IGNORED

[COMPLETE] Night Watch at Wilford's (Five Nights at Freddy's Demake)

PixRuss

ADVISORY: This game contains jumpscares and lots of (unavoidable) sprite flickering.

FnafDemo_bas.thumb.png.af57fc1db31dbe2548fff10230e54947.png

As the sole nighttime security guard at the once-spectacular Wilford Wombat's Funtime Pizzeria, you must defend yourself from a band of rogue animatronics who are out to devour you. Can your quick wits, resourcefulness, and heed get you to the end of your shift — much less your first week on the job — alive?

- 7 NIGHTS OF UNBRIDLED CHAOS AND HORROR

- PLAYS LIKE FNAF 1 AND THEN SOME

- COUCH COMPLIANT

- GENESIS/MEGA DRIVE/2-BUTTON CONTROLLER SUPPORT*

- THE WAIT IS OVER! IT'S FINALLY COMPLETE! (I'll still update if any issues arise)

* The classic joystick works just fine, but boy, you'll have a much better time if you have that extra button!

DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION:

NTSC:Wilfords_NTSC.bas.bin

PAL50: Wilfords_PAL50.bas.bin

PAL60: Wilfords_PAL60.bas.bin

NOTE: I HIGHLY RECOMMEND EITHER TURNING ON STELLA'S PHOSPHOR SETTING OR PLAYING ON A CRT TV! This will significantly improve the sprite flickering in this game.

OLD VERSIONS:

COMPLETE BUILD (6/29/23):

- AI and gameplay balanced and better optimized

- Maya the Monster can no longer phase through the door

- You can no longer beat the game simply by leaving the doors closed all night

- Animatronics far less likely to rush towards your office unexpectedly (especially at the start of the night)

- Sound design slightly improved

- Optimization is better! Much less screen quivering in NTSC/PAL60 versions!

- Official artwork is on the way!

FnafDemo_bas.thumb.png.b12c6021945072bc71727657737a612a.png

CONTROLS: 

Left/Right: focus on one of the side doors in your office.

Left/Right then Up: open one of the side doors.

Left/Right then Down: close one of the side doors.

Left/Right + Second Button (Genesis/Mega Drive C button): open/close doors

Left/Right then Fire: Turn on either door light.

Down then Fire: Shut off all power; can be used in emergency situations.*

Up then Fire: Set off emergency alarm.**

No joystick motion, then hold Fire: enter security camera mode.

Hold Fire, then Joystick in any direction: switch security camera feeds.

B/W Switch/7800 Pause Button: pause game

* You'll have a limited amount of time to do this. When the right difficulty switch is set to B, it will slowly replenish when the power's back on. It will not if it's set to A.

** When the right difficulty switch is set to A, this will cease to function if you can no longer switch off the power.

_UI5az.thumb.png.fbb1c63d3e194caf11d6a8f3d64f49b1.pngWilfords_3.bas_2.thumb.png.47f36f71fc2de30c5386cc4d2a359371.pngWilfords_3.bas_4.thumb.png.66610f685e714e815e6e7b3acb812e74.png

HOW TO PLAY:

The amount of power you have left is shown in the left stamina bar. The amount of power being used at once is shown in the right.

The following actions will consume power, so do them strategically:

- Checking the security cameras

- Closing the doors (I'm happy to say that whoever designed those doors in your office was fired)

- Turning on the door lights (see if Carol or Mia are on their way into your office)

- Setting off the emergency alarm (wards off intruders and animatronics already in your office, but provokes animatronics' aggression for a bit)

Wilfords_3.bas_5.thumb.png.aee9e0692d926c8825aade8dc470f5d1.png

You'll have to deal with five animatronics:

- Carol Caw: Goes after you through the rooms on the left of your office. Very persistent. Credit to Fort Apocalypse for the name suggestion!

- Mia the Monster: Goes after you through the rooms on the right of your office, including an area whose camera can't pick up any video signals at this time. Extremely patient.

- Dave the Crane: Will slowly emerge from the second show stage before charging straight for your office (through the left door). This can be avoided by checking the cameras frequently and shutting your left door whenever he does come to get you.

- Wilford the Wombat: Unlike the others, Wilford has a bit of a strategy when it comes to popping into your office when you least expect him. He'll hang out by the right door or the nearby break room and wait patiently for your attention to drift elsewhere before attacking.

