IGNORED

Reports of a new Twisted Metal on the horizon...

I finally made that rant I did regarding Axel:

https://www.vidlii.com/watch?v=NNhdrm6sB7a

By the way, my favorite endings in Twisted Metal 2 are Axel and Minion's.

Other random, personal, TM Miscellania:

-Favorite Stages in TM1: Freeway Free-for-All and the Rooftop stage.

-TM4 had interesting level ideas, but they were lampshaded due to the TruPhysics engine.

-I will admit, TM4's Calypso ending was hilarious.

-That, and Darkside, Mime, Trapper, and Piecemeal should have had actual endings.

-As un-PC as this sounds, I also find Axel's Small Brawl ending to be kind of funny.

@famicommander You aren't the only person who has a low opinion on Small Brawl. Judging from longplay videos, it looked outdated, even by PS1 standards. Combined with questionable handling of the RC cars, bonus vehicles that have no proper endings, and a premise that wasn't executed well.

If only Sony included the first two Twisted Metal games as part of Playstation PC.

Bonus:

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SlidellMan said:

Under 10 Hours' Twisted Metal Retrospective:

He also has plans on covering Critical Depth, Rogue Trip, Vigilante 8, Interstate '76, etc.

From a Long Time Twisted Metal Fan,

For Brevity;

Here's my condensed review of Every Twisted Metal Game:

They are ALL AWESOME!   10/10 PERFECT!   Except for:

Twisted Metal: Small Brawl   (F'ed Up Controls in Reverse)  5/10 (Average)

Twisted Metal (PS3)  Absolutely Unplayable because you can't control the car with the D-PAD!!!  0/10

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

One of the very few franchises involving combat and driving that I could never get into.   I just saw the above post saying the one on PS3 is horrible.. that's the one I first played and the longest one I played.. so there are better ones?

Certainly your mileage may vary,  but I ALWAYS controlled the car with the D-PAD (Not the analog stick), so to me the PS3 version was unplayable.  As for Better,  I think Twisted Metal 1-4 and Twisted Metal Black are better.  Part 2 may be the best in many ways,  though I have a soft spot for 3 and 4 also...And Twisted Metal Black was Amazing even though the controls got downright floaty at times and they changed the special moves too much, but it's still great!

I loooooved Twisted Metal 1 & 2 as a kid on the OG PlayStation. Never played the PS3 one though but have not heard good things at all about it. Hopefully if there is a new one I'll hear good things about ala the OG PlayStation ones, then I may potentially check it out!

• Like 1

Maybe, too,  I should point out that as much as it pisses me (personally) off that you can't control the car with the D-PAD in Twisted Metal PS3,  I don't think I've ever heard anyone else bring it up.   Maybe if you don't mind the analog stick it's fine.  I wouldn't know because I gave up within 5 minutes and pronounced "modern" video games DEAD.  Though I would later decide to give "modern" another chance and I bought a Wii U.

Oh man I jumped back into modern gaming with the Wii U too!  Being a racing games.of all subgenres fan u can tell how angry I was. I remember looking for to, I shit u not, Hello Kitty Kruisers.  At least it had the first fast Racing Neo game on it. What a garbage system for racing games.  Mario kart 8 was the only good one and even that got so corny and shrill.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Good Twisted Metal games:
Twisted Metal

Twisted Metal 2

Twisted Metal Black

Twisted Metal: Head On

Trash Twisted Metal games:

Twisted Metal 3

Twisted Metal 4

Twisted Metal: Small Brawl

Twisted Metal (PS3)

Confidence is low they'll make something worth playing. The PS3 game was a crushing disappointment.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 1:33 PM, famicommander said:

Good Twisted Metal games:
Twisted Metal

Twisted Metal 2

Twisted Metal Black

Twisted Metal: Head On

Trash Twisted Metal games:

Twisted Metal 3

Twisted Metal 4

Twisted Metal: Small Brawl

Twisted Metal (PS3)

Confidence is low they'll make something worth playing. The PS3 game was a crushing disappointment.

I agree 100% with this.

I loooooved TM2 in the late 90s... got hours upon hours of play with my roommates at University, and a few childhood friends too.  It definitely has a bit of jank to it, but I don't think it was ever truly matched by any other game in the series.  The music, the explosions, sound effects, level design, controls, etc. are just so good.

Speaking of controls, it just boggles my mind when developers make a sequel to a game that is fundamentally very similar to its predecessor in concept but they monkey around with the controls.  Like in TM3, if I recall correctly (it was 25 years ago so maybe not), I seem to remember they reversed the controls direction compared to TM2 when you back up and turn at the same time.  Like... whyyyyyy?  When you have a thousand hours' worth of muscle memory invested in a game, it's very difficult to enjoy a sequel that screws around with basics like this. 

I was really looking forward to the PS3 game and bought it very early on, but it had a similar problem.  I was still stuck in "TM2 controls" mode; the muscle memory from that kept kicking in and I couldn't make my car do what I wanted without pausing to think about it every step of the way (which is a great way to get your ass kicked quickly.)  I tried playing it for about 45 minutes and got nowhere with getting used to the controls.  I got so frustrated that I shut it off and never played it again.  I still have that copy of the game, but it has literally 45 minutes of playtime on it from 10+ years ago.