IGNORED

Announcing - Hammer of the Gods

phoboz

20 minutes ago, CD-i said:

I think it's good to focus on a good battle system and not too stupid AI. Every team has it's limits. At the moment as I see there are 2 people working on this, so we can't expect a game as deep as dragons crown or the later Capcom brawlers. Could be the target but this would take years to make I assume with this small team. Better set goals what can be achieved with the team in a good timeframe and work on it.

As I read your inspiration was moonstone? Which by itself is not a really good brawler/hack and slash from a design and control viewport. Therefore maybe better to insure controls from games like the Capcom cps1 brawler, konami brawlers like tmnt, golden axe or streets of rage.

There are brawler which are way more complex with controls, like battle circuit (which has 4 player and RPG elements and sick combos), alien vs Predator or the ultimate brawler imo "Guardians" which has the best combo engine to date for a arcade brawler.

Yes, we both agreed that the Moonstone combat is not suitable, currently the control is more similar to Golden Axe (even if the dash move is still in development). Eventually, we may expand it to be a little bit more advanced.

Regarding the AI, I did a first attempt which gave similar results are the AI seen in the Beats of Rage for Atari Falcon video in another thread on this forum. That didn't appeal to me (especially when there were more than 2 enemies on the screen), because every enemy went for the shortest path towards the player, many times they were completely overlapping each other. I hope to make something a little bit better for this game.

In relation to RPG elements. We are thinking about some kind of experience point collecting system, with gradual improvement of the characters abilities as result.

We will see how much of all this can be implemented in the end?

19 hours ago, grips03 said:

Reminds me of Sengoku 1,2,3 for NeoGeo

I thought the same seeing this.  I used to love Sengoku, Burning Fight and Final Fight in the arcades back in the 90s. 

This looks very promising and fills a much needed genre gap in the Jaguar's library.  Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

It's already been said, but adding my thought to the chorus that I'm quite happy to see not just this but some other genres being brought to the console that Atari was just never good at focusing on. 

Since we're also throwing out different hack/n slashers, here's a super obscure (but fun) arcade one called The Crystal Of Kings. Made heavy use of pre-rendered sprites:

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

Looks awesome, I've been waiting to see when someone might try a beat-em-up! You've got a lot going on, you sure you can keep up?

We have to decide in which order the projects shall be prioritised, but there are certainly prototypes for games to be released for years to come.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/24/2022 at 12:28 AM, Eternal-Krauser said:

For now we have the design and animations of 1 hero and 6 enemies, 10 stages made up of 25 sub-levels, but there are still a lot of things to do, I can anticipate that there is currently much more content regarding the published video.

Awesome.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 1:28 AM, Eternal-Krauser said:

For now we have the design and animations of 1 hero and 6 enemies, 10 stages made up of 25 sub-levels, but there are still a lot of things to do, I can anticipate that there is currently much more content regarding the published video.

This is great news! I hope to see a more in-depth gameplay video soon. In the meantime, can you divulge any features the game has/will have (i.e.selectable characters, power ups, etc.)?

On 6/6/2022 at 12:53 PM, Eternal-Krauser said:

Just a little preview for the most anxious
W.I.P.

The vegetation in front of the enemy's head at the top right (in the first image) indicate that there is a front layer now (e.g. a scrolling layer in front of the characters)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 7:46 AM, tripled79 said:

Will there be 10 levels of gore to choose fro like in Kasumi Ninja?

Even if there is a more family friendly option? Doesn't that upset the video game content rating?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_content_rating_system

I mean how can it be guaranteed that an underage child does not enable the adult setting, even if it is protected by some code?

Once this code is out, it will be usable to anyone that is old enough to read.

Edited by rogneda