IGNORED

AtGames 2022 Speculation Thread

On 4/12/2022 at 7:47 PM, Slikatel said:

Here are a couple examples of the iconic 2600 joystick with extra buttons. The Hyperkin Trooper II and the Blaze Retro Progressive Joystick

Well, yes I do find that interesting.  as I have stated many time in posts on AtariAge, I really like they Trooper II.  It's designed essentially for use in Retroarch (and hence, Emuelec, Batocera, Recalbox, and the like).   For playing any two button 7800 or 5200 game it's great to have the primary action be the traditional Atari fire button, and the rear left trigger be the secondary action.  The right-side buttons are just for lefties IMO, though they could be mapped to other weird purposes like startup selections in say Colecovision games.  On the front are Select and Start which are pretty essential in navigating through retroarch.

I actually am a big fan of AtGames products and own quite a few.  I do wish they would add a second action button to a new Flashback, as you say for "side load" games.  It would be huge to me and some of us "Atari freaks" but not really worth their money if they are not providing some two button games.

I love the idea someone had above to just add some of the great home brew games.  They could probably (are rights even needed when already published to the world on AtariAge?) include many of those 7800/5200 games (Scramble!) for free.  I know they don't always have name recognition, but they are not as "low res" as 2600 games, and often quite fun.  From reviews I have read, even the "Nostalgia Flashback Buyers" sometimes gripe "I didn't remember how blocky the 2600 graphics were" and might appreciate the slightly improved games added from the later consoles.  I always figured that's why the arcade ports of Frogger and Space Invaders were thrown in...

22 minutes ago, rocketfan said:

I always figured that's why the arcade ports of Frogger and Space Invaders were thrown in...

I thought I heard Taito and Konami (and even Namco on the AFBP Pac-Man) were the ones that requested updated versions. I just wish they would have included both versions. I like how the PCEngine mini did it with hold select when starting a game for the updated version.

As far as homebrews go... the flashbacks have always had some hacks and homebrews included in the past. If that what it takes to get 7800 support on a flashback then, get the handful of atari games atgames can and some decent homebrew to fill it out. Although, I doubt they can just grab anyone's homebrew for free. Public Domain games I guess they can grab, but I don't think all homebrews are automatically PD. Also not sure about homebrews of official games either. I'm guessing Namco had to okay that Pac-Man 4K/8K switcheroo. Maybe @Bill Loguidice can tell us more, instead of me just guessing :) .

On 4/8/2022 at 12:07 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

there are not enough impactful games left in Atari's library holdings to license for the Jaguar, plus it's difficult to emulate, especially on commodity hardware

Hi Bill, This is more like "AtGames Speculation 2026" but I hope you guys are keeping an eye on the MiSTer stuff (Jaguar core news below) and maybe thinking about ways to turn it "commodity".  It's not SO expensive and I have wondered if mass production could make it a lot cheaper (usually does).  It sure sounds like the next thing closer to running on the real thing.  I love software emulation for what it brings us, but anyone who plays on both real hardware and any sort of emulation (even when it's good) knows there is still that intangible difference that makes games a tiny bit easier and more enjoyable to play on the real thing.  I will probably invest in this eventually, because a lot of the products coming out are just re-hashes of something I can already do, but this seems to take it to the next level.  Of course the difference between the current Mister world and what AtGames turns out is the attention to detail in the presentation and front end.  The mister is still in that "designed by developers, only for other developers" phase.

9 hours ago, rocketfan said:

I love the idea someone had above to just add some of the great home brew games.  They could probably (are rights even needed when already published to the world on AtariAge?) include many of those 7800/5200 games (Scramble!) for free.  I know they don't always have name recognition, but they are not as "low res" as 2600 games, and often quite fun.  From reviews I have read, even the "Nostalgia Flashback Buyers" sometimes gripe "I didn't remember how blocky the 2600 graphics were" and might appreciate the slightly improved games added from the later consoles.  I always figured that's why the arcade ports of Frogger and Space Invaders were thrown in...

Original ports of those two games were included by publisher request. For the original Frogger port (and the arcade original, frankly, which is why you don't see it with the original music anymore anywhere), the main issue was the music not being properly licensed, and for the original Space Invaders port, I suppose it was different enough where TAITO doesn't want their name associated with it (although I'd of course argue it's a pretty great game all on its own). It was pretty much the same deal with original Atari 2600 Pac-Man, though I do believe that was released elsewhere by others officially, so Bandai Namco could clearly be persuaded somehow.

