IGNORED

ABBUC Software contest 2022

holgibo

1 hour ago, twh/f2 said:

Hi RetroCoder,

so you are also the original author of Jump! ?

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-jump_2699.html

I really loved Jump! I played it a lot as a kid. So happy to see a successor of it. I always enjoyed to good choice of colors and also this "height feeling" that came up with the scrolling. Dschump looks like it is really improved! Can't wait to play it :)

great competition so far, btw..

Looks actually like a worthy successor of JUMP. But credits in JUMP say D. Johannsen is the author. Coder of Retro Dschump is Peter Hinz...

• Like 1

List-XEX works on Atari 8-bit and on modern PC platforms: Windows, Apple MacOS, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD, using the exact same program source code. It even uses the same binary executable file on all modern systems. Here it shows its built-in help on Linux:

list-XEX-help-Linux-80-columns.thumb.png.36607978881e26e66b5e64ce7d67999e.png

It automatically adapts to the larger screen and makes use of an 80-column display instead of 40. This is not only useful on PC platforms, but also if you have some kind of 80-column display on your Atari.

• Like 5

On 8/7/2022 at 9:42 AM, twh/f2 said:

Hi RetroCoder,

so you are also the original author of Jump! ?

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-jump_2699.html

I really loved Jump! I played it a lot as a kid. So happy to see a successor of it. I always enjoyed to good choice of colors and also this "height feeling" that came up with the scrolling. Dschump looks like it is really improved! Can't wait to play it :)

great competition so far, btw..

No, I did not write Jump! for the 8-bit.  I wrote a PC version called Dschump that was sold as shareware in the 90s.  The game was on quite a few of those disks you got on magazines.

2 hours ago, RetroCoder said:

No, I did not write Jump! for the 8-bit.  I wrote a PC version called Dschump that was sold as shareware in the 90s.  The game was on quite a few of those disks you got on magazines.

What the hell. See it right from the beginning...

Original A8 game from 1986:

Jump!.thumb.png.8f2024d8399d6c1b6871471328848a0f.png

And this 'new?' one (only ball is different, even 'backstage' gfxs and colour green /blue is purple but same exactly gfxs pixels):

Dschump.png.de660315e63d436cdef9d254d2401fa6.png

Then a PC game in the 90s would be based/after seeing the A8?

Indeed on the same early 1986 this one on C64 (also in ZX, MSX and CPC but no A8 version) from Gremlin Graphics:

1384884617_BounderC64.thumb.png.7521d611c902a64d806e868a92b1e4c8.png

Jump! ball is exactly the same as C64 so I think D. Johannsen type-in A8 idea was to 'copy' the ball and similar one (indeed A8 version seems better looking and colourfull)...

Did you get the idea on the 90s for a PC version from where?

My thoughts... 

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, José Pereira said:

What the hell. See it right from the beginning...

Original A8 game from 1986:

Jump!.thumb.png.8f2024d8399d6c1b6871471328848a0f.png

And this 'new?' one (only ball is different, even 'backstage' gfxs and colour green /blue is purple but same exactly gfxs pixels):

Dschump.png.de660315e63d436cdef9d254d2401fa6.png

Then a PC game in the 90s would be based/after seeing the A8?

Indeed on the same early 1986 this one on C64 (also in ZX, MSX and CPC but no A8 version) from Gremlin Graphics:

1384884617_BounderC64.thumb.png.7521d611c902a64d806e868a92b1e4c8.png

Jump! ball is exactly the same as C64 so I think D. Johannsen type-in A8 idea was to 'copy' the ball and similar one (indeed A8 version seems better looking and colourfull)...

Did you get the idea on the 90s for a PC version from where?

My thoughts... 

Jump! has the ball and from times to times a horizontal bulet to take care of it but no arrows/moving backwards/... it seems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxZPWrC-RLc

VS

And your original here:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Confused 1

Hello everyone,

But one more thing: I had actually overlooked an email in which Andreas Tartz, after consultation with Bunsen from the ABBUC magazine, 
submitted the program not for the magazine but for the competition. 
Unfortunately I got lost in the confusion of all the submissions, but Bunsen drew my attention to it and I wrote with Andreas and tested the program. 
It corresponds to the competition requirements and was published before August 1st. submitted. So it is in the ASC.

