IGNORED

In Development: A New ADAM Computer System

NIAD

22 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Oh wow - this is exciting news.  Has there been any discussion around the possibility of it directly supporting original ADAM keyboards?

Yes. I brought up the subject seeing as he is already planning to support real cartridges and controllers and Danny replied that he was already looking into including full ADAMnet support which includes the keyboard and possibly emulated FujiNet ADAM support.

I was hoping that would the case even though I have a backup option with IntyDave's USB-ADAM Keyboard adapter.

There are three threads on the Coleco ADAM Facebook Group to check out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NIAD said:

Yes. I brought up the subject seeing as he is already planning to support real cartridges and controllers and Danny replied that he was already looking into including full ADAMnet support which includes the keyboard and possibly emulated FujiNet ADAM support.

I was hoping that would the case even though I have a backup option with IntyDave's USB-ADAM Keyboard adapter.

There are three threads on the Coleco ADAM Facebook Group to check out.

This is so unbelievably cool.  Thank you to everyone involved with this project.

A few questions:

1. Is this to be entirely software emulation, rather than FPGA hardware emulation?  (Not complaining, just wondering.)

2. Do the folks involved believe that this will support the roller controller?

3. I noticed the "32K=>" notation alongside the "cartridge input" notation.  Do the folks involved believe that this will support expanded ROM cartridges that would otherwise require an Adam and/or an SGM?  Will it support the expanded sound of the SGM?

4. If this is entirely software emulation, will it effectively support unmodified DDP images (that is, DDP images that would require an SD DDP drive to run on a real Adam due to the particular timing issues)?

5. Likely that this will also support Atari VCS games, as if an Expansion Module #1 was plugged in?

Again, thank you to everyone involved in this project.  This is beyond anything that I could have hoped for, and--as someone whose first computer was a neighbor's secondhand Coleco Adam--I am thrilled and hopeful that this will come to fruition.

One more question:

6. How do I place a bulk order?  ?

You'd really have to jump on the Coleco ADAM Facebook Group and ask Danny. This endeavor is in the very early stages, so everything is in flux.

1) Sounds like software emulation

2) Roller Controller needs to be powered somehow with a CV power supply otherwise it should work

3) Guessing that all cartridges will be compatible, even the larger ones

4) The ADE and FujiNet can support DDP image files, so I don't see why this wouldn't. Even if it doesn't, all the DDP image files are available as DISK image files

5) I doubt VCS/2600 games will be supported and see no reason for Feature Creep seeing as there are SO many ways to play those games. If it is eventually included, cool

6) To place an order, send me everything you got. It's non-refundable! ?

2 hours ago, NIAD said:

You'd really have to jump on the Coleco ADAM Facebook Group and ask Danny. This endeavor is in the very early stages, so everything is in flux.

1) Sounds like software emulation

2) Roller Controller needs to be powered somehow with a CV power supply otherwise it should work

3) Guessing that all cartridges will be compatible, even the larger ones

4) The ADE and FujiNet can support DDP image files, so I don't see why this wouldn't. Even if it doesn't, all the DDP image files are available as DISK image files

5) I doubt VCS/2600 games will be supported and see no reason for Feature Creep seeing as there are SO many ways to play those games. If it is eventually included, cool

6) To place an order, send me everything you got. It's non-refundable! ?

Thank you for all of the answers.  On a few particulars:

0) I am not on Facebook, so I will hope for at least semi-regular updates here on Atariage.

1) Okay.  Maybe that will make it easy to update the firmware.

2) Yeah, I figured on powering the roller controller with either a CV PSU or an Adam PSU plus the gray adapter bit.  Just wanted to make sure that it should work once powered.

3) Outstanding.  Do you think they plan to build in support for the extra SGM sound channels?

4) The ADE cannot support some of the commercial DDP image files that were originally calibrated to specific timing nuances of the DDD.  I think this is true of all of the original Super Game DDP images, unless modified to work with the ADE.  That said, I realize that modified versions of most of those DDP image files have been created, specifically for compatibility with the ADE, and that there are very few of us who actually care about seeing the slight loading delays at the end of several levels in the Buck Rogers Super Game (for me, it takes me back to when I was a wee lad playing Super Buck Rogers on my first Adam).  FYI, the device that does work perfectly with unmodified DDP image files is the "SD DDP" drive, which is like an ADE but (1) calibrated to specifically mimic the exact timing of a DDD, and (2) is compatible only with DDP images and not with DSK images.  But I recognize that this is a level of detail that no meaningful number of people would care enough about to make it worthwhile for the designer to work around.  I'm not complaining about this, and I am still thrilled with the project; I'm just curious about its scope.

