IGNORED

Nuked the Collection: Starting Again...with Arcade Hardware Instead

LIME LYSTA

My whole life I've been collecting arcade ports on home console. Now with these inferior ports with slowdown and missing frames going for double, triple the worth of the actual arcade pcbs.....I'm done! 

Couple that, and collecting for the typical consoles got stale. I'm sorry, if you love em, I get it. Ive been doing this for decades, and I've been there,, too.. But I've collected these systems countless times and I dont know if I'm just bored or what, but I wanted to start doing things differently than any other time in my life. 

Been selling what little is left and with a fat stack of benjamins in my pocket I set forth. This thread will document my adventure into uncharted waters. I have little clue as to what I'm doing. But to hell with it! I have some connections, I have collecting tricks I've learned over the years, and I have a couple good friends for advice and support.

The only classic 'console' will technically be arcade hardware and something I've never had the privilege to collect for. The mother of all systems, the Neo Geo AES. I even got the wife into it...a woman who still can't understand the complex control scheme of pacman, and needs to be reminded of how to play each time is now the record holder on League Bowling. What .....how?

Anyways. Keep an eye out for pics. Prepare for the woodgrain, and the oversized hardware that makes the wife question my life choices. 

Let's begin!

Edited by LIME LYSTA
  • Like 3

AES is a painful thing to collect for. The last AES Metal Slug 1 sold for $60,000 USD. No thanks. MVS is much cheaper and I wish I'd gotten that instead, but you feel like a king or a god or something whenever you play the AES, which is always fun.

Any plans of getting a Sega New Astro City? It's the most beautiful arcade cabinet that has ever been made and they are a lot of fun to play on. You specifically want the New Astro City if you can get one, but the original Astro City is very nice as well. I have always wanted one after playing one for the first time and I almost bought one several times, but then I always remember that I have no space in my tiny apartment for an arcade cabinet.

• Like 2

They are amazing cabinets. That's why they are so popular even now in Japan. Go to pretty much any arcade and you'll see the entire place consists of basically nothing but Astro City/New Astro City/Blast City cabinets. I think I read once that some of the MVS variants might be a bit of a tight fit inside, but every Neo Geo I have seen at modern arcades is inside either an Astro City or New Astro City, so you should be fine. They're soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good and I really want one. No space, though.

• Like 2

Yeah, I saw a Hyper Neo Geo 64 for sale recently. Forget how much the store wanted for it, but it was a set with the system itself and Wild Ambition. Local arcade actually has about 4~6 of these set up (yes, each one in an Astro City) running Samurai Spirits. Fighting games are not my thing, but I still want to try it eventually since the Hyper Neo Geo 64 is relatively rare.

• Like 1

They lost your stuff? What the hell. I'd be... most displeased if they lost arcade hardware that I'd bought. Or anything else, but especially arcade hardware. That stuff's both rare as hell and expensive as hell. You should show this to Anthony to see what he says. I'd be surprised if he isn't one of the world's leading SNK experts... actually, I'm pretty sure he is.

BTW Neo Geo's birthday is April 26th, which is tomorrow. Don't forget to celebrate! I know I won't forget!

Edited by Steven Pendleton

On 4/18/2022 at 11:25 PM, LIME LYSTA said:

Alright. First post. Just came in the mail. This should give you an idea of the direction I'm taking. 

Just curious, can you read Japanese? 

Is there a vendor for this type of stuff that can communicate in English?

My only experience with NeoGeo games was seeing/playing a few in a local arcade in the 1990s and then getting the compilation disk for the PS 2.   

13 hours ago, jhd said:

Just curious, can you read Japanese? 

Is there a vendor for this type of stuff that can communicate in English?

My only experience with NeoGeo games was seeing/playing a few in a local arcade in the 1990s and then getting the compilation disk for the PS 2.   

Pm me. I'll help you out. 

Love the DiscMan. I've got the D-5 myself. And that's one hell of a nostalgic bit-o-hardware.

My own collection is rather mundane and isn't worth mentioning. But I can tell you the best systems to collect for are the ones that've got sentimental meaning. Doesn't matter too much what they actually are. Sentimentality gives good focus and lets you tune out extraneous purchases that will (I guarantee it) turn into multifaceted burdens later - financial - space - mental distractions - fodder for spousal disputes - all that nasty stuff. Or just some of it.. It all adds up to where you say fuckitall and get rid of it as expeditiously as possible. Assuming one went overboard grabbing everything in sight.

To me a sentimental collection is an ancient collection. Stuff you had as a kid. Something you can relate to. The exact same stuff, not ebay replacements from some barn. The original stuff. That's important. And then you go from there. When expanding the collection it is important to do it with deliberacy and care. Each acquisition is a moment to savor and built memories with. Headlong rushes are just that. A rush. And then downturn. Sitting there looking at a pile of crap. Best to get a piece now, a piece 2 months later. A slow and steady pace that's moderated & modulated. Get stuff you're going to use and that the whole family can enjoy.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

What's the appeal of a Sega New Astro City? Are they just good JAMMA cabinets which ease board swapping? They've always struck me as very sterile looking. I've had a few arcade cabinets over the years, some JAMMA, some dedicated. I always liked my dedicated ones the most because I liked the artwork. I've been sort of doing the opposite of the OP. I grew tired of re-capping monitors and repairing machines, so I've sold off most of my boards and all but 2 JAMMA (1 horizontal, 1 vertical) and 1 dedicated machine.

On 4/27/2022 at 2:40 PM, TheDevil'sCompass said:

What's the appeal of a Sega New Astro City?

Everything. They are beautiful cabinets with rotating monitors (Egret II has much easier rotation from what I understand), high-resolution graphics and stereo-of-the-art sound that will double your playing enjoyment, and the placement of the stick and buttons makes them extremely comfortable to play on. Astro City is my favourite stick and button layout. It's so good and it's extremely disappointing that nobody makes Astro City arcade sticks for PC and home consoles. The next closest is the Noir layout, which you can get on the Hori RAP N, but the stick is a bit farther away on Noir and the button placement isn't completely identical, but it is very close.

• Like 1