IGNORED

Has anyone built on an ARM mac?

Propane13

I've got an old MacBook that's close to giving up the ghost, and I was considering replacing it with one of the new MacBook Airs.  Trouble is, they are using the M1 chip now, which is ARM-based.  I was curious if anyone has compiled 7800 content on one of the modern macs.  If it's not possible, I may consider trying to track down an older mac just to get things working.  I figured I'd ask here first.

The toolchain I currently use is:

• 7800asmdevkit
  • dasm
  • a7800 emulator
  • SDL2

I figure the answer is probably that it's a fringe case that maybe few people has tested yet, but there's no harm in asking.

Additionally, if I do decide to get an M1 mac and compilation of certain binaries would be helpful or necessary for some open source projects, I'd potentially be interested in doing that.

Thanks!

The M1 Macs are capable of running X86 binaries using their built-in Rosetta 2 emulator.  It all works swimmingly for everything I've thrown at it (and I am a professional developer).  

While I have not specifically tested the software you mention, I have not encountered anything which I ran on my Intel MacBook Pro that I can't run on my M1-based Mac with one exception: VMware Fusion.  However, there is a solution for that also: Parallels.  The latest Parallels will allow you to run ARM Windows, and that has its own X86 emulator for when you need to run X86 Windows binaries. 

In short, I would not worry about upgrading.  It will be fine. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Karl G said:

Anyway, the binaries should probably run as-is. There's a similar topic in the batari Basic forum about that toolchain working on such a system.

:thumbsup: That bodes well. 7800AsmDevKit is a package containing dasm, 7800sign, and 7800header, and is literally built from the same source dir as 7800basic, with the same laptop, compiler, and libraries that I build the bB releases with.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/18/2022 at 9:26 PM, Karl G said:

I'm curious how SDL2 factors in, or perhaps it's for unrelated dev work?

Anyway, the binaries should probably run as-is. There's a similar topic in the batari Basic forum about that toolchain working on such a system.

Really long delay on responding, but it appears that sdl2 is still needed for a7800. 

:a7800 propane13$ ./a7800
dyld[30214]: Library not loaded: @rpath/SDL2.framework/Versions/A/SDL2
  Referenced from: <5240EEB2-1D6C-3166-A31E-EFD3DDACDE8C> /Users/propane13/fun/7800/bin/a7800/a7800
  Reason: tried: '/Library/Frameworks/SDL2.framework/Versions/A/SDL2' (no such file), '/System/Library/Frameworks/SDL2.framework/Versions/A/SDL2' (no such file, not in dyld cache)
Abort trap: 6

I can't say why it's needed, but appears to be a hard dependency for the emulator.

21 hours ago, Propane13 said:

Really long delay on responding, but it appears that sdl2 is still needed for a7800. 

:a7800 propane13$ ./a7800
dyld[30214]: Library not loaded: @rpath/SDL2.framework/Versions/A/SDL2
  Referenced from: <5240EEB2-1D6C-3166-A31E-EFD3DDACDE8C> /Users/propane13/fun/7800/bin/a7800/a7800
  Reason: tried: '/Library/Frameworks/SDL2.framework/Versions/A/SDL2' (no such file), '/System/Library/Frameworks/SDL2.framework/Versions/A/SDL2' (no such file, not in dyld cache)
Abort trap: 6

I can't say why it's needed, but appears to be a hard dependency for the emulator.

It didn't occur to me when you wrote that that SDL was for the emulator. That makes sense for the audio/video output.

Did you end up going with the M1-based Mac? From what has been said, you should be fine running the X86 versions of everything for your dev system.

23 hours ago, Karl G said:

It didn't occur to me when you wrote that that SDL was for the emulator. That makes sense for the audio/video output.

Did you end up going with the M1-based Mac? From what has been said, you should be fine running the X86 versions of everything for your dev system.

Yes, I went with the M1.  And, the dev system is working flawlessly!

It's nice to be able to play all the new 7800 content that I haven't caught up on in a while.

• Like 1