5) Totally understand re feature creep.

Thank you again for bringing this to the attention of those of us who are not on Facebook.

Interesting. I see this a Linux-based machine. Will it boot straight into "ADAM mode", hopefully without the usual Linux splash/load screen(s)?

Also, the pictures above show a USB port reserved for a USB mouse. T'would be cool to replace the ADAM's original operating system with a BIOS that is a little closer to Windows (or maybe the old Apple MacIntosh?) but still entirely Z80-based.  :)

10 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Interesting. I see this a Linux-based machine. Will it boot straight into "ADAM mode", hopefully without the usual Linux splash/load screen(s)?

Also, the pictures above show a USB port reserved for a USB mouse. T'would be cool to replace the ADAM's original operating system with a BIOS that is a little closer to Windows (or maybe the old Apple MacIntosh?) but still entirely Z80-based.  :)

I vote for the above as an alternative boot.  (Maybe as one of several choices of BIOS upon boot?)  I sincerely hope that this system will boot into the friendly, happy blue SmartWRITER screen so familiar to those of us who grew up with the Adam.  ?

(On the other hand, this may be a good example of the "feature creep" that NIAD suggested avoiding.  I would be happy with a new machine that functions like the old one, with as few changes as possible... other than the ability to use SGM cartridges.)

Edited by timepilot

9 hours ago, timepilot said:

4) The ADE cannot support some of the commercial DDP image files that were originally calibrated to specific timing nuances of the DDD.  I think this is true of all of the original Super Game DDP images, unless modified to work with the ADE.  That said, I realize that modified versions of most of those DDP image files have been created, specifically for compatibility with the ADE, and that there are very few of us who actually care about seeing the slight loading delays at the end of several levels in the Buck Rogers Super Game (for me, it takes me back to when I was a wee lad playing Super Buck Rogers on my first Adam).  FYI, the device that does work perfectly with unmodified DDP image files is the "SD DDP" drive, which is like an ADE but (1) calibrated to specifically mimic the exact timing of a DDD, and (2) is compatible only with DDP images and not with DSK images.  But I recognize that this is a level of detail that no meaningful number of people would care enough about to make it worthwhile for the designer to work around.  I'm not complaining about this, and I am still thrilled with the project; I'm just curious about its scope.

This entire section is mostly incorrect. The limitation is caused by DDP programs that are hard coded to only work with specific DDP device numbers and has nothing to do with timing. This is even true with some physical DDP titles that were hard coded to only work with DDP drive 1 and wouldn't even work in DDP drive 2. The ADE and FujiNet don't have direct access to the internal DDP connections and therefore are forced to use disk drive device numbers when running DDP images. If the ADE were to try to support DDP drive numbers, it would directly conflict with the internal DDP 6801 and wouldn't work.

The only way to emulate a DDP with 100% accuracy, is using the SD DDP like you mostly said. Timing is crucial for the SD DDP for communicating the internal DDP 6801 only and has nothing to do with timing when the 6801 ultimately ends up on the ADAMnet bus. Also, the example I gave about some physical DDP titles that were hard coded to only work with DDP drive 1 and wouldn't even work in DDP drive 2. This is even true with the SD DDP and would then require two SD DDP drives in that case. Luckily, like you said, most troublesome DDP titles have been modified to work from all drive numbers, but no timing tweaks were ever made in the process.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

I only know what the developer has shared in the Facebook group, so will just have to wait and see as things develop. Figuring that many in this forum may not use Facebook, I wanted to share this bit of interesting news. I’d prefer not to use Facebook as well, but it’s a necessary evil for some of the Retro groups.

2 hours ago, Tekman said:

This entire section is mostly incorrect. The limitation is caused by DDP programs that are hard coded to only work with specific DDP device numbers and has nothing to do with timing. This is even true with some physical DDP titles that were hard coded to only work with DDP drive 1 and wouldn't even work in DDP drive 2. The ADE and FujiNet don't have direct access to the internal DDP connections and therefore are forced to use disk drive device numbers when running DDP images. If the ADE were to try to support DDP drive numbers, it would directly conflict with the internal DDP 6801 and wouldn't work.

