IGNORED

Ducky '22 (WIP)...maybe. Happy Friday!

rsiddall

Ducky ’22

You start out with 4 lives - survive as long as possible to rack up big points!

Press joystick up to start the game.

Avoid sea ice (logs) and the frozen shoreline. It will cost you a life if you collide with either. Avoid getting caught behind a log at all costs as it is almost certain death!

You can knock the dragonflies out of the air with a quick squirt from your beak or eat them (run over).

• Shoot = 5 points <Fire Button>

• Run Over = 1 point

You can hold the button down (constant fire) and get a continual “quack” if you’re one of those types.

Wish List:

Better “Quack” sound effect. Anyone want to provide a better sample?

Would prefer it to be in this format:

AUDC0 = 0 : AUDV0 = 0 : AUDF0 = 0

Was thinking of background music playing but most people seem to always want an option to turn off.

Extra Life

Title.jpg

Start.jpg

Dragonfly.jpg

Ducky_22WIP.bin

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Okay this is cute and pretty fun so far. Nice use of the starfield effect, btw. It took me a bit to figure out that I had to press up to start a game (neither reset nor fire worked).

Thanks! I'll edit to make that more clear.

Was entertaining the idea of having it play "Rubber Ducky" endlessly. ?

14 hours ago, DeafAtariFromKansas said:

One problem is randomize.  this game is looking easy if you stay in same path pass between sea ice (logs).. ☺️

Yes, there are a couple of spots where you can "take a break" but I like to call those "features". ?

I could make it harder but felt like if you are trying to shoot the dragonflies (more points) you are moving around more and as a result, avoiding the logs is a little harder.

Edited by rsiddall

This isn't an update as much as it's a harder version based on requests from @DeafAtariFromKansas and @Karl G.

I've left areas near the shorelines more open for maneuvering but increased the number of ice logs. These are random and will come/go but shouldn't put the player in immediate danger as they will only appear at the top and move down. More tweaking may be needed but this is really just a 'proof of concept'.

When you are down to one player, the score will change to a reddish color denoting last life.

I had a question involving 'extra lives' but can't seem to make it work with the 6lives.asm display. Had better progress on the pfscore version but it involves number of collisions (dragonflies shot or ran over) and that would require changing the point values to an equal number (negating the push to shoot them rather than eat). It won't let me do something as simple as "if score = (numerical value here) then lives = lives + 32".

Harder_Ducky.bin

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rsiddall said:

It won't let me do something as simple as "if score = (numerical value here) then lives = lives + 32".

Read the section in: https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dpc_score_background

under "To change the score, some examples of valid operations are:"

;```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
   ;  Converts 6 digit score to 3 sets of two digits.
   ;
   ;  The 100 thousands and 10 thousands digits are held by _sc1.
   ;  The thousands and hundreds digits are held by _sc2.
   ;  The tens and ones digits are held by _sc3.
   ;
   dim _sc1 = score
   dim _sc2 = score+1
   dim _sc3 = score+2

The example above does not use up any of your variables. Starting from left to right, _sc1 holds the 100 thousands and 10 thousands digits, _sc2 holds the thousands and hundreds, and _sc3 holds the tens and ones. Since these are all BCD numbers, you need to place a "$" in front of any values you check. For example, to check if the score is less than 10:

if _sc1 = $00 && _sc2 = $00 && _sc3 < $10 then ...

Edited by Fort Apocalypse
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fort Apocalypse said:

Read the section in: https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dpc_score_background

under "To change the score, some examples of valid operations are:"

Okay, let me play around with that and see what I can do.

I didn't realize score was a special object (a 24-bit BCD number). So that explains why I can't use "if score =" even though it compiles.

Thanks!

I believe I've got the "extra lives" working if anyone wants to test.

Extra Life @ 50 points for both of these versions:

Normal

Ducky22.bin

Hard

Ducky22-H.bin

UPDATE: I just realized you only get an extra life if you eat/run over the dragonfly.

I'll have to tweak the code a little more. As long as you don't shoot the fly while the score turns 50, you'll get the extra life.

I'll be honest...I only tested the 'normal' version cause the other is too hard for me. Code is the same, so above applies as well.

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rsiddall said:

I believe I've got the "extra lives" working if anyone wants to test.

Extra Life @ 50 points for both of these versions:

I tried the hard version. I am still safe seemingly indefinitely if I stick to the right side of the screen. Also, often I seem to lose all of my lives in one shot when I collide with sea ice. I would suggest having a short invulnerable period that goes away after a couple of seconds, or until the player shoots.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I tried the hard version. I am still safe seemingly indefinitely if I stick to the right side of the screen. Also, often I seem to lose all of my lives in one shot when I collide with sea ice. I would suggest having a short invulnerable period that goes away after a couple of seconds, or until the player shoots.

Confirmed I stick on left side too, still safe....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Karl G said:

I can definitely add more logs AND spread out. I'm not as hardcore as you guys! ?

I'll look into something to keep "instant death" from happening.

