IGNORED

838-IO Plus PREORDER is UP!

Shift838

3 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Ahh, yes-- again, I added it, because the brim generation routine *WOULD* want to generate brim in there.  I can throw down a .stp without the brim control feature.

If you are working without brims, try this for subsequent prints for side B.

Enclosure B no brim control.stl 175.57 kB · 1 download

I'll slice that and throw it on the Ender 3V2 and see how it works!

8 hours ago, wierd_w said:

I would personally advise to use a brim, but different strokes for different folks.

Let me know how it turns out.

I normally don’t use an attached brim, but if the original one was designed that way to require one so it can remove that extra one piece that goes around the edge, I’ll try it with an attached brim.  I normally do a detached brim that goes around the item before it starts printing it to get any weirdness out of the way before the main object printing starts.

I tried printing the one you posted without the brim several times, and it just wasn’t sticking.  I’ll re-slice the original one with a brim and see if it improves things.

That is why I Incorporated the brim control feature. Cleaning up corners is better than cleaning up all the insides of the ribs, and there would not be enough adhesive contact without a brim. (As you found out. ;) )

Without the feature, the slicer thinks all the ribs are 'perimeter', and puts brim in between them. With the feature, it generates brim more sanely, but this baked on control feature is a dirty kludge.

I would use a 5mm or larger brim.

2 minutes ago, dhe said:

Looking at the card again, @Shift838 you did an amazing job with the silk screen, you also avoided TI's bad habit of running traces between pins. I wonder if that was a feature of the routing software they used.

thank you.  I always try to avoid running traces between pins if at all possible, but sometimes it is unavoidable. unless i increase the board size.  But with this board that was not an issue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dhe said:

Looking at the card again, @Shift838 you did an amazing job with the silk screen, you also avoided TI's bad habit of running traces between pins. I wonder if that was a feature of the routing software they used.

All manufacturers run (ran?) traces between pins. There's plenty of room.

26 minutes ago, Stuart said:

All manufacturers run (ran?) traces between pins. There's plenty of room.

You are certainly correct. I just find with my poor soldering / desoldering abilities, not having traces ran between pins lessens the probability of me messing up a trace or creating a solder bridge if no traces run between.

• Like 1

Look what got delivered today!  My PCBs were just shipped Monday from overseas and I got them today!

I only have a couple of other parts that need to come in now and I can start assembling.  (IC sockets and 44 pin edgecard) 

I have been printing cases for the last couple of days.  Still have some more to print while I wait for the remainder parts for the cards.

I had enough parts to put one complete unit with 32k expansion board together and it all works like a charm...

IMG_0400.JPG

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Looks like you are making the cables yourself?  Thought you indicated someone was making them for you from an earlier post.

Yes, I decided to make them.  The last 3 I received did not work correctly so in order to get these out I decided to make them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

Yes, I decided to make them.  The last 3 I received did not work correctly so in order to get these out I decided to make them.

Fair enough.  I the guy could not make them correctly, I guess the next option is to do it yourself.  Have fun ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dhe said:

I can visually id most of the components.

What's the bare cartridge boards for?

good eye..  I ordered a handful of FinalGrom boards to populate.  

I have most of the components just need to get one chip for each of them.  of course it's the hardest to get right now.  I did find 5 and they are on their way to me.

• Like 3

Update.

I have most of the cards built, just a handful left to do then I get to start on the cables.

• 10 x 838-IO Plus PEB cards still need to be built - probably tackle that tomorrow
  • All 3D cases printed
  • All the 838-IO Plus side cards have been built
  • All of the 32k Expansion Side Car Modules that were ordered have been built

Cables probably starting Friday and next week will start mailing everyone's out.  Watch your emails for your tracking information.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 3

Update....

All,

I had a couple of power blips this afternoon and it seems to have affected my IDE card.  I don't have time to dive into it right now to figure out what's wrong with it and added to that with all the cables I have to make for the 838-IOP.

so, all 838-IOP cards will be tested on

TI-99/4A F18 Enabled

32k Expansion

Floppy Disk Controller

838-Speech

TiPi

If you have any questions, please contact me.

• Like 2