IGNORED

Tutor Pro Question about random serial numbers

Is there a Tutor Pro serial# Database anywhere other than Joe Z's reverse engineering Tutor pages? (Which is awsome by the way... so much great information).

Im just wondering if anyone is keeping track of the serial #'s and have any thoughts on the reasons why they are so sperratic. I actually have a thought and wanted to ask others if it sounds feasible.. especially those that were involved with production like maybe BSR Steve. This subject may have already been discussed, but i couldnt find anything regarding the reasons why some of these Tutor Pros show up with random serial numbers.

At first i thought the Tutor Pro's were all made around the same serial #s so i tried finding those with low serials.. mainly looking for (7500 - 12,000) to buy. But by seeing Joe Zs serials on his tutor pro pages and seeing the few serial #s of the few found since, has made me think there was a simple answer.

Is it possible that these Tutor boards were made (or started) in preperation for production of TutorVision systems (to be made along side of Super Pro systems)? When TutorVision fell through, it is my belief that they had a surplus of PCBs and utelized their stock when repairing returned, non-working Super Pro systems. It makes sense that they would replace the boards (if they had the stock on hand) rather than take the time to troubleshoot the PCBs.

If this is feasible, it would explain why the serial numbers of the Tutor Pros are so random.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Both the SP TutorVisions I had had hand written S/N's.

A026101 and A10461

Almost 15K difference.

It's hard to tell what INTV was thinking. One thought is that at the end when the writing was on the wall that the game was over, they just started throwing any and everything into units to sell as fast as they could.

1 hour ago, Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog said:

Is it possible that these Tutor boards were made (or started) in preperation for production of TutorVision systems (to be made along side of Super Pro systems)? When TutorVision fell through, it is my belief that they had a surplus of PCBs and utelized their stock when repairing returned, non-working Super Pro systems. It makes sense that they would replace the boards (if they had the stock on hand) rather than take the time to troubleshoot the PCBs.

If this is feasible, it would explain why the serial numbers of the Tutor Pros are so random.

For sure, it would have made sense for Tutorvisions and Intellivisions to share the same boards.  They even put the circuitry in place to disable the extra gram to make it more Intellivision compatible. 

INTV serial numbers aren't exactly in order for whatever reason, but they most certainly would be among the last Intellivisions made.  It's also possible they end up in a repaired console.  Better to go by other clues besides serial numbers.

I have been tracking them best I can since we discovered they exist and all I see is most fall under #10500 or between #26000-31500.

But then Joe had I believe a full tutor that was like #13010...

Not sure of any other full or partial tutors out of those ranges though. And of course there are non tutors in those ranges too.

So anything is possible. Makes you wonder though if they started putting the new boards in the super pro and found all the glitches with regular games and then stopped. But then at the end when they were using whatever parts they had they threw them in some again?

The repair idea would make sense too.

Here's my list of Tutor Pros.  This list is likely incomplete.  Also, I have omitted some serial numbers for original Intellivisions that show the serial number do not have continuity (example: there are some original Intellivisions interspersed in 8500-8900 range between some of the INTV88 boards).

Motherboard         GRAM enabled    GROM            EXEC Type   Notes
    A 8644      INTV88              Yes?            INTV 1986       EXEC 1      Datecode 8912 STIC 1A ASIC
    A 8652      INTV88               ?                 ?               ?        Lathe26's unit

A 8774      INTV88               ?                 ?            EXEC 1

A 8800      INTV88              Yes             INTV 1986       EXEC 1      Lathe26's unit

A 8906      INTV88               ?              INTV 1986          ?
    A 10045     INTV88              Yes             INTV            WBEXEC
    A 10461     INTV88              Yes             INTV            WBEXEC

A 10302     INTV88               ?                 ?               ?

A 13010     INTV88               ?                 ?            WBEXEC      

A 13142     INTV88               ?                 ?               ?        Photo from eBay, can see uber-capacitor through the vents
    A 26841     INTV88               ?                 ?               ?       

A 031062    INTV88               ?                 ?            EXEC 1

A 031118    INTV88              Yes             INTV 1986       WBEXEC      Datecode 8930 STIC 1A ASIC
    A 031240    INTV88              Yes             INTV 1986       WBEXEC      Datecode 8930 STIC 1A ASIC, Lathe26's unit
    A 031383    INTV88               ?              INTV 1986       WBEXEC      Photo from eBay, can see uber-capacitor through the vents, Psycho Stormtrooper's

• Like 2

I also have these serials in my list:

8774y, 10302, 13010z, 26841, 31062y

The z means it has the expanded wbexec, y means a standard intellivision exec.

It looks like the range 8644 to 8800 do not have the expanded wbexec while the range >31118 might have it.

Edited by mr_me

Yes.. with all of the information from everyone, its painting an interesting, but caotic picture of how they were produced & distributed. Looking more and more as if they were grabbing whatever they had to get the systems out.

Seems to me that the higher serial# systems were more likely to have Tutor parts including expanded wbexec (atleast from info known).

Anyone know how many Super Pro systems were sold?

Edited by Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/4/2022 at 11:17 PM, Lathe26 said:

Here's my list of Tutor Pros.  This list is likely incomplete.  Also, I have omitted some serial numbers for original Intellivisions that show the serial number do not have continuity (example: there are some original Intellivisions interspersed in 8500-8900 range between some of the INTV88 boards).

A 8644      INTV88              Yes?            INTV 1986       EXEC 1      Datecode 8912 STIC 1A ASIC
    A 8652      INTV88               ?                 ?               ?        Lathe26's unit

A 8774      INTV88               ?                 ?            EXEC 1

A 8800      INTV88              Yes             INTV 1986       EXEC 1      Lathe26's unit

A 8906      INTV88               ?              INTV 1986          ?

A 10302     INTV88               ?                 ?               ?

A 13010     INTV88               ?                 ?            WBEXEC      

A 13142     INTV88               ?                 ?               ?        Photo from eBay, can see uber-capacitor through the vents
    A 26841     INTV88               ?                 ?               ?       

A 031062    INTV88               ?                 ?            EXEC 1

A 031118    INTV88              Yes             INTV 1986       WBEXEC      Datecode 8930 STIC 1A ASIC
    A 031240    INTV88              Yes             INTV 1986       WBEXEC      Datecode 8930 STIC 1A ASIC, Lathe26's unit
    A 031383    INTV88               ?              INTV 1986       WBEXEC      Photo from eBay, can see uber-capacitor through the vents, Psycho Stormtrooper's

Do you have an updated list Lathe?

I know there was one sold on Ebay about a month ago. And i just found another

Here's the updated list.  Only a handful more were added and then I got lazy about updating.  If you have serial numbers or photos, I could add them to the list.

A 8652      INTV88              Yes             INTV 1986       EXEC 1      Lathe26's unit
    A 8774      INTV88               ?               ?              EXEC 1
    A 8906      INTV88               ?              INTV 1986
    A 10302     INTV88               ?               ?               ?   
    A 13010     INTV88               ?               ?              WBEXEC      
    A 13142     INTV88               ?               ?               ?          Can see uber-capacitor through the vents
    A 26841     INTV88               ?               ?               ?          
    A 031062    INTV88               ?               ?              EXEC 1
    A 031383    INTV88               ?              INTV 1986       WBEXEC      Can see uber-capacitor through the vents
    A 031422    INTV88              Yes             INTV 1986       WBEXEC      Confirmed by Freewheel Diagnostics cart