Edited by rsiddall

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

Do you have any interest in an alternative quack sound? Just for fun, I made my own version that you are free to use if you like (no visuals, but hit fire to hear quack sound):

quack.bas 1020 B · 3 downloads

quack.bas.bin 4 kB · 3 downloads

Just threw it in quickly and wanted to say 'thank you' so much as this IS a better sound!!

It's an older version, but I wanted to plug-in the sound just for testing. Will update for real, tomorrow.

Duck-Quack.bin

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 1

Happy Friday (again)!!

Normal version with a few tweaks:

• 2pts for shooting dragonflies

• 2pts for eating/running over dragonflies

• Few extra ice logs but nothing terribly hard

• New quack sound courtesy of @Karl G

• If you are hit head on by an ice log (you still lose a life) but are moved to a safe area to avoid additional hits depleting your lives.

• Extra Life at 50pts (shooting or eating). Will raise that amount to 100pts but would like everyone to get a free life initially.

Still tweaking the hard version.

UPDATE: I messed the collision up!! This is the correct version, should do what I've listed above, and if you hit an ice log sideways (while moving left or right) it will only knock you over a space.

Ducky22.bin

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 2:15 PM, rsiddall said:

Devil Ducky!!

Normal

Devil22.bin 4 kB · 9 downloads

Cool!!

I keep dying. I think it's because I'm running into ice logs? Maybe Ducky could make a sound when he gets hit by an ice log, and when he dies, he could freeze to death or sink?

Some plot ideas, inspired by watching Moon Knight and reading a news post about a possible real-life Marvel Mirror Dimension:

doctor strange marvel GIF

Double Spirit Ducky: ducky and devil ducky move at the same time in split-screen different dimensions, but facing different bug opponents, like the The Mirror of Spirits in Lara Croft GO!

Eye Of The Tiger Workout GIF by FURCHILD

Ducky Needs A Priest: Ducky periodically turns into Devil Ducky. Ducky first goes to concession, to get bread. Eventually, though, Ducky must find a priest to get exercised, and game ends with "Eye of the Ducky" theme music!

Oscar Isaac Disney GIF by Nerdist.com

Disassociative Ducky Disaster: Ducky battles some dark character he can never quite catch. Eventually, Ducky learns that Ducky is fighting Ducky. But, instead of hilarity ensuing, they cry, hug, and swim into the sunset as one duck but with two duck reflections. Then the world is blown up to satisfy the French taste for film ending. Wins an Oscar as best film with a Grammy for best Ducky soundtrack.

Make It Rain Vhs GIF by Polyvinyl Records

Oh... no. Ducky.: Something involving two duckies that causes children to cry when they hear of it. Each cartridge would require a special passphrase to be typed to be sold from the back of the AtariAge store. Ducky would never be the same.

Of those, my least favorite is the last one.

Edited by Fort Apocalypse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fort Apocalypse said:

Cool!!

I keep dying. I think it's because I'm running into ice logs? Maybe Ducky could make a sound when he gets hit by an ice log, and when he dies, he could freeze to death or sink?

Some plot ideas, inspired by watching Moon Knight and reading a news post about a possible real-life Marvel Mirror Dimension:

doctor strange marvel GIF

Double Spirit Ducky: ducky and devil ducky move at the same time in split-screen different dimensions, but facing different bug opponents, like the The Mirror of Spirits in Lara Croft GO!

Eye Of The Tiger Workout GIF by FURCHILD

Ducky Needs A Priest: Ducky periodically turns into Devil Ducky. Ducky first goes to concession, to get bread. Eventually, though, Ducky must find a priest to get exercised, and game ends with "Eye of the Ducky" theme music!

Oscar Isaac Disney GIF by Nerdist.com

Disassociative Ducky Disaster: Ducky battles some dark character he can never quite catch. Eventually, Ducky learns that Ducky is fighting Ducky. But, instead of hilarity ensuing, they cry, hug, and swim into the sunset as one duck but with two duck reflections. Then the world is blown up to satisfy the French taste for film ending. Wins an Oscar as best film with a Grammy for best Ducky soundtrack.

Make It Rain Vhs GIF by Polyvinyl Records

Oh... no. Ducky.: Something involving two duckies that causes children to cry when they hear of it. Each cartridge would require a special passphrase to be typed to be sold from the back of the AtariAge store. Ducky would never be the same.

Of those, my least favorite is the last one.

LOL! Those are pretty inspired!! ?

In all seriousness, I do like your suggestion of death sound/animation. Might tinker around with those.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:00 PM, rsiddall said:

I believe all of these have been updated in some capacity...

Ducky '22 Normal

Ducky22.bin 4 kB · 8 downloads

Devil Ducky '22 Normal

Devil22.bin 4 kB · 7 downloads

Ducky '22 Harder

Ducky22-H.bin 4 kB · 5 downloads

I went straight for harder and it was like a flashback to my Flappy Bird addiction. Good stuff! I tried the other two also and they were also good!

• Like 1