IGNORED

Legit GleyLancer ROM board?

DrBizz

@Steven Pendleton I have the SG/MD classics bundle on Steam, but I do have a full set otherwise on a mega everdrive.  I was more surprised this odd company Laikasomething picked up Gleylancer, Wings of War, and Moto Roader(PCE) for sale for a few bucks on steam, switch, sony, ms.

I've never tried either of those two games on Sega you mentioned for the Genesis, not feeling I'd like to ever given.  I'm fine with hard, but not fury inducing stupidity hard.

As far as MD goes I never considered it until a friend repaired the hack n slash poor mod job my traded Nomad had, he added a JP/US region switch on boot, re-tied in the audio for FM and CD audio (for SMS/SCD iso support on mega everdrive.)  I started to glance at some MD stuff and it was sickeningly bad for anything that wasn't localized I looked at so far from Gieylancer to Battlemania2 since I own trouble shooter.  That's why I asked if it was all bad, as I just won't bother.  I did go through aliexpress after having 2 good experiences and now using paypal as a shield and have an inbound pack of 3 MD boots for MegaMan, Panorama Cotton, and Battlemania 2 as the real prices can suck it.  Not so much mega man I mean I own it on the Sega mini, just want a tangible cart for my systems and it was like $5 so I didn't care. ;)  I did the same for Aero Fighters on SNES as one person makes a 1:1 external copy of it for $10 vs $1000+ for a real one which is asinine.

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@DrBizz Honorable and I get that.  I used to work in the industry half a lifetime ago, media after, and in both cases there were NDAs involved.  While I think you're one step below that, the intention is all the same so you don't need to say more.  Given your last two sentences, we're on the same page 100%.  Back when NintendoAge was like a little less arrogant and an authority of things (talking decade ago now plus) along with digital press I remember conversations that went into scum like that, and one that always stood out to me, yet no one had a name, since the guy worked stealth through yahoo japan auctions is a local over there.  He would intentionally pay up, sometimes more than he should, just to get prototypes, betas, unfinished works and related, and then ghost it.  Never could even get a straight answer if the stuff was ever properly preserved and duplicated in storage, but he'd just buy things, then hide them.  Those I guess who knew who it was and could get in contact could never pry info (minimum at best) or a piece out of his grubby fingers, he basically was the equal of then gamer historians entitled Karen.   All about him, and no one else, a black hole of asshole-ism where nothing escapes.

I wouldn't care if it was earthbound or not, those guys make no sense to me anyway, haven't in 20 years as the game is utterly mediocre and not rare.  If it's history, it's news, it's worthy of checking out (text, pics, videos...game?) I'm happy to find out, dig into it, preserve it and all that.

Man, what at absolute piece of shit. I don't care how much money you have that is really selfish and rude to intentionally horde stuff to feel empowered or "better" than other collectors and members of the community. I personally guarantee I will NOT do that, I just need some time to get my video capture situation together before I make my videos of the protos. One of them is an early build of Awesome Possum, and it is so hilariously bad but it still has a charm to it for me even though I know it's such an F. I'm proud to spend my own money on a dumper and give the community the ROMS when the time comes, I have downloaded and plays tons of unreleased or prototype games with my various Everdrives and it will feel good to give back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrBizz said:

Man, what at absolute piece of shit. I don't care how much money you have that is really selfish and rude to intentionally horde stuff to feel empowered or "better" than other collectors and members of the community.

Unfortunately this is quite common in the prototype collecting community.  It gets amped up to 11 though when you're dealing with prototypes of games that are rare and expensive to begin with.  Then there are things like Neo Geo prototypes which are on a whole different level...

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

Unfortunately this is quite common in the prototype collecting community.  It gets amped up to 11 though when you're dealing with prototypes of games that are rare and expensive to begin with.  Then there are things like Neo Geo prototypes which are on a whole different level...

Totally I've seen that too, it's so utterly and completely childish and self centered.  Even if your precious rom were dumped, so?  The value is carried not just by the code but the actual ownership of the original factory dump and property that fell into someones illicit hands in the end, as commonly it's not like the company gave these private owners the right to actually own it, the IP holders still do. :)

I fear that Japanese douche got Wing Commander II for the Super Famicom, it was 100% complete, believe it was english translated too, and unlike the first one, this one was complete and functioned eerily in parallel to the DOS game which is a real crime it's missing.

