IGNORED

Wanted: Nice clean beige AT desktop case

eightbit

I would like to try to build another 486 machine into a nice AT desktop case. I have all of the parts...but the case :)

Ultimately I would like to find a case with at least two or three 5 1/4 bays and one or two 3 1/2 bays, a turbo button and LED readout. It must be a true AT style case (case with slots and an accommodation for the larger 5-pin DIN keyboard connector) with an all metal design that can allow a crt monitor to sit on top. The LED CPU speed display is not necessary nor is the turbo button, but I would absolutely prefer those to exist! And, power supply is not necessary, I have an AT power supply already. To give an idea of the type of case I am looking for, something that looks something like this. 

At least that is the best picture I could find for what I am thinking ;)

If you have something let me know!

image.thumb.png.9e87f7955f7c4b663340ab3a267c554d.png

• Like 1

Were turbo buttons even a thing on 486 computers? I know my 486 I bought in '94 didn't have a turbo button on it. Just power and reset. But...my 286 that I bought back in '89 did have a Turbo button on it and it would drop it down to 8mhz from the default 16mhz it ran at when I used it. Although aside from curiosity, I always kept my 286 at the 16mhz speed when playing all my games back then. 

But yeah, I thought the turbo buttons weren't even a thing much less a pin header on the mainboards to support it once the 386 and 486 systems hit the market?

Yes they were. But.. Little known fact is that most all 486 machines with turbo didn't really change the clock speed.

Turbo on = 0 wait states and native speed, like 25MHz or 33MHz..

Turbo off = 1 or more wait states inserted by the chipset. I also heard that some disabled the cache. But in any case the 486 always operated at its intended/labeled frequency.

Edited by Keatah

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Were turbo buttons even a thing on 486 computers? I know my 486 I bought in '94 didn't have a turbo button on it. Just power and reset. But...my 286 that I bought back in '89 did have a Turbo button on it and it would drop it down to 8mhz from the default 16mhz it ran at when I used it. Although aside from curiosity, I always kept my 286 at the 16mhz speed when playing all my games back then. 

But yeah, I thought the turbo buttons weren't even a thing much less a pin header on the mainboards to support it once the 386 and 486 systems hit the market?

The 486's I built had turbo buttons,   the cases also had an LED display where you could "program" it (via jumpers) to display your clock frequencies when you toggled the button.   Eventually I changed mine to just read "HI" and "LO" so that I didn't have to redo it when I upgraded my system

Every 486 my friends had and the two 486 boards I have here have turbo button headers, so yep, it was a thing. One great thing about one of my boards (ASUS brand) is that they had included a key sequence to activate and deactivate turbo mode by pressing CTRL-ALT + minus (or plus). I never saw that before in any other board and its just pure awesomeness.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:29 PM, 0078265317 said:

I have not seen AT parts in a while.  And even ebay is super expensive.  But this looked interesting.  Its not desktop but is very slim and has turbo.  And there are 5.25 to 3.5 adapters available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194958651425?hash=item2d6470f021:g:sfkAAOSwVbhiTLur

Yeah, definitely cool. I just have no room for that beast ;)

I have a 486 tower right now that is pretty tall...just not that tall. 

Still on the hunt for a desktop case....

On 4/8/2022 at 1:44 PM, 3DFXgamer said:

I think that I have some AT cases laying around. I'll see what I can dig up. I don't believe I have anything with the LED screen anymore, but maybe something with a turbo button.

Great! If it has no LED it is what it is. Beggars can't be choosers ;) Thanks!