IGNORED

838-IO Plus PREORDER is UP!

Shift838

26 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

Is there a recommended way to secure the 838-IO card in the PEB?  It is working fine but can shift up a worrying amount in there it seems if there is any downward pressure on the connecting cable.

Mine is plugged into my PEB (slot #1) and both edges fit nicely into the slots of the PEB Cage with no issue and with hardly any movement.  With the PEB top installed it does not come out of the slot when pulled on.  I even have my PEB laying on its side.  I have 3 PEB's and I have test fitted it with each one to make sure it was correct in measurements.  I also used the same measurements for height as the new HRD4000B card.

If your card is not lining up with your card slot guides on your PEB cage then you need to look at your PEB cage as it may be bent.

19 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

If your card is not lining up with your card slot guides on your PEB cage then you need to look at your PEB cage as it may be bent.

Thanks, it is in the slot guides without issue -  the problem is the amount of headspace above the card.

Cased cards are taller (by about 4.5mm) and make contact with that factory foam on top and are not possible to tilt up/down in the slot.

838-io-plus.1.thumb.jpg.6cd05c1a061efcda0eca457cc9486e65.jpg838-io-plus2.1.thumb.jpg.29e9e2d9436591686c8b52c82d234b23.jpg

If I actually purposely pull up on the card with the PEB case on I can lift it up enough that the edge connector is what feels to be at least 80% out of the slot.  To the point where it's no longer solidly connected.

I'll model and print a simple top bracket for it, that should lock it in so it can't shift at all.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

If I actually purposely pull up on the card with the PEB case on I can lift it up enough that the edge connector is what feels to be at least 80% out of the slot.  To the point where it's no longer solidly connected.

I'll model and print a simple top bracket for it, that should lock it in so it can't shift at all.

if you have the PEB sitting as the designed orientation then I don't think the card is going to pull itself out of the edge connector.

If you want to make a simple bracket to address your worry, then go for it.  If you want to provide the design files to the group, then even better.  You may not be the only one who has the feeling.  I would even print one to verify myself if you provide them.

Got my 838 IO Plus installed today (in the process of moving TI to another room), really, really nice! What a pleasure not to have to deal with the original TI fire-hose cable. Noticeably less desk-top space wasted with this gem. I wish I had had this when I had my Horizon Mouse - the black cable and boot were always in the way.

Though I ordered the 4 ft. cable, 3 would have been plenty due to the intuitive design (it's small and flexible).

I am very impressed with the small footprint of the vertical card on the TI99/4a end of things. Quite unobstructive. The case was also very well thought out and designed.

I read some of the notes here. It has been my experience that any PEB Card not in a case, that has cables or such dangling from the back, will eventually cause a problem. The card tends to rise up in the front from the weight of the cables in the back. This mostly seems to happen in PEB's that have had years of use. My SCSI card is a good example of this and it drove me crazy till I figured it out. The cables should be supported to prevent lifting (in older PEB's), or better yet, cut a 6.5 in. long x 1 in. (or so) wide section from a shim board and lay it across the cards not in cases - placed right behind the cards in cases. Replace the PEB cover and problem will be solved.

I do hope that someday there will be a SAMS card that can be placed into the case as well. Great job shift-838!

• Like 3

A big thanks to @remowilliams  !!!

I printed up two of the spacers. It seems 2" and 7 3/4 are the optimal spacing to hit the little sponge strips going across the pbox.

They hold the card rock solid, no more slight wiggle. I need to print a handful of these and retrofit some existing cards.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
30 minutes ago, Libroe said:

Any chance I can get the actual stl files for the case instead of the gcode files. I think I need to slice the stl files myself for my Ender 3. The gcode files provided just make a messy pile of plastic.

ichecked the below link and the stl files are there.  redownload and check.

http://www.shift838.com/downloads/838IOPCASES.zip

• Like 1