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

Wow, yeah NeoGeo stuff is as bad as it gets regarding insane pricing and general unavailability. Some people just have a greedy and selfish mentality towards it. I think paying high prices for exclusive stuff makes people feel entitled to it, it's a status and elitism thing I guess.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Totally I've seen that too, it's so utterly and completely childish and self centered.  Even if your precious rom were dumped, so?  The value is carried not just by the code but the actual ownership of the original factory dump and property that fell into someones illicit hands in the end, as commonly it's not like the company gave these private owners the right to actually own it, the IP holders still do. :)

I fear that Japanese douche got Wing Commander II for the Super Famicom, it was 100% complete, believe it was english translated too, and unlike the first one, this one was complete and functioned eerily in parallel to the DOS game which is a real crime it's missing.

Yeah, that's what I find so stupid about it. Like, these collectors have plenty of cash to buy expensive games you can afford a god damned dumper to preserve it forever and share the ROM with the community. I can't stand when some asshole has an eBay listing that directly says "undumped" in the title, just taunting people that it is special and speculating it would lose value if dumped. Absolute garbage.

6 hours ago, DrBizz said:

Wow, yeah NeoGeo stuff is as bad as it gets regarding insane pricing and general unavailability. Some people just have a greedy and selfish mentality towards it. I think paying high prices for exclusive stuff makes people feel entitled to it, it's a status and elitism thing I guess.

As an MVS owner for 6 years now and seeing a change from the first 2 years I've owned it and into it since and what has evolved and devolved you're 100% on it.  It's all about status and elitism behavior.  We can think some dickery doesn't happen, such as the found 3rd version the Perfect version of Samurai Shodown V that was made public as that could have gone into a vault or extorted horribly.  Yet there are some trolls, I can of 1-2 of them, who have some games you can only find until more recently poor old magazine scans or promo scans of stuff, and they turned up with it.  The owner threw videos of the demo mode, picture of IT itself, some gameplay mechanics, title screen and music on twitter video captures...and here we are many months later, and still might as well be a fart in the wind.  It could have been put out there, hopefully it's backed up, redundantly at least, as that's likely the only copy and if it goes into the ether, the selfish behavior kills a piece of SNK history.  It's just as bad as the AES end on the whole and some of the utterly extortionate level of pricing on the late release stuff that can tip the scales at over $10000 for a title like Neo Turf Masters and I think the last of the Metal Slugs that reached it.  Those who have it, love to show it off...key word, show.

6 hours ago, DrBizz said:

Yeah, that's what I find so stupid about it. Like, these collectors have plenty of cash to buy expensive games you can afford a god damned dumper to preserve it forever and share the ROM with the community. I can't stand when some asshole has an eBay listing that directly says "undumped" in the title, just taunting people that it is special and speculating it would lose value if dumped. Absolute garbage.

That's what it is, buzz word, like old douchy late 90s into the 00s L@@K put up on listings and when RARE actually wasn't just something it ignore but get tinglies over.  Rare meant hard to find and valuable, not some damn game that sold into the 100s of thousands that they can squeeze someone for $100 or more on.  It's all speculator cannon fodder and garbage completely.  Like you (mind you I had it) and also some seriously deep pockets as i work from home I'd aggressively pull some Elon Musk level trolling of these types, regularly.  I'd grab anything that's stupid expensive of the real rare type, protos, betas, unreleased (lack of publisher) stuff and it would be video game (cifaldli) style archived, researched, published with images, and then made public just to middle finger the entire mess (like Musk is doing to twitter currently trying to buy control of them so they're forced to honor actual free speech, not speech they're freely only supporting of, and given where he grew up I get why he's doing it and respect it even more.)

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

As an MVS owner for 6 years now and seeing a change from the first 2 years I've owned it and into it since and what has evolved and devolved you're 100% on it.  It's all about status and elitism behavior.  We can think some dickery doesn't happen, such as the found 3rd version the Perfect version of Samurai Shodown V that was made public as that could have gone into a vault or extorted horribly.  Yet there are some trolls, I can of 1-2 of them, who have some games you can only find until more recently poor old magazine scans or promo scans of stuff, and they turned up with it.  The owner threw videos of the demo mode, picture of IT itself, some gameplay mechanics, title screen and music on twitter video captures...and here we are many months later, and still might as well be a fart in the wind.  It could have been put out there, hopefully it's backed up, redundantly at least, as that's likely the only copy and if it goes into the ether, the selfish behavior kills a piece of SNK history.  It's just as bad as the AES end on the whole and some of the utterly extortionate level of pricing on the late release stuff that can tip the scales at over $10000 for a title like Neo Turf Masters and I think the last of the Metal Slugs that reached it.  Those who have it, love to show it off...key word, show.

