Battle Master
Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool
G-LOC Air Battle
Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Gray Wolf
Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye
We're Back! A Dinosaur's Tale
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

Edited by electricmastro

I've seen people bring up Devil's Crush for TG-16 every now and then, but they never mention it's on Genesis as Dragon's Fury.  ?

Edit: Wow, I didn't know emojis could be italicized.  Why can they though?

Edited by zmbdog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/22/2022 at 3:44 AM, zmbdog said:

I've seen people bring up Devil's Crush for TG-16 every now and then, but they never mention it's on Genesis as Dragon's Fury.  ?

The Genesis port is very very good, but it’s not quite as good. It’s a game everybody who likes pinball should play one way or another.

Now, the unauthorized sequel Dragon’s Revenge is very janky by comparison, but it is a LAFF RIOT.

They really took the subtle innuendo into full on cringe-inducing accidental and intentional blatant sex metaphor. And little things like the ant-men who look like an army of occult Dr Zoidbergs makes for a hilarious experience if you are in the right mindset. It’s not great, but it’s certainly memorable.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Socket

Time Dominator is one of the more rare and expensive Japanese Mega Drive games. A complete copy will easily go in the 40000~50000 yen range. I picked up a cart-only copy for 3000 yen not long ago, but the label is mostly torn off. Not sure if Socket is rare, though.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 11:15 PM, TheDevil'sCompass said:

ow about Red Zone? Don't think I've seen that one mentioned yet.

Red Zone. SEGA Genesis. Walkthrough - YouTube

It’s not rare - it’s extremely common and still can be found NIB for cheap - but nobody but me talks about it:

Zyrinx’s other Genesis game Sub Terrania is one of my all time favorite Genesis games. Gravitar for the 1990s.

Socket isn’t very rare but the manual is. I have been trying to find one for years at this point.

On 4/20/2022 at 2:03 PM, electricmastro said:

Bimini Run is another one that stuck out to me. Didn't realize how uncommon it was for me to see games where you use a boat to shoot at others, as opposed to a car or plane.

I love Bimini Run! Note that, although it resembles a racer with shooting, it's not "on rails" - the environments are actually in a 3D space and you can turn around and navigate from island to island. The game stays mostly tech-focused in the first several levels and then takes a hard turn into mythic/fantasy territory at the end. Bonus points for very stylish box art and title screen.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zmbdog said:

Edit: Wow, I didn't know emojis could be italicized.  Why can they though?

Hell yeah I'll bring it up, I did enough here and elsewhere when I finally dropped the curtain on PCE ownership outside of the mini, I loved that screwball dark pinball game.  I remembered instantly it got a dumb name in the US on the Genesis, and in a rarer case violated my buy games for Genesis local policy and snapped up a copy of that to have back in my hands so I can keep enjoying it.  Dragon's Fury (Devil's Crush) is great on there.  I knew of the sequel, never have got around to it, but as long as the ball physics aren't any more loose and weird than devils crush (or alien crush) I know I'd enjoy it so I keep an eye out for it.

There are a few instances of TG games that got releases slid out under other names usually on Sega Genesis, I've tried to snap them up when and where I can.  Valis III, Wonderboy in Monster World, Ys III and Dragon's Fury.  There are more, wonderboy line for one, so I keep my eyes open.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Zoyous said:

I love Bimini Run! Note that, although it resembles a racer with shooting, it's not "on rails" - the environments are actually in a 3D space and you can turn around and navigate from island to island. The game stays mostly tech-focused in the first several levels and then takes a hard turn into mythic/fantasy territory at the end. Bonus points for very stylish box art and title screen.

Makes me wonder what a sequel would have been like.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Time Dominator is one of the more rare and expensive Japanese Mega Drive games. A complete copy will easily go in the 40000~50000 yen range. I picked up a cart-only copy for 3000 yen not long ago, but the label is mostly torn off. Not sure if Socket is rare, though.

Loose copies don't seem to go for too much. Not sure how much interest people would go for a game decidedly based on Sonic though, as those seem to polarize audiences for some reason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Would all of the early Amiga ports be considered obscure? I would think maybe Shadow of the Beast would be the least obscure, but I think it is a safe bet that most of them are pretty obscure today.

I think a lot of the Amiga-to-Genesis games are, except for ones like the first Lemmings.

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, WagTheJag said:

Sub-Terrania is amazing and one of the best genesis games.

I want to get into it... it's got a bit of a learning curve to get going but it looks so cool. It gives me the impression of a demoscene crew that got into full game development.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zoyous said:

I want to get into it... it's got a bit of a learning curve to get going but it looks so cool. It gives me the impression of a demoscene crew that got into full game development.

It's an amazing game, my only criticism would be it really needed more levels. 

Developers  consisted  of people who had been active in the Amiga demo scene in the late 1980/early 1990s, including Jesper Kyd, who did the fantastic music for Freedom Fighters, PS2/Xbox.

The group was responsible for producing the popular The Silents/Crionics demo "Hardwired".

Edited by Lostdragon
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...