Here is the updated list, HRGTrans is now highlighted so that the additional program can also be seen.

-------------------------------

Moon Quest - game - Michal Radecki-Mikulicz stRing/Agenda
Retro Dschump - game - Coding & graphics: Peter Hinz/Music: Miker
The PACMeN-evolution /game/ LarsLanghans
Der Schränker /game/ Kveldulfur
Der Schränker 2 /game/ Kveldulfur
Battle of Eris /game/ Peter Prodehl
Arcadia / amarok
Break it! reloaded 2022game/Oliver Cyranka
MIDICar Player / software tool/Pawel Banas
dye Heritage Edition/ logicgame/ Christian "Irgendwer" Krüger
Bunny Hop/logicgame/ Code by Fandal, graphics and music by PG. Audio driver by VinsCool. Game concept and ideas by Leopold
Trax/game/shanti77
Dark Keep/Game/popmilo
Binary parasite/game/matosimi
Segments lister for Atari 8-bit binary program files/software tool/Kaj de Vos
HRG Transfer / software tool/ Thomas Rademacher/Andreas Tartz

--------------------------------

Sorry for the confusion... this year it seems to be the biggest contest ever.

Greetings, Holger

• Like 6

There seems to be some confusion about RetroDschump and how it relates to Jump!

The original Jump! was written by D. Johannsen and published as a type-in listing in a German magazine.

I wrote Dschump in 1991 for the PC.  It has the same concept of a ball bouncing on a surface but you have plenty of action tiles to make the game more interesting.

Now RetroDschump is a new implementation on Dschump, same extra tiles which would make it more of a puzzle game than the original just jump from file and scroll in one direction.

I'll record another video showing all the different actions that RetroDschump has, there are 32 action tiles.

Actions range from switches that create or destroy other tiles in the level, to worm holes that warp you to another part of the level.

The game will be released for everyone to play once the Abbuc contest is over.

Edited by RetroCoder
Added a line
  • Like 8

On 8/8/2022 at 10:18 AM, José Pereira said:

Jump! has the ball and from times to times a horizontal bulet to take care of it but no arrows/moving backwards/... it seems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxZPWrC-RLc

This is actually showing a hack of Jump called Skok (means Jump in Polish), which is also known as Jump II. It appears to be a hack to provide new levels for the original Jump by someone named D. Malecki. Skok / Jump II also seems to eliminate the splash screen from the original.

The original Jump can be found here: Jump (D. Johannsen)

Skok / Jump II

skok.thumb.png.298ab09b4987e74a92e58ae170260292.png

Jump

153025920_jumpsplash.thumb.png.2dcdd28b791c04a501d7909b2148c454.png    2031660907_jumptitle.thumb.png.3931037ff3569cc9b16a9e51599a2fc5.png

Jump was one of the inspirations for Yoomp, and the inspiration for the unfinished Boinxx game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Jump was one of the inspirations for Yoomp, and the inspiration for the unfinished Boinxx game.

BTW... the fine soundtracks for both of these were composed by X-Ray of Grayscale and Taquart fame.

[The music for Boinxx is available separately in the SAP archive as: Pacman - 1, Pacman - 2, Pacman - 3, Pacman - Game Over]

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2022 at 11:08 AM, RetroCoder said:

Here is a short video showing how the remake of Dschump plays.

Hello RetroCoder,

this really looks amazing! I am the coder of the original Jump! from 1986, but your new version lifts the gameplay to a much higher level. I am looking forward playing it!

best regards, Detlef (D.Johannsen)

P.S.: i like the idea of reusing some of the old tile gfx from my old game. So it looks familiar but much better.