32 minutes ago, rocketfan said:

Hi Bill, This is more like "AtGames Speculation 2026" but I hope you guys are keeping an eye on the MiSTer stuff (Jaguar core news below) and maybe thinking about ways to turn it "commodity".  It's not SO expensive and I have wondered if mass production could make it a lot cheaper (usually does).  It sure sounds like the next thing closer to running on the real thing.  I love software emulation for what it brings us, but anyone who plays on both real hardware and any sort of emulation (even when it's good) knows there is still that intangible difference that makes games a tiny bit easier and more enjoyable to play on the real thing.  I will probably invest in this eventually, because a lot of the products coming out are just re-hashes of something I can already do, but this seems to take it to the next level.  Of course the difference between the current Mister world and what AtGames turns out is the attention to detail in the presentation and front end.  The mister is still in that "designed by developers, only for other developers" phase.

I discussed FPGAs with the company several years back. As you say, the issue is price. You can satisfy most of the audience and charge a relatively low price because the boards are inexpensive in quantity. The FPGA stuff is just not there yet. I imagine that's what everyone will be using at some point, it's just a matter of, as you also say, when. 

It's also funny that you make that comment about the MiST/MiSTer. The developers are very sensitive about exactly that topic and instead argue that they're easier to use than something like a Pi and in fact the two should be reversed, i.e., a Pi is more developer-focused and a MiSTer is more user-focused. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 9:09 PM, Slikatel said:

understood. the idea is the small sticks got clearance to 50 bucks so they are done for and they can't cost that much to make more reskinned. My thought was the afb pcb was cheaper than the legends devices pcb, but now im guessing maybe not. the idea was to sell it under the price of the current legends devices as a holiday impulse buy.

Just an FYI, it's still an active product and, like the other arcade products, will actually be sold at more retailers (which we announced) going forward.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 8:26 AM, Bill Loguidice said:

a Pi is more developer-focused and a MiSTer is more user-focused.

Well, neither are really very "non-techie" friendly.  When I just looked into what was needed HW-wise for Mister it seemed a little cumbersome, and the "user interface" (what there was) did not seem too friendly to me.  One thing I like about the more commercial products, including the ones from atGames - just plug them in and start playing - no real learning curve involved.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here’s what I anticipate from (Sh)AtGames in 2022:

1 - more broken promises,

2 - more missed deadlines,

3 - more outright lies,

4 - more “sales” that benefit their bottom line more so than to reward loyal customers & generate goodwill by offering an opportunity for genuine savings, and

5 - more videos of enthusiastic YouTubers with plastered-on smiles acting as PR flaks in exchange for perqs

I have genuinely rooted for this company’s success for years now and have tried to follow most every bit of news about it (exclusively, with little-to-no interest in their competitors), but have been disappointed on so many occasions that I’m just utterly frustrated to the point of apathy.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...

I like the packaging. It definitely looks better than previous Flashback boxes. The quantity is still the same as the 2019 "X" model. They probably shifted games around. I'd like to see Imagic games present this time. I wonder if any improvements have been made since 2019. It looks like they're recycling the case design from the 2019 model as well.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2022 at 12:32 AM, StephenJ said:

Hi everyone,

FYIY...

On Sept 1st I sent the following question to Atgames:
"...Will Atgames be releasing the Atari Flashback 11 anytime soon?..."

On Sept 8th they responded:

"...Yes, we plan to release our latest Atari console before Christmas this year..."

https://www.gamesmen.com.au/atari-flashback-11-console

atari_flashback_11_console.jpg.585e0001eda31502693837bd5bb565af.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I suppose I will be doing the physical unit just one more time. :D

"Will it ever end?  Will I need a larger house?  Tune in next year to find out!"

I am not sure if I should find a Support Group for the physical Atari Flashbacks, or if I should be the one to start the group myself out of sheer desperation... ;)

... but I will try to get one of these.  I am not sure if this is addiction or tradition anymore. 

MrBlackCat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 2:45 AM, Atariboy said:

There's also a premium version apparently.

Thank you, AtGames!  If they only had added back "easy" expansion I would be ecstatic.  That list of built in games is very good though, with most of the really iconic games included.  This will be a great product for someone who wants to casually revisit their childhood playing some Atari 2600.

Now - how about reskinning these for HD Colecovision and Intellivision "mini" versions for 2023!

Edited by rocketfan
  • Like 3