IGNORED

Sears art label carts.

Christophero Sly

The Sears Superman art label variant apparently exists, but it hasn't been cataloged in the rarity guide or Giant List of LVARs. Also, Tank Plus apparently has an art label variant not listed in the rarity guide. Moreover, the Gunslinger art label wasn't always known to exist.

All this brings me to some questions about Sears carts that I've been trying to answer for some time. First, are there any other Sears art labels known to exist that are not currently listed in the rarity guide or Giant List of LVARs?

Second, are there any Sears art labels that may exist, but that are not currently known to exist.

Finally, are the listings for Sears carts in the rarity guide based on the carts that have been found and proven to exist, or are the listings based on some other source of information?

Thanks,

CS

All this brings me to some questions about Sears carts that I've been trying to answer for some time. First' date=' are there any other Sears art labels known to exist that are not currently listed in the rarity guide or Giant List of LVARs?

[/quote']

if you look at the giant list, there are two that are not currently cataloged at atariage, the first being superman which i think sly won the ebay auction. the second is blackjack with serial number 75181 (picture blackjack with serial number 75602 is shown at atariage).

for a long time, i had doubted the existence of both of these. now i wonder who put 75181 on a list in the first place, since that is also the serial number for video chess...was it a typo from a long time back or does it really exist???

also, the Giant List shows some variations in end label (main label also?) text color for the same game: yellow or orange or red. who knows, maybe every picture label exists in three different color schemes (and everything in between, depending on how much sunlight any given game has been exposed to sitting in a box at an outdoor flea market).

Second' date=' are there any Sears art labels that may exist, but that are not currently known to exist.

[/quote']

umm, yes, many things "may" exist which we do not know about yet :)

Finally' date=' are the listings for Sears carts in the rarity guide based on the carts that have been found and proven to exist, or are the listings based on some other source of information?

[/quote']

i wonder the same thing. the VGR list had lots of mistakes showing games that only appeared in catalogs (but were never released) and marked them as R or ER. i'm sure each time a mistake slipped into one list, it was copied forward into each new list that was a compilation of all lists before it. atariage has been an excellent proving ground though...much more so than a text list or even the DP guide because it shows photos of most games and people post photos of games in the forums.

VGR used to have Sears "Auto Racing" 99821 listed as a game. that probably came from a Race game that was missing it's end label, so someone called it Auto Racing since that appears on the main label. VGR also listed video chess 99817, which i have not ever seen in any other list nor ever had one (maybe it exists, maybe not). older versions of the DP guide also listed "Chess" by Sears. but that disappeared from later listings.

Thanks for the information. 8)

umm' date=' yes, many things "may" exist which we do not know about yet :)[/quote']

Right. :)

I guess my question is: Is there any reason not to believe that art label variants exist for those Sears titles that are currently only known to have text labels, such as, Cannon Man, Bowling, Spelling, etc.?

I had this discussion at PhillyClassic and one of the Atari dealers swore up and down to me and several other people in the vicinity that there was an art label for EVERY Sears title. I didn't believe him at first, but then that Sears Superman art showed up on eBay, and I started to wonder if he wasn't right. Here are the ones I have art labels for:

* Asteroids (art: 49-75163)

* Blackjack (art: 49-75602)

* Chase (art: 49-75105)

* Defender (art: 49-75186)

* Haunted House (art: 49-75141)

* Maze (art: 49-75112)

* Outer Space (art: 49-75601)

* Pac-Man (art: 49-75185)

* Poker Plus (art: 49-75151) - no end label

* Pong Sports (art: 49-75104)

* Space Combat (art: 49-75106)

* Space Invaders (art: 49-75153)

* Speedway II (art: 49-75103)

* Star Raiders (art: 49-75187)

* Stellar Track (art: 49-75159)

* Sumbarine Commander (art: 49-75142)

* Warlords (art: 49-75127)

* Yars' Revenge (art: 49-75167 orange)

* Yars' Revenge (art: 49-75167 red)

I had this discussion at PhillyClassic and one of the Atari dealers swore up and down to me and several other people in the vicinity that there was an art label for EVERY Sears title. I didn't believe him at first' date=' but then that Sears Superman art showed up on eBay, and I started to wonder if he wasn't right.[/quote']

Thanks for the response MMF. Your tale has definitely reinforced my curiosity about this.

Begining next month, I think I'm going to focus my collection efforts on obtaining all the cataloged (and uncataloged 8) ) Sears art labels...I've already burned through this month's budget and it's only the 9th :roll: :)

I have the following Sears art label carts:

Berzerk

Blackjack

Chase

Defender

Demons to Diamonds

Haunted House

Math Gran Prix

Maze

Missile Command

Night Driver

Outer Space

Pac-Man

Space Combat

Speedway II

and, Yar's Revenge

What exactly is the color distinction between these two. I'd like to determine which one I have.

Thanks,

CS

I have the following Sears art label carts:

Berzerk

I forgot to mention Berzerk' date=' probably cause it's in such cruddy shape. :P

Demons to Diamonds

I've got to remember to find a Sears version of this!

What exactly is the color distinction between these two. I'd like to determine which one I have.

Thanks' date='

CS[/quote']

Pretty easy to tell looking straight at the end labels - orange is always orange but the red is usually bold and bright red. Before people say "color fading" I thought so at first too, until I noticed on the red label versions I kept the "S" on end labels had a distinctive shape different from the orange versions. You can really see it clearly when you put a red and an orange Outer Space side by side due to the large capital S.