IGNORED

Anyone else not get Switch Online?

Rick Dangerous

Call me old fashioned but i just refuse to pay for subscription services. I think the ability to play a game online should be free.

I had Switch online for free for a year through my mother in laws amazon prime and then twitch account, and there were a few things i noticed:

-I don't like to play games online

-I barely used the "retro" titles in the NES/SNES library because i've played the crap out of them and/or own the original copies still or have access via everdrive. 

I guess if you are a younger gamer who have never played these titles before it could be worth it?  I'd prefer to just buy the titles i like in a Eshop like i could on the Wii/Wii U but Nintendo did away with this and frankly i'm pissed about it.  I hate subscription models!  I like to own things not rent them.  Companies are going the other way because THEY like to own things and rent them to you; so i feel like i really just have to vote with my wallet on this one and stick to my guns.  I have the $20 dollars to spend, it's just the principal of the thing. 

Anyone else refuse to get switch online for one reason or another on here, or am i the last holdout? 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Call me old fashioned but i just refuse to pay for subscription services. I think the ability to play a game online should be free.

I had Switch online for free for a year through my mother in laws amazon prime and then twitch account, and there were a few things i noticed:

-I don't like to play games online

-I barely used the "retro" titles in the NES/SNES library because i've played the crap out of them and/or own the original copies still or have access via everdrive. 

I guess if you are a younger gamer who have never played these titles before it could be worth it?  I'd prefer to just buy the titles i like in a Eshop like i could on the Wii/Wii U but Nintendo did away with this and frankly i'm pissed about it.  I hate subscription models!  I like to own things not rent them.  Companies are going the other way because THEY like to own things and rent them to you; so i feel like i really just have to vote with my wallet on this one and stick to my guns.  I have the $20 dollars to spend, it's just the principal of the thing. 

Anyone else refuse to get switch online for one reason or another on here, or am i the last holdout? 

You might be the last holdout. I have Online +Expansion. It covers 4 different households though and my one friend who I "adopted into the family" pitched me a few bucks.

The wife likes N64 Dr Mario and I play random old games from time to time. I don't do a ton of online play but there for a little bit I was on a World of Tanks kick.

Nah, I don't have it either, at the moment.  We (family and I) had it for a year or so because we got it for free, but even at that price, it seemed too expensive as it just wasn't worth it to anyone to take time to download and play any of the offerings.  So 100% pointless to us, and just a waste of time and space.   I'm the only one in the family who likes the older games, and I have them all (multiple times over) in ways I'd prefer to play them vs playing on the Switch.  

Having said that, if I have the opportunity to get it free again, of course I'll take it in case something ever happens and I'd like to do something that requires it.

• Like 1

I won't pay for the asininely expensive expansion of little value.  But the main one as cheap as it is, yes I do family no less since my kid has the lite model.  It helps us keep the saves backed up and safe in case anything is ever lost or damaged, or just to carry them to another device, the few downloaded things too as stupidly some stuff just never will be physical which is sad.

But with that yes it's a crime they force people to play multiplayer games...that's a microsoft created bullshit stunt back with the original xbox live setup.  Nintendo, Sega, Sony stuck to free online play with whatever they previously had going, but MS comes in saying well you pay me $20/mo or $50 a year or whatever it was or you pay full price for a game that's partly disabled unless you eat the fees to do 2P+ games off the couch.  There's little reason to do it other than a for profit scheme because enough can be coined out of far other things, especially since they're also responsible for large storage to abuse with massive DLC, microtransactions, crooked loot crate gambling boxes, not giving people the entire game up front, and the ever lovely launch it broke, we'll fix it later mentality that didn't work when storage wasn't a given.  Bitter?  Yup. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Having said that, if I have the opportunity to get it free again, of course I'll take it in case something ever happens and I'd like to do something that requires it.

I certainly think it's worth having if you can manage to get it for free; and would do the same.  Can't be bothered to pay the $20 for it. 

Voting with your wallet works.  FTP games on Xbox no longer require Xbox live to play online.  You used to need to pay for PUBG and the online sub; now you don't for either.  Maybe someday to compete with PC consoles will go back to free, especially now that they are basically just small form factor PCs (mainly Xbox/PS5).  Thanks Xbox for starting this online subscription service hell!   They were really ahead of the curve on sucky greedy corporate policies. 

I can see why some find the Expansion+ too expensive. We get good use out of it. It was nice to have the added AC content and we just bought MK8D for the added tracks we will be getting. 

It also helps like I said that we have it split between me, my mom, one of my siblings, and a friend. Once you factor in they all get to use online, old games, added stuff the price is right. But I have a huge family.

I don't play online and I own physical copies of all the retro games, so I have no reason to do Nintendo Online.  The last game I played online was FF XI on my PS2 and that was pre voice chat.  I just don't think I'd be comfortable doing online gaming now unless it was with a close group of friends (not to mention the lack of free time).

• Like 1

Funny thing outside of some LRG grabs and a gift or two I've largely stopped getting Switch titles too.  Got Kirby as a belated b'day gift, and LRG is so damn slow I've had as long as an 11mo wait on some buys.  I'll get a few fun ones, but if it's on PC I'll get it on there.  So largely I'm not going to deal with these stupid nickel and diming crap fees any further because I've bowed out of Sony last generation, and just the other day I got rid of all the remaining PS anything I had.

There's so much out there now I don't need to tolerate the bullshit, period.  I'm just going to deal with what I have, expand on that, wisely so it's just largely buy local and Genesis or Nintendo GC or earlier stuff, that's it.  I'd rather fire up my SuperNT/MegaSG(when it arrives Friday, or my modded Nomad) and be happy knowing what I use works, correctly, I paid once, and it doesn't nag me about asinine fees and other abuses.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

You might be the last holdout.

