IGNORED

Space Pac-Man - New batari Basic Game

Ricardo Pim

Hi Everyone,

Space Pac-Man is my newest homebrew published by Game Select.

It has been tested from @ZeroPage Homebrew for some time, since its first beta versions and many ideas and fixes identified by James and friends from chat have been applied.

Well, the game is already finished and has been sold in Brazil for a few weeks. This week we started international sales, so I decided to post it here on the AtariAge Forum so that more people can have access to the game.

Game Story

The space ghosts are a hostile alien race that centuries after destroying their own planet, keep traveling by space invading planets in order to make them their new home. Traveling through the P-386 System, they detect a little place called Puck-Land, or, the planet of the Puckmans, spherical, plump, greedy creatures that live by eating to survive. You, Mr. Pac-Man, live happily with your wife when you are suddenly kidnapped and still in orbit his planet, manages to escape the ship, plunging into the infinity of space.

Some Technical Information

This is a 32k game, but actually a lot less. I still had about 12k free to use. As everything I had planned for the game, I could apply, I decided not to fill it with any more features.
I used the Standard Kernel because the playfield scrolling was essential for the game, it's the bars that Pac-Man eats. Well, I still needed 4 ghosts, so I only had to quadruple Player1, generating a continuous blink in the gameplay. They're ghosts though, so it's fine with me for them to be transparent.

Videos to enjoy

Here a small gameplay trailer.

And an unboxing.

Talking about the demo version

What I notice is that most of the demos released take just the first stages and put them in a loop.

In Space Pac-Man I didn't want to do that, because the player couldn't have a good experience and could pass the perception of a boring game, since the first stages are easy.

So the demo version was carefully planned to give a balanced gameplay experience. The demo also added elements that present in the full game and the player would only have access to in advanced stages.

The demo over right after the first boss, in the first run of Pac-Man's fall.

International sales are open

The game is finished and whoever wants to buy it, please contact us at atarigameselect@gmail.com. 

You can also get a lot of information on our homepage at http://www.gameselect.com.br.

Downloads

Download the demo and a pdf copy of the complete original manual below.

Space Pac-Man Demo (GameSelect, 2022) .bin

Manual Space Pac-Man - US-En.pdf

Space Pac-Man - ScreenShot.jpg

Space PacMan.png

Space PacMan - Zord.png

Space Pac-Man - Box.jpeg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

My ipad doesn't seem to like the above link for international sales.  All I get is a completely white screen.

49 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Same with Chrome browser on my Mac.

It appears the link ends with a period which confuses browsers. Delete the dot and it currently redirects you to their FB page with ordering information.

Here's a screenshot with the instructions for those of you without FB:

image.thumb.png.89a044369c9ee08fae6ff861bbead18a.png

- James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

It appears the link ends with a period which confuses browsers. Delete the dot and it currently redirects you to their FB page with ordering information.

Here's a screenshot with the instructions for those of you without FB:

image.thumb.png.89a044369c9ee08fae6ff861bbead18a.png

- James

Thanks James.  Email sent!

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

This isn't just another unboxing video, it's full of recommendations for who are thinking about import from Brazil. I really admire this family man's channel as he spends a lot of time with his kids playing Atari and enjoying every second of it. I'm much happier that he purchased one of our games. I can't wait for my daughter to be old enough to do the same. Enjoy the video and explore the channel.

Thanks

[Edit1] I think I forgot the link ;-)

Edited by Ricardo Pim

9 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I got mine, too! I haven't gotten a chance t play it yet because I've been playing Asteroids Attack first! I was unable to find a topic for Asteroids Attack, though. Is there one that I'm missing?

I don't have any record of a thread for Asteroids Attack, just links to posts on Game Select's FB page.

- James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Karl G said:

I got mine, too! I haven't gotten a chance t play it yet because I've been playing Asteroids Attack first! I was unable to find a topic for Asteroids Attack, though. Is there one that I'm missing?

A programmer's greatest satisfaction is knowing that people are enjoying their software, be it computer programs or games. Thank you for your support and I hope you like it.
About Asteroids Attack in the forums, my fault, at the time I didn't do any. I will provide.

• Like 2

I got a chance to play this one, too. I've seen it on ZPH a number of times, and thought it looked interesting, and I'm pleased to say that it's even more fun to play than it is to watch! ? 

I have a fascination with the idea of combining game concepts, or changing the genre of a game while still keeping the essence of the gameplay. The idea of putting Pac-Man in space, and removing the maze while still making it look and feel like a Pac-Man type of game is quite an impressive achievement.

I like how energy replaces lives, and you have to eat energy pellets continuously to keep from running out. I also like how the difficulty ramps slowly, so it's pretty easy to at least get through the first wave as a newbie.

Anyway, well done! I'm glad I got this one. I'll watch for the Asteroids Attack topic to appear, or maybe start one of my own to give my mini-review of that title as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZippyRedPlumber said:

How do you make the the health bar decrease by itself? I'm working on a timed game and the status bar serves as a timer.

