IGNORED

Season 20 Round 7 - TMNT 3: The Manhattan Project

asponge

Ooooh boy!

462,300 - stage 6 at Shredder 

A653D154-7351-4841-A26E-79685A1B0FC4.thumb.jpeg.c7dd758553085ed2372030dc4d005435.jpeg

Very happy with this run! I want to push to go further, just a matter of if I have time. 

I lost 2 lives on Leatherhead (!), which was disappointing. It is so brutal when he picks you up by your neck. Love it tho. Then at the Technodrome, I beat Rahzar on my last life with a notch or two of health left, and broke 450k in the process. But here’s the kicker- I didn’t get an extra life as I went to Shredder! So naturally he killed me. But had I gotten that extra life...

Anyway, enjoying some record breaking pizza ? now. 

Oh, and I’ve been using Leonardo, who had great reach and an awesome special move. Started using that on bosses and it’s been great. 

Edited by fakecortex
Last paragraph
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

the Blue shelled turtle

When he is starting his spin attack, he will back away from you.  Use Leo and time it so that you are doing your special as he passes you.  You won't take damage and he will get hit.  Avoid him when he is on foot and repeat your special every time he spins at you.  You get a pizza right after, so you don't have to worry about conserving life.

6 hours ago, wongojack said:

Doesn't change the standings, but at least I got past Leatherneckhead455,500

Nice job!! I tried again last night and he choked me to death. I obviously don’t have a good strategy down for him. I’d like to beat the game without game genie one of these days, and I’m really impressed with myself that I got this far without continues. Good round everyone!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Nice job!! I tried again last night and he choked me to death. I obviously don’t have a good strategy down for him. I’d like to beat the game without game genie one of these days, and I’m really impressed with myself that I got this far without continues. Good round everyone!

Even though I had never played it before, I'd like to beat it too.  It is a great NES game.  I probably wouldn't have wanted to play it at all in 1992, but in 2022, It is a great example of what the NES can do.

I continued my high score run and got to Super Shredder.  I think I could have saved a life vs both Dirtbag and Leatherhead that I could have used against SS.  Maybe someday.  @fakecortex I'm almost certain that we could do it if we were playing together.  TMNT III AtariAge dreamteam. 

• Haha 1

Exhibition play:

Got a new high of 472,300 on Shredder.

I realized something about the extra lives. I knew your first came at 50k and then 100k, but then it’s every 100k after that. For some reason, I thought it was every 50. That would’ve been sweet. And more pizzas. Like one before and after each boss (or mini boss). 

I used up all my continues, and lost to Super Shredder. That last stage is a lot. I had to fight Krang twice, but with no health refill afterwards, and out of continues, my final battle was a long shot. 

Leatherhead still took about 3 lives. Jeez. 

If I end up keeping at it and winning, I’ll let ya know! ???

Edited by fakecortex
Wording
  • Like 1

I also played it again last night to see if I could do better at the earlier stages and save up lives for Super Shredder.  I think I've got a good pattern down for Dirtbag now, and I ALMOST got leatherhead without losing 2 lives.  I can't decide on my strategy for Rahzer, but I was experimenting with Mike to see if his special might be better (it's not).

Anyway, I plan to continue to try and play to the end, so I will keep posting if I make progress.

• Like 1

For Dirtbag, I jump over his blasts, moving up and down the screen. Then when he does his pickaxe move, I use my special on him when he's stuck. I've still been using Leo b/c his reach is good and his special is stationary. There's gotta be something we're missing on Leatherhead, b/c he is insane. I think I lost a life on Rahzar; he's a bit annoying. I can see myself getting through Shredder on no continues if I can save a few on those bosses, but then getting through to the end after that? Oomph. Krang and Super Shredder back to back is a lot, lol.

Anyway, I found this cool hit point breakdown. Haven't really utilized it, but it's neat: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/563469-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-iii-the-manhattan-project/64983824

• Like 1

I figured out this pattern for Dirtbag where if you keep moving between the platform and the tracks below 3 times, on the 3rd time, he will jump close to you.  You can use your "regular" attack on him and then just immediately resume the pattern, or you can use the special.  The catch is that he never goes into his 3 strikes pick axe move when you do it this way, but you don't need him to because you can get free shots.  I got him last night without getting hit even once.

For Leatherhead, I haven't found any secrets online for him.  I got him yesterday after only losing a single life.  I think the best shot at getting him without dying is to be able to time your special attack for when he starts doing the neck grab.  It seems you can hurt him and interrupt the grab if you time the special just right.  So if you can survive long enough in the fight to the point where he starts doing that every other attack AND get the timing right, you can probably beat him without dying at all.

• Like 1

All right all right all right . . .

I did it!  I beat the game without help from any codes, cheats or save states.  It only took me 1 continue which means that the 1cc game is somewhere inside me, but I don't know if I am ready to go for that.  An interesting oddity I discovered is that the game does not award an extra life for reaching 600k.  Not sure about 700k as I can't quite seem to get there.  My new high score is 693,200

1560811821_TMNTIII99.thumb.jpg.aa85526161b611a866cb59af7a1baf48.jpg

196560245_TMNTIIGratulations.thumb.jpg.9c8f085dbce9c47eff59628232a64e42.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wongojack said:

All right all right all right . . .

I did it!  I beat the game without help from any codes, cheats or save states.  It only took me 1 continue which means that the 1cc game is somewhere inside me, but I don't know if I am ready to go for that.  An interesting oddity I discovered is that the game does not award an extra life for reaching 600k.  Not sure about 700k as I can't quite seem to get there.  My new high score is 693,200

NIIIIIIIIIICE!!! Wow wow wow. Very good job dude. That's impressive. Your thumbs must be numb. Ice those babies, hahaha. And now, some congratulatory gifs:

cowabunga.gif.34a39b72c5311939c365d9aeeb19cf0a.gif

toys-r-us-ninja-turtles.gif.5f46f27b6fc31fa317a0d59313ce884d.gif

moleman.gif.a0d962c79b0f33c42174f2dc1ec1f0df.gif

You've earned yourself a pizza-

pizza.gif.f340a6da7e10deaa4559701ef66a0dc5.gif

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fakecortex said:

NIIIIIIIIIICE!!! Wow wow wow. Very good job dude. That's impressive. Your thumbs must be numb. Ice those babies, hahaha. And now, some congratulatory gifs:

cowabunga.gif.34a39b72c5311939c365d9aeeb19cf0a.gif

toys-r-us-ninja-turtles.gif.5f46f27b6fc31fa317a0d59313ce884d.gif

moleman.gif.a0d962c79b0f33c42174f2dc1ec1f0df.gif

You've earned yourself a pizza-

pizza.gif.f340a6da7e10deaa4559701ef66a0dc5.gif

Thanks - I am really glad I discovered this through the HSC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...