IGNORED

Just bought a Vectrex. Is there anything I should know about this system?

Steven Pendleton

Alright, thanks. Not much I can do right now, but I'm going to go the hardware store tomorrow as soon as I can and get a longer screwdriver and open the Vectrex and take a look.

Hopefully the sound chip is in an IC socket so I can just get a chip puller and rip it out and replace it, but I won't know for certain until tomorrow.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, an actual update: I opened the Vectrex and the sound chip is soldered to the motherboard. I'll have to learn how to solder and get some equipment, apparently. Apparently a lot of stuff runs through sound, so hopefully fixing the sound will fix the video. It turns out that the brightness knob was inside the case. The tiny little board that it's on is cracked in half, but hopefully it still works. Everything seems to be intact otherwise. I don't see any bad caps or anything... my camera is too poor for me to take any decent pictures, and of course my trash-tier photography skills, which are on par with that of a newborn baby, would prevent me from doing so anyway.

Now that I have recovered the brightness knob, I plugged it in to see if changing the brightness changed anything and it did not.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Okay, an actual update: I opened the Vectrex and the sound chip is soldered to the motherboard. I'll have to learn how to solder and get some equipment, apparently. Apparently a lot of stuff runs through sound, so hopefully fixing the sound will fix the video. It turns out that the brightness knob was inside the case. The tiny little board that it's on is cracked in half, but hopefully it still works. Everything seems to be intact otherwise. I don't see any bad caps or anything... my camera is too poor for me to take any decent pictures, and of course my trash-tier photography skills, which are on par with that of a newborn baby, would prevent me from doing so anyway.

Now that I have recovered the brightness knob, I plugged it in to see if changing the brightness changed anything and it did not.

Most likely the cracked board means cracked and broken traces hence why the knob didn't make any change. So that will also have to be looked into to be fixed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...