IGNORED

Crisis averted: need PC AT power supply source

I am in desperate need for a source for AT power supplies, or a good ATX-to-AT adapter kit.

I had three AT PSUs, two of which I had been rotating out as the fan seized. I replaced the fan in the rotated PSU and put it up on the shelf waiting its next rotation.  One of those blew up three months ago, which was not an emergency since I still had one sitting here in its shrink wrap.  The second PSU blew up tonight, and when I replaced it with the new-in-box shrink-wrapped PSU, well, that PSU blew up.

Leaving me none and my AMD K6-III+ Solaris machine now sitting (hopefully not dead.)

EDIT: Not Amazon, please.

Fleabay has such things.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313639871866?hash=item490664a57a:g:rbQAAOSw88hhFxs~

The applicability depends VERY heavily on what vintage board you are wanting to run though. 386 and older wants the -5v rail, which modern ATX does not provide.

(do not be bamboozled by the claims of that item description, that is for 486 and newer, unless you like having components get wrong voltages due to lack of -5v rail.)

For old systems, better to pay the premo price for the new old stock AT supply. (claims to have 10 available.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321526506427?hash=item4adc7923bb:g:Ho0AAOxyhlJRbZve

Alternatively, chinesium New In Box 300W AT

Chineseium New In Box 450W AT supplies (more than 10 avail)

Edited by wierd_w

10 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

Fleabay has such things.

Thanks.  I managed to find some, as well, but I had to finagle the search to get some to turn up (kept showing me ATX PSUs,) but I searched for the manufacturer of the two units which offed themselves and I found a replacements.  Mind you, I am not replacing these Athena Power units with more of the same -- two suicided PSUs is more than just an omen in my book.

I am looking for good ATX to AT adapters since I plan to run this machine until the motherboard fails, and I suspect that at 24 years in the system might outlive these AT PSUs.

7 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

Well, Fleabay has lots of such offers for the adapter...

Yes, I saw those, too.  But the cables for the power switch look questionable in length, and ones which do look right are two to three weeks out from overseas.  I am not interested in extending the power switch cables if they are too short as that is just more bulk on the inside.

Anyway, as much as I appreciate what you are sharing, I was not looking for people to do searches for me.  What I was looking for is someone to say, hey, I know a guy/place/retailer/seller who has that and did me right and the stuff works great.

I have this exact PSU in my Socket 7 based DOS PC... it's really solid. Highly recommended.

230W PS2 AT Computer Power Supply - AT Power Supplies (startech.com)

Never mind it seems they stopped making it... but if you can find one I would get it. 

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1