original batch that Curt made. However, like most of them it doesn't actually work properly. It will work to save high scores on the current game you have connected to it but once you power off the console, all the scores are wiped. It also doesn't save any of the customization options and never has.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Yes, there was a bug in the original design that drained the battery very quickly. If you replace the battery it should work for a short time.

Mitch

Nope... it just doesn't work. I even had @CPUWIZ take a gander as he was curious to check it out and he couldn't really find any reason for it not working either. Although he did have concerns over the pitch spacing between the contact fingers on the PCB edge. Curt had offered to replace it out with one of his newer NVRAM versions but I never got around to sending it back to him. Course... now...

Anyway, I might look at it again in more detail sometime but there isn't anything really obvious as to why it doesn't actually save anything other than perhaps just a bad SRAM to begin with maybe?

• Like 1

Curt's original version next to two HSC protos. I sent mine back to Curt for the fix and it now has minor rework on the back. I also have his NVRAM version somewhere but I couldn't find it right away. A bad SRAM chip is possible, do you have a chip tester?

Mitch

HSC.JPG

• Like 1

Yes mine is the same as yours in the center top of that pic. Only mine doesn't have a label on the cartridge as it was the last one he had at the time so it came in an old red text combat cart shell with most of the label ripped off. I did have to replace the battery holder on mine as the original had broken, but it wasn't working before the holder broke and didn't after. 

Now that I think about it, the SRAM would have to be good since the cart does retain the high score table for the current game provided you don't power it down. Maybe I need to just hook up 3v directly to the SRAM sometime from my bench supply and see what happens between power off states.

• Like 1