IGNORED

AtGames 2022 Speculation Thread

On 10/30/2022 at 11:21 AM, rocketfan said:

Googling around a bit, here's the 110 games list.  So no Pitfall (I/II), Demon Attack, Spider Fighter, and 16 others I didn't figure out yet.

image.thumb.png.e0242649314b1058d8e01587bc77e598.png

The "gold" version of this console will have the games you mention(plus many other Activision releases).   I know that it is just marketing releasing two versions of the console, but I can see from a general consumer point of video how this could be frustrating.   Hopefully these can be modded to add the games that you want like the other recent versions.  

atari-reto-gold-spiele-liste.jpg.91fc2bc764dc9b1e3a14fcdf2664e91b.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, pimpmaul69 said:

This is a huge disappointment between the mockup photo and your actual flashback:

2D37B565-EAD7-41EE-8087-AFF3F8405907.jpeg

Do you mean because of the Wired controllers?

If so, this might not be for everyone... I have all FlashBacks and play them occasionally and much prefer the wired to wireless controllers.  No batteries to fail, be removed, or replaced, as well as no potential damage from corrosion should batteries leak inside the controller.

In the past, lag was another issue, but that was not an issue on the later versions in my experience.  I always use wired controllers unless I am testing.

Because of these things, I always seek out wired controllers. In the past there have been wired versions specifically produced for different vendors which I seek out.

Are there other reasons for being huge disappoint? 

MrBlackCat

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 12:50 PM, MrBlackCat said:

Do you mean because of the Wired controllers?

If so, this might not be for everyone... I have all FlashBacks and play them occasionally and much prefer the wired to wireless controllers.  No batteries to fail, be removed, or replaced, as well as no potential damage from corrosion should batteries leak inside the controller.

In the past, lag was another issue, but that was not an issue on the later versions in my experience.  I always use wired controllers unless I am testing.

Because of these things, I always seek out wired controllers. In the past there have been wired versions specifically produced for different vendors which I seek out.

Are there other reasons for being huge disappoint? 

MrBlackCat

I knew it came with wired. I was just hoping to have wireless as an option since the x doesnt have it either. 

2 hours ago, pimpmaul69 said:

I knew it came with wired. I was just hoping to have wireless as an option since the x doesnt have it either. 

I understand... I too prefer options, as it is better for the market most of the time.

I wonder if the units without wireless controllers still have the wireless receiver hardware inside of them to work with wireless controllers from earlier models.  I might test this as I do have models that came with them.

If so, maybe you can trade me your wired for my wireless controllers. :)

MrBlackCat

28 minutes ago, MrBlackCat said:

I understand... I too prefer options, as it is better for the market most of the time.

I wonder if the units without wireless controllers still have the wireless receiver hardware inside of them to work with wireless controllers from earlier models.  I might test this as I do have models that came with them.

If so, maybe you can trade me your wired for my wireless controllers. :)

MrBlackCat

They do not. The antenna is there and solder pads but no circuitry. And it’s just different enough, that you wouldn’t be able to swap the parts out from an afb 9 gold. 

Edited by pimpmaul69

On 11/7/2022 at 2:42 PM, swlovinist said:

Here is my unboxing and review of the Atari Flashback 50th Anniversary Edition

Mr. Hancock, thanks for taking a chance and ordering from that site - it looked a little sketchy to me!  Also, good review as always.  It's nice just to see it is real.  They put on a pretty great collection of 2600 games people would want.  IMO the gold version is the only way to go for anyone who is just picking it up for nostalgia, just to get the paddles.  We modded the X version to be able to play other Atari consoles and 8-bit games as well.  Hoping that the new models have not eliminated that possibility.

• Like 1

Mid December doesn't sound too logical for something aimed at Christmas shoppers. Right now is when they traditionally try to have these out.

And AtGames never gives release dates. We find out when a new one has released when reports start to appear of people finding it on the shelf of a local store to buy. That's the AtGames way.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, lucienEn said:

Is it possible that the X Firmware could work on this using the same USB OTG method? Not sure if risky but if the internals are identical it should work in theory.

The problem isnt hardware. A software change determines what version is what. So you could brick it with the wrong update. 

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the usual locations locally here, no luck.  Most years Dollar General stores have them out at Thanksgiving day or Black Friday, but this year they really didn't have much of the usual seasonal merchandise out.  If I see them out in the Southern US, I will post here.  I would like to get the Gold Edition this year.  :)

40 minutes ago, MrBlackCat said:

I checked the usual locations locally here, no luck.  Most years Dollar General stores have them out at Thanksgiving day or Black Friday, but this year they really didn't have much of the usual seasonal merchandise out.  If I see them out in the Southern US, I will post here.  I would like to get the Gold Edition this year.  :)

I stated the u.s. release date previously. It was listed as either december 15th or 19th. I forget which.