- Dave the Devil: Will only appear when the left difficulty switch is set to A. He'll attack you directly if you look at the cameras too much at once or if you're exhausted your ability to shut off the power. David the Devil was featured during the establishment's first year or so of business, but promptly retired and replaced with a shoddily-built crane when a bit of controversy broke out over it.

You may or may not have to deal with the occasional Burglar (you were hired to deal with them, after all). They will attempt to blend into their surroundings and hastily and quietly traverse from the front entryway and towards the power supply near the main stage. If you can catch them in the act, sound the alarm! But if you don't, you'll be all out of power before you know it.

LA6k8x.thumb.png.2efe083dead479b556c55a395536dd8f.png

FnafDemo.bas.bin

Edited by PixRuss
Update
  • Like 9

That looks great! Here are some ideas for animatronics names:
Tod the Fry (fish)

Carol Caw (crow)

Owen Reuben (sandwich)

Ed Rotbird (zombie bird)

Doug the Macaroni
Jerome the Rat

Old Matthew Hubbard (dolphin)

David the Man (man)

Nolan the Bush (a bush with a nail in it)

Mark the Corn (corn)

Zoltan

Greg the Monster

Mimi the Dogette (dog)

Dmitry Pavlov (dog)

24 minutes ago, Fort Apocalypse said:

That looks great! Here are some ideas for animatronics names:
Tod the Fry (fish)

Carol Caw (crow)

Owen Reuben (sandwich)

Ed Rotbird (zombie bird)

Doug the Macaroni
Jerome the Rat

Old Matthew Hubbard (dolphin)

David the Man (man)

Nolan the Bush (a bush with a nail in it)

Mark the Corn (corn)

Zoltan

Greg the Monster

Mimi the Dogette (dog)

Dmitry Pavlov (dog)

I'm a fan of Tod the Fry and Carol Caw ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
11 minutes ago, Skwrl63 said:

Is this the final version, or do you think there will be a few more updates in the future?

Looks great....... I was wondering if I could get it put on a actual cartridge at AtariAge so I can play it on my original setup?

It's a Beta version right now. I don't have any more updates in mind, I just want to make sure the gameplay, AI, etc. are nice and polished before officially declaring it "completed."

And yes, you may go ahead and make yourself a care! ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you so much for letting me put it on a cartridge. I know for copyright reasons you changed the animatronic characters in the game. But when I was putting together a label for the cartridge I just loved this image. The image was the night watchman shining his flashing light on the animatronics and felt it was very fitting for the game title.

Anyways...... Here are some of my notes.

1. I think when the doors are closed it should drain a little bit more of your power (so you're forced to keep the doors open at times). As the game sits now, you can keep the doors completely closed for the first 6 nights without running out of power. So you really don't have to play the game until night 7.

2. I'm still not able to beat night 7 yet😂.

3. I don't have the ability to play any BIN files on a emulator, except for my crappy cell phone app (which is why I wanted permission to put it on a cartridge). 

On my phone emulator there is quite a lot of "flashing/flickering" in the game. I think this is a similar problem that Pac-Man had when emulated. However, the game looks great on a CRT (no flickering at all). It's definitely a better playing experience on a CRT than it is playing on an emulator 👍

received_605318597944286.jpeg

received_1299694397445084.jpeg

Edited by Skwrl63
Correct spelling
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Skwrl63 said:

Anyways...... Here are some of my notes.

1. I think when the doors are closed it should drain a little bit more of your power (so you're forced to keep the doors open at times). As the game sits now, you can keep the doors completely closed for the first 6 nights without running out of power. So you really don't have to play the game until night 7.

2. I'm still not able to beat night 7 yet😂.

3. I don't have the ability to play any BIN files on a emulator, except for my crappy cell phone app (which is why I wanted permission to put it on a cartridge). 

On my phone emulator there is quite a lot of "flashing/flickering" in the game. I think this is a similar problem that Pac-Man had when emulated. However, the game looks great on a CRT (no flickering at all). It's definitely a better playing experience on a CRT than it is playing on an emulator 👍

I'm so glad you enjoy it!

