IGNORED

2022 Portland Retro Gaming Expo - October 14-16, 2022!

4 hours ago, Albert said:

After a two year hiatus due to COVID, the Portland Retro Gaming Expo is back!  This year's show will be held Friday, October 14th through Sunday, October 16th at the Oregon Convention Center. 

Here's the post from Facebook:

PRGE_2022_Announcement.jpg

Their website hasn't yet been updated to reflect this announcement, but I'm sure it will be soon!

..Al

Thanks Al!  Will there be an AtariAge booth?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Albert said:

After a two year hiatus due to COVID, the Portland Retro Gaming Expo is back!  This year's show will be held Friday, October 14th through Sunday, October 16th at the Oregon Convention Center.

YESSSS!!!  Tanya and I will be there representing ZPH! ? Can't wait!

- James

• Like 5

1 minute ago, littaum said:

Is there a general hotel people stay at for this?  I live in central Oregon so it would be a quick drive to get there.

There are several hotels within walking distance of the convention center.  I stay at a Marriott Courtyard because I have points that I can use and its ~5 minute walk to the convention center.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, littaum said:

Is there a general hotel people stay at for this?  I live in central Oregon so it would be a quick drive to get there.

The two nearest hotels are the Eastlund and the The Inn at the Convention Center.  The Quality Inn and the Courtyard Marriott are at about the same distance from the convention center. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, littaum said:

Last time I was there in 2019, they were building a new hotel adjacent to the convention center.  Looks like it's open now, it's called the Hyatt Regency Portland At The Oregon Convention Center.  It's a bit expensive as one would expect, though.  But very convenient compared to other options.

314925666.jpg

..Al

• Like 3

Airfare and hotel is booked for the wife and I. We are staying at the new Hyatt across the street. According to her when looking at travel packages, the Inn, Eastlund, and Hyatt were all about the same price each night or at least not enough of a difference to really make one more appealing vs another cost wise. That is according to Expedia anyway.

I will close up the 'Tower' that week and weekend and see everyone there!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fdr4prez said:

Is there any fear of the growing spread of the latest covid variant and destroying PGRE2022?

Now you did it!  The first rule of PRGE 2022 is to not mention COVID.?  jk of course and I certainly hope this event doesn't need to get cancelled.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

Is there any fear of the growing spread of the latest covid variant and destroying PGRE2022?

While that's certainly a possibility, I do not believe it's very likely.  If a variant more deadly than Omicron starts spreading wildly, then, yes, that could happen.  I personally interact with hundreds of people up close at a show like this, so obviously COVID is a concern for me.  I'll be getting my second booster shot next week, and I would not be surprised if another is offered by the time PRGE rolls around (and if it is, I will certainly get it).

..Al

A 2nd booster? Is that recommended in the US? Over here only very old people (80+) or with some diseases are recommended for that.

We should enjoy the time now, as it is completely uncertain how dangerous the next ruling corona virus mutation will be.

5 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

A 2nd booster? Is that recommended in the US? Over here only very old people (80+) or with some diseases are recommended for that.

Yes, the CDC is recommending a second booster for those over 50+ or with certain medical conditions (such as immunocompromised).

5 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

We should enjoy the time now, as it is completely uncertain how dangerous the next ruling corona virus mutation will be.

I cannot argue with that, within reason.

Also, I don't really want to turn this into a discussion of COVID, so let's try and focus on the show itself.

Thanks!

..Al

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Albert said:

<snip>

Also, I don't really want to turn this into a discussion of COVID, so let's try and focus on the show itself.

Thanks!

..Al

Certainly, I don't mean to derail the topic.  That wasn't my intention.  It is only a concern because I am now hearing more news reports in my area about it.

I am going to try and go, but it depends on my level of physical rehab-ness from my recent 5-month hospital stay (that was not covid related).   Luckily PRGE is far enough in the future that I am expecting to be all better by then.

Today I think I am going to try and drive for the first time in 7+ months.  My legs are strong enough.  I just need to be concerned about the reflex of going from gas to brake in a timely manner.

:driver:

• Like 4

9 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

I accounted for this when I made my plans.  The flights are refundable and the hotel can be cancelled up to the day before without a penalty. 

• Like 3