IGNORED

So... there's only been 9 Atari 7800 Prototypes found and played?

Cousin Vinnie

49 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

I thought a prototype of Paperboy had been found.

Are you thinking of Andrew Holdroyd talking of finishing and delivering to Atari, the 7800 version, whilst working for Tiertex? 

As far as i am aware, that claim has come under some scrutiny and has yet to be substantiated with a find, screenshots, Atari payment files, playtesting reports etc. 

It's literally just a claim. 

7 hours ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

To my knowledge, there have only been 9 7800 Prototypes found and played. Is that right?

Toki, Plutos, Sirius, Missing in Action, Klax, Rampart, GATO, Pit Fighter and Rescue on Fractulous..................... or however you spell it. 

Looks like we will probably never get to play Toki on the Atari 7800 even though years ago there was supposedly a plan to make the game available but still to this day has no happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

Did anyone ever get their hands on Skyfox?

Not that I have heard. Apparently it is a pretty early proto. Maybe if someone asks John Hardie nicely he will dig it out.

Mitch

• Like 1

Thanks guys- I used your brains to complete another article on my website. MUHAHAHAHAHA YOU FOOLS!

Seriously, thanks again! Always good to be fact checked by da boize.

Over the last few decades, only a small number of unreleased prototypes were discovered for the Atari 7800. Some are masterpieces, some are not playable at all. At Atari7800Forever.com, we rank the top 10 that have been found. #atari7800 http://www.atari7800forever.com/top10up.html

rofss1.png

• Like 1

Great list. I personally would've liked to seen Rescue on Fractalus finished for the 7800.  I love Sirius and really appreciate Missing in Action as a style of game the 7800 desperately needed. 

I like Pluto's and Klax just fine, but I completely understand why Toki wasn't released. As much as I desperately want to play it, it was just developed way too late to matter. The other Protos are really too early to speak on, and there isn't enough to hold my attention for more than a few minutes. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mitch said:

Not that I have heard. Apparently it is a pretty early proto. Maybe if someone asks John Hardie nicely he will dig it out.

Mitch

I actually spoke to him about that not too long ago.  He said he'd look for it.

• Like 1

Nice write up. Seems like a small number of prototypes, but who knows. Actually, wasn't there a copy of Electrocop discovered too?

I have copies of Plutos and Sirius, but I still need to get copies of Klax, Missing in Action, and NTSC Sentinel. And Possible Mission for that matter.

Edited by jeremiahjt
Spelling
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Nice write up. Seems like a small number of prototypes, but who knows. Actually, wasn't there a copy of Electrocop discovered too?

Artwork was the only thing found for Electrocop. Here is a link to the artwork:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/105531-anyone-know-what-unreleased-game-amy-hennig-worked-on/?do=findComment&comment=1322054

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

@Cousin Vinnie don't forget about California Games.

Arthur Krewat mentioned at one point that he may even had some of it working.

If you are going down the road of stuff that may still be out there...

Besides California Games and Electrocop, you can add Track and Field and the PAL versions of Road Riot 4WD and Steel Talons. There are also the rumored nearly complete versions of Rampart and Rescue on Fractalus.

Mitch