You can try something like this.

const pfscore=1 

a=0 : dim second=a

b=0 : dim minute=b

pfscore1=255 

_Main

pfscorecolor=66

second=second+1

if second>56 then second=0 : minute=minute+1      ;56 is about 1s

if minute>60 then minute=0 : pfscore1=pfscore1/2  ;to decrement health bar each minute

if pfscore1=0 then goto _GameOver

;your game code

;you can manage timer changing #56 and #60

drawscreen

goto _Main

_GameOver

;your game over code

Edited by Ricardo Pim
Code adjust
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 1:17 PM, Karl G said:

I got a chance to play this one, too. I've seen it on ZPH a number of times, and thought it looked interesting, and I'm pleased to say that it's even more fun to play than it is to watch! ? 

I couldn't agree more. ?

I have a fascination with the idea of combining game concepts, or changing the genre of a game while still keeping the essence of the gameplay. The idea of putting Pac-Man in space, and removing the maze while still making it look and feel like a Pac-Man type of game is quite an impressive achievement.

I love to apply things like that. Using elements from games already release, makes my nostalgia appear.

I also like how the difficulty ramps slowly, so it's pretty easy to at least get through the first wave as a newbie.

I like to think kids playing it. Giving them a chance to have fun.

I'll watch for the Asteroids Attack topic to appear

Done! ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 11:44 PM, Ricardo Pim said:

Hi Everyone,

Space Pac-Man is my newest homebrew published by Game Select.

It has been tested from @ZeroPage Homebrew for some time, since its first beta versions and many ideas and fixes identified by James and friends from chat have been applied.

Well, the game is already finished and has been sold in Brazil for a few weeks. This week we started international sales, so I decided to post it here on the AtariAge Forum so that more people can have access to the game.

Game Story

The space ghosts are a hostile alien race that centuries after destroying their own planet, keep traveling by space invading planets in order to make them their new home. Traveling through the P-386 System, they detect a little place called Puck-Land, or, the planet of the Puckmans, spherical, plump, greedy creatures that live by eating to survive. You, Mr. Pac-Man, live happily with your wife when you are suddenly kidnapped and still in orbit his planet, manages to escape the ship, plunging into the infinity of space.

Some Technical Information

This is a 32k game, but actually a lot less. I still had about 12k free to use. As everything I had planned for the game, I could apply, I decided not to fill it with any more features.
I used the Standard Kernel because the playfield scrolling was essential for the game, it's the bars that Pac-Man eats. Well, I still needed 4 ghosts, so I only had to quadruple Player1, generating a continuous blink in the gameplay. They're ghosts though, so it's fine with me for them to be transparent.

Videos to enjoy

Here a small gameplay trailer.

And an unboxing.

Talking about the demo version

What I notice is that most of the demos released take just the first stages and put them in a loop.

In Space Pac-Man I didn't want to do that, because the player couldn't have a good experience and could pass the perception of a boring game, since the first stages are easy.

So the demo version was carefully planned to give a balanced gameplay experience. The demo also added elements that present in the full game and the player would only have access to in advanced stages.

The demo over right after the first boss, in the first run of Pac-Man's fall.

International sales are open

The game is finished and whoever wants to buy it, please contact us at atarigameselect@gmail.com. 

You can also get a lot of information on our homepage at http://www.gameselect.com.br.

Downloads

Download the demo and a pdf copy of the complete original manual below.

Space Pac-Man Demo (GameSelect, 2022) .bin 32 kB · 84 downloads

Manual Space Pac-Man - US-En.pdf 1.87 MB · 36 downloads

Space Pac-Man - ScreenShot.jpg

Space PacMan.png

Space PacMan - Zord.png

Space Pac-Man - Box.jpeg

Ricard, our sincere congrats ! A video in your honor to all of you.

• 5 months later...

The Space Pac-Man EASTER EGG is being revealed!

Hello friends, here I am again. As promised, a year after the release of Space Pac-Man, we're revealing the game's Easter Egg.
Still not able to save the Ms. Pac-Man? Now you will have another chance. Take your game out of the closet, clean the dust and put your Atari to work.

### EASTER EGG ###
It gives to you infinite continues.

### CONDITION ###
You need to be dead.

### CONSEQUENCE ###
Your score will be reset.

### HOW TO ACTIVATE? ###
Start a new game setting  the Color switch in the B/W position and the right difficulty switch in the A position. During the Game Over animation (the one you are abducted from), press the Game Select switch.

### RESULT ###
You will return to the battle with a full energy bar.

Ahhhh! YOU DON'T HAVE Space Pac-Man yet, so send an e-mail to atarigameselect@gmail.com

Have a good time!!!

1779681510_SpacePac-ManEasterEgg.thumb.png.573dc74f3b5d4d60c082eca535c572c3.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, check this amazing Game Select live day by Retro Bliss Channel, starting with Space Pac-Man. Enjoy it.

5th ANNUAL ATARI HOMEBREW AWARDS

By the way, it is with great pleasure that we announce that our game has been nominated for the Best Music and Sound. Regardless of the result, I am already very happy to be participating again. Be sure to vote for your favorite game.

SP-Best-Music-Sound.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys, my mind blew up with this Space Pac-Man review for Atari 2600, you have to see this. Serious! I loved the acting, I laughed a lot.
It's important to set the player to play at 60 fps for best viewing. Enjoy the video and subscribe to the channel.

Edited by Ricardo Pim
  • Like 2