You might be surprised.  A lot of people just don't like paying for extra stuff.  If they have sold 100 million switches; i would be surprised if 20-40% of people or more didn't bother with Switch online.  I'm sure Nintendo has the stats and WON'T be sharing..lol. 

12 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Subscription fee = do not want. Doesn't matter what it is or how cheap it is. Not paying for it.

100% my sentiment.  I just don't do subscription anything ever.  

1 minute ago, Rick Dangerous said:

100% my sentiment.  I just don't do subscription anything ever.  

Yep. I even have a prepaid phone that I never charge and generally just let expire instead of having a monthly payment thingy. Good thing I almost never need to call anyone, so I only buy more minutes like once a year or every 18 months or so.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:39 AM, DavidD said:

I got the $35 plan and share it with multiple relatives, so I feel like it's "worth" it.

I can't justify the jump from $35 to $80 for the expansion pack, though.

See I use to get XBox Gold for $60 a year. So it makes the $80 look fine to me especially when it covers 4 households while my Xbox wouldn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

See I use to get XBox Gold for $60 a year. So it makes the $80 look fine to me especially when it covers 4 households while my Xbox wouldn't.

Oh, I suppose it's still comparatively a decent deal.... I just can't justify spending $45 more to add on a subscription to retro games.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DavidD said:

Oh, I suppose it's still comparatively a decent deal.... I just can't justify spending $45 more to add on a subscription to retro games.

Totally get that especially if you don't care about N64. You can get most the Genesis stuff everywhere.

49 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Totally get that especially if you don't care about N64. You can get most the Genesis stuff everywhere.

Oh, I'd play them -- just not $45 per year! Heh.  I'd do $20 more... so maybe the next time a good discount comes up...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I don't get about Nintendo Switch Online is SEGA!

So the N64 option launched and Sega decide to give us yet again, the same old Megadrive games. Why not the Saturn? The Saturn competed with the N64 not the Megadrive.

I know the Saturn flopped outside of Japan but that is just the point, they had the opportunity to establish a brand new fanbase. I would have loved to have gone on the Switch Online service and have say;

Sonic 3D (far superior to the 16bit counterpart)

Sonic R (I hate this but I know others like it)

Nights into Dreams

Burning Rangers

Panzer Dragoon Zwei 

Shinobi X

Virtua Cop (come on, Joycon aiming!!)

Sega Rally

Virtua Fighter

House of the Dead

There's x10 1st party titles off the top of my head without even trying, shove some of their Japanese only localisations on and whatever others they can license and we might have had something good there. Keeping the old franchises relevant and accessible gives hope for new releases. Honestly, I just assume they are thick at this point. NOBODY upgraded to the N64 online to play Megadrive games - nobody. They upgraded to play N64 so throwing the Saturn games in as a freebie was a no brainer.

Not only will I never subscribe to emulate games but they provided me with a better option: search on "arcade archives" in the Nintendo store

https://www.nintendo.com/search/?q=arcade+archives&p=2&cat=gme&sort=df

Some titles like Haunted Castle (a.k.a. Castlevania) and Burnin Rubber (Bump n Jump) have their names changed.  But, many are obviously the VS versions which include Golf, Super Mario Brothers, Wrecking Crew and even Clu Clu Land.

59 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

The Saturn is very hard to emulate, even on PC. Also I heard Nintendo had to pay SEGA a lot just to get the usual Mega Drive games.

Theres already a Saturn emulator for Switch that has been used officially by City Connection called Zebra Engine in their Cotton games and hackers have already got other games running on Switch with it.

Yea I have had better results on ios than PC in fairness. I think unless you have a PC worth thousands or are doing something very basic then you are screwed from the start since nothing ever seems to work ?

Nintendo paying Sega for those games? Jesus.. I am surprised they bothered then.

I still think Sega are being incredibly short sighted. I get the MD is the safe bet but it's almost like they don't even acknowledge that they ever did anything else..

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I fought it (subscription) for awhile on principle alone but Tetris99 won me over. I still spend a good 3 hours a weekend playing it...throw in Mario Kart online and a game of PAC99 now and then and it's well worth 20 bucks...

I did do the premium upgrade for the new mario kart courses but quickly realized I didn't need to do it. You can still race the new courses online with a regular $20 subscription. The upgrade just allows you to play them on your own offline too (something I never do)

The sega games are just the same ol same ol and N64 isn't really my thing...so yeah, I'll be kicking back down to a regular subscription next year. Even though I have all the NES/SNES in some form already I find I play them on the switch a lot more for some reason...especially Donkey Kong.

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2022 at 12:06 PM, Crazy Climber said:

I fought it (subscription) for awhile on principle alone but Tetris99 won me over. I still spend a good 3 hours a weekend playing it...throw in Mario Kart online and a game of PAC99 now and then and it's well worth 20 bucks...

I did do the premium upgrade for the new mario kart courses but quickly realized I didn't need to do it. You can still race the new courses online with a regular $20 subscription. The upgrade just allows you to play them on your own offline too (something I never do)

The sega games are just the same ol same ol and N64 isn't really my thing...so yeah, I'll be kicking back down to a regular subscription next year. Even though I have all the NES/SNES in some form already I find I play them on the switch a lot more for some reason...especially Donkey Kong.

Tetris99 is crazy fun, as I've discovered in the last week. Between that and having cloud saves, the $20 plan is more than worth the cost. And I've barely even touched any of the NES/SNES games available.

• Like 2