• Like 15

9 hours ago, Dinadan67 said:

Hello RetroCoder,

this really looks amazing! I am the coder of the original Jump! from 1986, but your new version lifts the gameplay to a much higher level. I am looking forward playing it!

best regards, Detlef (D.Johannsen)

P.S.: i like the idea of reusing some of the old tile gfx from my old game. So it looks familiar but much better.

Oh, wow, Detlef, thank you for your comment.  Your game has given me hours of fun over the past 36 years.  I still remember typing it in from the magazine.

Once the Abbuc comp is over I would love, with your permission, to change my ball animation to your tennis ball animation and maybe let you design a couple of levels for RetroDschump.  Would be cool :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RetroCoder said:

Once the Abbuc comp is over I would love, with your permission, to change my ball animation to your tennis ball animation

As @José Pereira correctly stated, i stole the ball animation from the C64 game Bounder (i am a coder and my graphical skills are limited), but of course you have my "permission" to do the same 😇

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dinadan67 said:

As @José Pereira correctly stated, i stole the ball animation from the C64 game Bounder (i am a coder and my graphical skills are limited), but of course you have my "permission" to do the same 😇

Just out of curiosity, how many magazine pages was the listing? 

List-XEX automatically adapts between command-line environments and menu-driven environments such as Atari DOS. Here it analyses itself running directly on the Atari800 emulator, without a DOS:

list-XEX-self-Atari-menu-40-columns.thumb.png.4a4297ed1c2493f402a2c11541747203.png

This is treated like a menu-driven environment, because the emulator also clears the program output after it runs. Because there are no command-line parameters, List-XEX asks for the file name interactively. The emulator's H: device is used here to read the file from the disk of the host system. After the program is done, it asks for a key press to preserve the output.

Some more info:

• On Atari, List-XEX needs 32 KB of RAM. It could run on a stocked up 800 or upgraded 400 or 600XL.
  • While reading the input file, it uses a buffer that can buffer a full track of a double density floppy disk, to speed up operation on floppy drives without a track buffer.
  • The program loads at address $2600 to leave room for optional extra drivers. For example, this is enough to load the FujiNet N: handler above regular Atari DOS, so List-XEX can access files on the Internet and other networks.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 8:13 PM, holgibo said:
Hello everyone,

But one more thing: I had actually overlooked an email in which Andreas Tartz, after consultation with Bunsen from the ABBUC magazine, 
submitted the program not for the magazine but for the competition. 
Unfortunately I got lost in the confusion of all the submissions, but Bunsen drew my attention to it and I wrote with Andreas and tested the program. 
It corresponds to the competition requirements and was published before August 1st. submitted. So it is in the ASC.

Here is the updated list, HRGTrans is now highlighted so that the additional program can also be seen.

-------------------------------

Moon Quest - game - Michal Radecki-Mikulicz stRing/Agenda
Retro Dschump - game - Coding & graphics: Peter Hinz/Music: Miker
The PACMeN-evolution /game/ LarsLanghans
Der Schränker /game/ Kveldulfur
Der Schränker 2 /game/ Kveldulfur
Battle of Eris /game/ Peter Prodehl
Arcadia / amarok
Break it! reloaded 2022game/Oliver Cyranka
MIDICar Player / software tool/Pawel Banas
dye Heritage Edition/ logicgame/ Christian "Irgendwer" Krüger
Bunny Hop/logicgame/ Code by Fandal, graphics and music by PG. Audio driver by VinsCool. Game concept and ideas by Leopold
Trax/game/shanti77
Dark Keep/Game/popmilo
Binary parasite/game/matosimi
SegmHients lister for Atari 8-bit binary program files/software tool/Kaj de Vos
HRG Transfer / software tool/ Thomas Rademacher/Andreas Tartz

--------------------------------

Sorry for the confusion... this year it seems to be the biggest contest ever.

Greetings, Holger

Hi Holger

The ABBUC site is really bad. I sent you a PM....but...no answer.

I registered at ABBUC site......really difficult,but when it worked finally....i cannot get the contest download.

Really bad......When I am in the forum, I only get the message.....Du bist kein Mitglied.

Gruss Walter

• Like 1