That's what it is, buzz word, like old douchy late 90s into the 00s L@@K put up on listings and when RARE actually wasn't just something it ignore but get tinglies over.  Rare meant hard to find and valuable, not some damn game that sold into the 100s of thousands that they can squeeze someone for $100 or more on.  It's all speculator cannon fodder and garbage completely.  Like you (mind you I had it) and also some seriously deep pockets as i work from home I'd aggressively pull some Elon Musk level trolling of these types, regularly.  I'd grab anything that's stupid expensive of the real rare type, protos, betas, unreleased (lack of publisher) stuff and it would be video game (cifaldli) style archived, researched, published with images, and then made public just to middle finger the entire mess (like Musk is doing to twitter currently trying to buy control of them so they're forced to honor actual free speech, not speech they're freely only supporting of, and given where he grew up I get why he's doing it and respect it even more.)

Hahaha, yeah with stuff like the NeoGeo and other rare consoles I'm just fine without them. If they are that unavailable and wealthy gatekeepers hold all the cards then they can sit there in their speculation bubble of debt. And if wealthy collectors pay what they are willing to pay and enjoy it then that's fine too, nothing wrong with that. I collect $1 shovel ware for the Wii, Ps2 and original Xbox because God forbid, I actually like collecting for the sake of collecting and not just buying expensive things to feel special. That's what I enjoy about having these protos, I can release them for free and do kinda what you are talking about haha. They made it into good hands. Speaking of which, I made a video with a link to my Awesome Possum beta, posting that thread now.

• Thanks 1

To me, I'd love it if people shared every prototype rom, but as long as they're backed up somewhere then I'm happy.  It's the people who have one of a kind protos who have never had them dumped that annoy me.  If you don't want to share it that's fine, but don't let it be lost forever due to bit rot because you're too lazy to have it preserved.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tempest said:

To me, I'd love it if people shared every prototype rom, but as long as they're backed up somewhere then I'm happy.  It's the people who have one of a kind protos who have never had them dumped that annoy me.  If you don't want to share it that's fine, but don't let it be lost forever due to bit rot because you're too lazy to have it preserved.

Yep, I definitely agree. I just made my Awesome Possum early build available, It's exciting to get the ball rolling releasing these betas. Check out the thread here, I just posted it.

I always release everything I'm able to.  Some people have accused me of hording prototypes because I'll review something and they can't find that rom, but 99 times out a 100 it's because I assumed it was already available (although sometimes it's because I can't release something due to promises I made).  I don't host roms on my site, so I post them on AA as I review them.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm still impressed it's that game of all things and in such a weird situation as it all is with that sticker.  You really have to wonder what the back story is, a gift, a test, early preview copy slapped in whatever.

Right? It's really strange. I'd guess early preview copy where they just didn't bother to change the label myself.

Personally I think that is the likely case, it wasn't important enough, slapped it into the shell, and gave it to this likely higher up dude that the name is being wisely withheld since our current owner knows the backstory here and has to be confidential about it.

The nice thing is in the end while it is horribly expensive as many MD games are you do have 3 physical means to meddle with this without eating it.

- Multicart like I got off ali last month for $10~ the awesome 218in1

- Single shot bootleg using a quality board found again on ali(I found someone with a 2021 made board using gold pins/traces) with correct setup for voltages etc

- $6 (sale now around $4) for Nintendo Switch on the eshop (also on Steam but not on sale)

Also I did try one other thing, looking up that MPR number on the chip, usually it's a unique identifier of the game, but I'm coming up with nothing.

The thing I really don't understand is if it was in fact sent as a sample, demo etc why is it an actual retail PCB? Other carts I got in this same lot are a retail ROM flashed onto a dev cart with EPROMS. My guess is the game had simply been out for a while in Japan and the retail board was readily available.

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Personally I think that is the likely case, it wasn't important enough, slapped it into the shell, and gave it to this likely higher up dude that the name is being wisely withheld since our current owner knows the backstory here and has to be confidential about it.

Also I did try one other thing, looking up that MPR number on the chip, usually it's a unique identifier of the game, but I'm coming up with nothing.

I genuinely don't have a name on who this was that had these, just their postion and the company, and it doesn't get me any answers anyway so it is what it is. Wow, that is fascinating, what could that mean possibly?