The only way to emulate a DDP with 100% accuracy, is using the SD DDP like you mostly said. Timing is crucial for the SD DDP for communicating the internal DDP 6801 only and has nothing to do with timing when the 6801 ultimately ends up on the ADAMnet bus. Also, the example I gave about some physical DDP titles that were hard coded to only work with DDP drive 1 and wouldn't even work in DDP drive 2. This is even true with the SD DDP and would then require two SD DDP drives in that case. Luckily, like you said, most troublesome DDP titles have been modified to work from all drive numbers, but no timing tweaks were ever made in the process.

Thank you, Tekman, for correcting me.  This is what happens when I try to explain a technical point about which I, frankly and admittedly, have insufficient direct understanding.

I stand corrected, and I defer to Tekman, from whom I bought my SD DDP, on all points.

20 hours ago, timepilot said:

I vote for the above as an alternative boot.  (Maybe as one of several choices of BIOS upon boot?)  I sincerely hope that this system will boot into the friendly, happy blue SmartWRITER screen so familiar to those of us who grew up with the Adam.  ?

(On the other hand, this may be a good example of the "feature creep" that NIAD suggested avoiding.  I would be happy with a new machine that functions like the old one, with as few changes as possible... other than the ability to use SGM cartridges.)

I'd imagine the alternative mouse-friendly OS I'm suggesting would be a homebrew project made by someone with lots of free time, not necessarily Danny Van Den Heuvel himself or anyone close to him. Just something to give people a reason to plug a mouse into this little system.  :) 

8 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

I'd imagine the alternative mouse-friendly OS I'm suggesting would be a homebrew project made by someone with lots of free time, not necessarily Danny Van Den Heuvel himself or anyone close to him. Just something to give people a reason to plug a mouse into this little system.  :) 

On a tangent not related to an OS, but related to a mouse, can a mouse emulate a roller controller in some way?

58 minutes ago, timepilot said:

On a tangent not related to an OS, but related to a mouse, can a mouse emulate a roller controller in some way?

Probably. I've played at least one ColecoVision emulator (on PC) in the past that supported the mouse as a trackball input device. Can't remember which emulator it was though... But on a device like the one pictured in the first post of this forum thread, you also need something to "emulate" the four red buttons of the Roller Controller, at the very least.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this idea, and I'd love to see it come to market.

...but... I can't help but think its over-engineered.  Wouldn't a Raspberry Pi with a hat/daughterboard for joystick/reset switches/cartridge slot do everything needed?  Then add a bare-metal emulator so it boots directly to SmartWriter.  The three RPi Zeros connected to an x86 looks like too much silicon for the job at hand.

But yes, I would likely buy this if it comes to market, because its something I've wanted for a long time.

On 4/25/2022 at 10:36 AM, NIAD said:

Another update posted by DVdH on the Coleco ADAM Facebook Group. The ADAM Keyboard is supported as well as USB Keyboards!

B904DFAF-A670-464B-89CA-68C5C8D291E1.jpeg

Thank you so much for this update! This is amazing. Between this and the news that work on the Adam core for the Mister is progressing, it is a wonderful and fun time to be a Coleco Adam fan.

Please keep these updates coming for those of us who are not on Facebook. Greatly appreciated.

Edited by timepilot
Corrected typo/misspelling

Dear Adam friends, I have listened to a lot of messages that have come in, and based on that I have made some adjustments. Everything now runs with a well-available computer system Latte Panda Delta, I also made the drive based on ADE and I added adamnet, which is already partly functional. Attached is an update of the hardware.

ADAM@e_FrontV1.1.png

ADAM@e_BackV1.1.png

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DannyVdH said:

Dear Adam friends, I have listened to a lot of messages that have come in, and based on that I have made some adjustments. Everything now runs with a well-available computer system Latte Panda Delta, I also made the drive based on ADE and I added adamnet, which is already partly functional. Attached is an update of the hardware.

ADAM@e_FrontV1.1.png

ADAM@e_BackV1.1.png

Thank you very much for doing this. As a nearly-lifelong ADAM fan, I think this will be amazing if it comes to fruition.

• 3 weeks later...