IGNORED

player1pointerlo in DPC+ kernel

Evilarinho

Messing with pointers related to the sprites and playfield is fairly unexplored territory on any of the kernels.  Up until Al_Nafuurs 1942 code this year no one knew you could scroll the multi sprite playfield using PF1pointer/PF2pointer.

I'd suggest trying to use pointer manipulation techniques you already confirmed to work in the standard and multi sprite kernels and trying them in DPC+  Report back your findings here :)  Perhaps more advanced users could then provide feedback on why something does or does not work.

I guess the other possibility is DPC+ is so different behind the curtain that what strategy one uses in 6502 code doesn't apply to the ARM code in DPC+.  Meaning, maybe you should ask about what effect you're trying to achieve rather than using player1pointerlo specifically.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2022 at 1:14 AM, Gemintronic said:

Messing with pointers related to the sprites and playfield is fairly unexplored territory on any of the kernels.  Up until Al_Nafuurs 1942 code this year no one knew you could scroll the multi sprite playfield using PF1pointer/PF2pointer.

I'd suggest trying to use pointer manipulation techniques you already confirmed to work in the standard and multi sprite kernels and trying them in DPC+  Report back your findings here :)  Perhaps more advanced users could then provide feedback on why something does or does not work.

I guess the other possibility is DPC+ is so different behind the curtain that what strategy one uses in 6502 code doesn't apply to the ARM code in DPC+.  Meaning, maybe you should ask about what effect you're trying to achieve rather than using player1pointerlo specifically.

Gemintronic,

Attached is what i was working on today for a game I'm trying to build. I have all three versions using player1 except one portion on the DPC doesn't work. Basically the spike going up and then fading back down. I attached 6 different .bas to make it easier to digest and title one that's working. Thats the DPC one when I put in player1pointerlo I get all kinds of wierd errors. Plus I would rather use the DPC verison for the game I'm building for my grandkids to play.

20230915 - DPC_Variable_Height_(Spike_Down).bas 20230915 - DPC_Variable_Height_(Spike_Up)_NOT_WORKING.bas 20230915 - Mulisprite_variable_height_sprite_(Spike_Down).bas 20230915 - Mulisprite_variable_height_sprite_(Spike_Up).bas 20230915 - Standard_Kernel_variable_height_sprite_(Spike_Down).bas 20230915 - Standard_Kernel_variable_height_sprite_(Spike_Up).bas