IGNORED

selfish play(ers) on online multiplayer games

jd_1138

I started playing NBA2K online when I got my Xbox One 2 years ago. It's always frustrating to see how selfish your teammates can be. I prefer to play the format where you're one of 5 players on your team against a team of 5 other players.

A team sport like basketball requires team work if you want to win. I set screens, picks, etc. for my teammates, so they can score easily. And I pass to them when they're open. But when you got the ball, no one sets screens for you, so you can score easier.  When you are wide open, they usually won't pass to you, as they want to score themselves. Only time they pass to you is if they get guarded heavily. And by then you are so guarded yourself, you can't possibly score.

And on defense, I rotate to defend the other team players if one of them gets free, but chances are your teammates won't rotate to guard. They just stick to their man if that, so it makes the other team have an easier time scoring. 

Oh and a lot of players just up and quit after a minute if their team is losing, leaving 2-3 players. Then it dwindles down to maybe 1-2 at the end. Which is a good thing, as the AI players are usually better (and more team work oriented than the human players).

I like to play as a big -- center or power forward, so I am not that fast as the other players, but I grab tons of rebounds, block a lot of shots. And would score way more if they passed to me when I am open (I fight to get open). When you're an unselfish team player, the people you set up to score a lot will end up with 3x more points but they couldn't get those points if it weren't for the unselfish players. So the unselfish player like me may end up with 10 boards, 10 blocks, 10 assists, 5 points. Then the teammate left at the end has like 25 points, 2 boards, 2 assists, and 0 blocks, but they'll send you a nasty message "we'd have won if you scored more!" :)

I think I will start playing the format where you control the whole team.

• Like 1

I notice this on Gears 5 Horde mode.
It's quite a magical experience when you're paired up with a team of 5 team-oriented players.

Where it all goes downhill is when you get put into a game with 2 or 3 jackasses that spam the Salvo, grenade or airstrike attacks.  
They obliterate and overpower the enemy to the point where you're just along for the ride.

• Like 1

It was the same as my son's real-life school zone All-Star basketball game...

I guess everyone thinks they're the only one that matters.

As my son said, "it's not like there were scouts watching".

I replied, "if there were, they're not picking that guy".

• Like 2

On 4/16/2022 at 3:00 PM, Eltigro said:

YES!  I don't know how many times I've gotten run off the road and out of a checkpoint by a teammate.  I yell at the screen, "WE'RE ON THE SAME TEAM!"

Haha yep. 
That's why I don't bother playing racing games online anymore. 
No one seems to understand the concept of teamplay, and because there are no real-world damage penalties or consequences, everyone just goes into each corner full speed with no regard for skill or technique. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

To me, video games are intended as a solo experience -- that is why I play them.

Personally, I do not especially enjoy interacting with people, so I cannot conceive of why I would ever choose to do so as a recreational activity. Hearing about the state of online play just reinforces this for me.

It is very much the same reason why I (or most other people) do not solve integral calculus problems "for fun". 

• Like 1

I grew up with solo playing games or at best (or worst) 1vs1 games.

I have no concept of team play and I'm not interested. Mostly because my interest for games can go from "Play daily for hours" then "don't even look at the game icon for the next 6 months" which mean I would be quite the unreliable teammate.

It doesn't help that most games today are built around the idea of unspecialized teammates.

Not sure about how team racing even works (what do you do? Slow down to buggers the rival team?) but talking with people that play online, most games today have little emphasis on specialized roles. So why would you even learn to play team when you can be a sniper, middle range shooter, brawler and medic altogether?

I think that kind of team culture died with online-only co-op games. When you're all in the same room, it's easy to give orders and advices to your teammates and to be a leader, or really, when you play with people you know. When you're just a bunch of randoms, sometime not even talking the same language... How can you define a leader and give roles to everyone?

Of course it won't help that many players are usually 12 when they shouldn't be there but heh.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My first online experience with gaming was Quake III Arena. It was a novelty at first. But it didn't last more than a week. I didn't like the mentality of the players and I was on a whole other level. An advanced level. Way too smart to lower myself. So. Yes. I tend toward complex simulations today. X-Plane. Orbiter. Universe Sandbox. Stellarium (not a game). And others.

But back in the day, there were plenty of Atari 2600 2-player games, and I loved those. My buddies were about the same maturity level and we gamed well together. All the way till the 10th grade give or take.

I also liked one-on-one in Duke 3D and Doom. That's quite memorable.