IGNORED

Audio Question - Receivers and QSound

Hiyodori

This is a 2 part question for the most part.

#1: How does QSound work with receivers, does it require compatibility to be advertised with the receiver or does it just function through stereo sound to mimic a 3d like sound?

#2: Anyone know a good resource to look through older receiver model numbers and get stats and compatibility information? I am looking to purchase an Onkyo receiver likely from the early 2000's time frame as I used to own one and absolutely loved it.

Thanks in advance.

What exactly are you referring to when you say Qsound?

If you are referring specifically to Qsound for the Jaguar then from the documentation and IS2 which I believe is the only game that uses it, it appears to simply be a way of phasing (panning) the sound between the Left & Right audio channels as an objects relative position to the players character changes. So that, for example, you can tell if the incoming fire from one of those tanks in IS is from the left or the right. 

As far as I know the sound mixing in all performed prior to creating the audio data stream, there is no encoding embedded into the audio stream that a surround receiver could make use of, consequently I would expect any receiver to view it as standard stereo audio. 

26 minutes ago, Stephen Moss said:

What exactly are you referring to when you say Qsound?

If you are referring specifically to Qsound for the Jaguar then from the documentation and IS2 which I believe is the only game that uses it, it appears to simply be a way of phasing (panning) the sound between the Left & Right audio channels as an objects relative position to the players character changes. So that, for example, you can tell if the incoming fire from one of those tanks in IS is from the left or the right. 

As far as I know the sound mixing in all performed prior to creating the audio data stream, there is no encoding embedded into the audio stream that a surround receiver could make use of, consequently I would expect any receiver to view it as standard stereo audio. 

I am referring to the early 90's technology that many Capcom arcade games, Sega CD games, and many other games of that era used to do as you described. I think you are referring to the same thing. If so, you answered my question about all the mixing prior to the audio date stream. Thanks!