IGNORED

MSX Monitor Choices

Located in Canada, Im looking for suggestions on using a monitor or TV with my Japanese Sony MSX2 I have on order.

The connector on the computer itself is I believe an 8-pin DIN plug.  

I have in my stockpile a PAL TV with SCART connector, rest have no SCART - a Commodore 1902a, various models of Amiga monitors 1080, 1084, 1084s, a Sony 1302A

Any one of these means putting together a custom cable I expect.  Anyone  using one of these or have a suggestion?

I have an MSX 2+ and I think it just had a composite plug on it.  I was able to get it S-Video modded and it looks super sharp so that's what I use now.  Which model do you have?  I wasn't aware that the MSX used any special monitor connector.  Got a picture?

5 hours ago, coleconut said:

Any one of these means putting together a custom cable I expect.

I'm currently struggling with figuring out one for DIN 8A - SCART for my Japanese MSX2. Somebody made one for me just yesterday according to info from this thread and wiki, but it doesn't work. Not sure why, since I don't know anything about electronics, but lack of clear schematic is not helping. There is more info on their wiki, so maybe you will find one for yourself.

I have it connected via composite atm, and it's okay, but RGB would be much better (as I can see from my MiSTer).

Edited by youxia

I think there are at least a handful different monitor pinouts on various MSX computers, so while they're internally the same in terms of hardware, the connectors are not identical. Regarding which screen to use, the 1084 ones should have analog RGB input through a DIN connector if it doesn't have SCART. Yet even if the number of pins in both ends would be the same, you can't expect that a direct cable in any way is compatible before looking it up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MSX tried to have a standard for video pinout but it wasn't required and as such several manufacturers made their own thing.

Your PAL TV most likely support 60 htz so it would be a good candidate.

You will probably have to make your own cable, but there are normally no oddities in cabling; no resistors or caps to add, just 8 wires to solder.