Regarding the doors, I actually brought the power consumption of the doors down a little bit for this version because I thought previously the power drained too fast. I guess not! Next update will for sure fix that lol. That's also interesting because when I was doing some play-testing recently, I've noticed that Mia the Monster is able to either, a) basically phase through the right door, or b) is really good at sneaking in at the last second. But since you mentioned how much of the game you can basically skip by keeping the doors shut, it's good to know that she may not be quite as broken as I thought. Still, I'll fix that, too.

Since I've actually tested this game a fair amount on original hardware on a CRT, I can firmly attest that yes, a CRT is totally the way to go with this game if you want the full experience. Like you mentioned, the flickering is barely (if not much less) noticeable, and there are also some subtle effects and events that are especially effective that way (i.e. the death screen).

Still wondering if there's any way to reduce the screen "shakiness" in the NTSC/PAL60 versions of the game (unavoidable regardless of what you're playing on).

• 2 weeks later...

This game is amazing for Atari 2600 standards, but in terms of difficulty, the spike is huge from night one to night two, every time I lose in night two it's to Dave the Devil. Devil is very aggressive even on night two and the latest I've ever gotten was late 3am on night two, idk if I'm just bad or night 2 really is hard, but he is way too aggressive on every night passed night 1. But with that out of the way, I think the controls are great for the Atari, and although the game may never be perfect, this has great potential to be an amazing homebrew game if you update it more and make it so that the nights are easier, because right now they are near impossible.

Edit: I have now made it to night 3, but I'm having trouble with Carol the Caw because they attack in like two seconds shortly after the beginning of night 3, also the doors can stay shut the whole night without power running out, as of right now the only way to easily win is if you just cheese the game by keeping the doors shut, otherwise, it's next to impossible, but keep up the good work, can't wait for this game to get a physical release if it ever does.

Edited by Gamer1486
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gamer1486 said:

This game is amazing for Atari 2600 standards, but in terms of difficulty, the spike is huge from night one to night two, every time I lose in night two it's to Dave the Devil. Devil is very aggressive even on night two and the latest I've ever gotten was late 3am on night two, idk if I'm just bad or night 2 really is hard, but he is way too aggressive on every night passed night 1. But with that out of the way, I think the controls are great for the Atari, and although the game may never be perfect, this has great potential to be an amazing homebrew game if you update it more and make it so that the nights are easier, because right now they are near impossible.

Thank you so much! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Regarding the difficulty: Yes, the animatronics' AI gets exponentially aggressive (sometimes to an almost unfair degree) as the game continues (an issue I plan to tweak with new updates). However, Dave the Devil is really intended as an extra challenge; activating him using the left difficulty switch set to "A" causes him to attack if you're relying on the cameras too much. If it's this character you're having trouble with, make sure that switch set to "B" and he'll leave you alone. I hope this helps!

• 7 months later...
14 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Thanks!

Maybe I miss something. How do you close the doors? Left/Right + fire doesn't seem to work.

On a regular joystick controller:

Left then Up: open the left side door.

Left then Down: close the left side door.

Same goes for Right then Up/Down to open/close the right door.

Hope this helps!

Edited by PixRuss
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PixRuss said:

On a regular joystick controller:

Left then Up: open the left side door.

Left then Down: close the left side door.

Same goes for Right then Up/Down to open/close the right door.

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

Sorry, my question was wrong.

In fact I press Left/Right + Down or Left/Right then Down but nothing happens.

I am using Stella emulator.

9 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Thanks.

Sorry, my question was wrong.

In fact I press Left/Right + Down or Left/Right then Down but nothing happens.

I am using Stella emulator.

I've had this happen while play-testing the game. Since the game has two-button support, it seems to automatically detect such a controller. So now, it will only register Left/Right then whatever button you have binded to the second button to open/close the doors.

That said, I'd take a look at the Game Properties menu (via the Tab key), then the Controller tab.

7 minutes ago, PixRuss said:

I've had this happen while play-testing the game. Since the game has two-button support, it seems to automatically detect such a controller. So now, it will only register Left/Right then whatever button you have binded to the second button to open/close the doors.

That said, I'd take a look at the Game Properties menu (via the Tab key), then the Controller tab.

Exactly, with autodetect Stella detects Sega controller. I had to manually select joystick. Solved.

• Like 1