IGNORED

A new controller SECOND BATCH AVAILABLE

tanuki

10 minutes ago, grips03 said:

Does it use a conductive mylar on the inside like the original?

Is there a way to round out the controller outside?  Looks to be more NES controller (square edges) and less like PC-Engine (rounded)?

We are using micro switches, no mylar.

The size and shape is same as Intellivision I controllers. The original design had the wire coming out at same position than INTV 1 also, that allowed to put them in the original spot. We’ve moved the cable due to reactions to our initial video and testers feedback.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, YannAros said:

The size and shape is same as Intellivision I controllers. The original design had the wire coming out at same position than INTV 1 also, that allowed to put them in the original spot. We’ve moved the cable due to reactions to our initial video and testers feedback.

I wonder how well these will work with super fast games like Inty Skiing on the faster tracks? Regular Inty Disc controllers cannot handle the faster Skiing slopes. (I've yet to find an Inty 2609 controller that doesn't fail this test). The disc will skip or miss commands leading to the Skier going all over the place or missing gates, etc.

I'd be happy to test a pair of them playing Skiing on the faster slopes to see how well they pass this test..... ?

Edited by Rickster8
Wording

12 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

I wonder how well these will work with super fast games like Inty Skiing on the faster tracks? Regular Inty Disc controllers cannot handle the faster Skiing slopes. (I've yet to find an Inty 2609 controller that doesn't fail this test). The disc will skip or miss commands leading to the Skier going all over the place or missing gates, etc.

I'd be happy to test a pair of them playing Skiing on the faster slopes to see how well they pass this test..... ?

Is that an issue of the controller or an issue of the game itself and how often it is polling the controller?

7 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

Is that an issue of the controller or an issue of the game itself and how often it is polling the controller?

I'd say the controller (disc), but I'm not a techie so cannot be 100% sure... I just see the lame results playing it. Various times it will skip a command cuz the game is just too fast..... 

Edited by Rickster8
Wording

29 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Original Skiing or Super Pro?  I played a lot of the original on highest speed and never noticed an issue.

I found the faster speeds easier than the slower ones.  Easier to "slide" to make gates and clear jumps etc.

I will try SP this weekend and see if I noticed thing.  Haven't played in so long, I most likely would notice anyway ;)

1 hour ago, YannAros said:

Question: how do you manage to handle the disc with microswitches? Are you using DPDT switches? For instance, just to get 8 directions requires a DPDT switch on at least two of the cardinal directions.

11 minutes ago, JohnPCAE said:

Question: how do you manage to handle the disc with microswitches? Are you using DPDT switches? For instance, just to get 8 directions requires a DPDT switch on at least two of the cardinal directions.

16 tiny switches laid out in a circle 22.5 degrees around the circumference? 

2 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

Original Skiing or Super Pro?  I played a lot of the original on highest speed and never noticed an issue.

I found the faster speeds easier than the slower ones.  Easier to "slide" to make gates and clear jumps etc.

I will try SP this weekend and see if I noticed thing.  Haven't played in so long, I most likely would notice anyway ;)

U.S. Ski Team Skiing.... 

@mr_me has noticed it too, last year when we played it in the HSC....

Edited by Rickster8
Wording

31 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

U.S. Ski Team Skiing.... 

@mr_me has noticed it too, last year when we played it in the HSC....

1981/82 was a while ago.  Maybe I just have fond memories and block out any issues.

That is,  I didn't remember you could not run and shoot at the same time in Deadly Discs or Night Stalker.  I just got so used to it, I didn't realize it was an issue.

45 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

1981/82 was a while ago.  Maybe I just have fond memories and block out any issues.

That is,  I didn't remember you could not run and shoot at the same time in Deadly Discs or Night Stalker.  I just got so used to it, I didn't realize it was an issue.

Yeah it’s funny cuz when I played Skiing as a kid I never noticed the disk skipping, but now trying to compete in HSCs and going for world records I notice the disc inefficiencies.... I like the disc, but I don’t love it.... 

5 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

I'd say the controller (disc), but I'm not a techie so cannot be 100% sure... I just see the lame results playing it. Various times it will skip a command cuz the game is just too fast..... 

I think it's the software.  I don't think the controller will make a difference.

4 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

16 tiny switches laid out in a circle 22.5 degrees around the circumference? 

You could do it with eight switches.  The four diagonal switches would be wired to the same pin.

• Like 1

Just wondering, when you start, do you press the disc or a number?

I always pressed the disc, because it is the biggest / easiest button to press!  Didn't care about the speed / difficulty.

The first time I realized it made a difference was when I got sub hunt.  That may have been the first manual I actually read.

I have a brother 10 years older, he would give me a quick overview of the game and I played.

When I got sub hunt, I had to figure it out on my own, my brother went to Canada to play hockey.  Except for the weekend my Dad and I drove up to see him play, I only saw him one other time all season.

Toured an asbestos mine while I was visiting.  Hmm, remember when that was the wonder material.  :(  

9 hours ago, JohnPCAE said:

12 switches are used for the disc but there are also diodes involved to bring 2 signals down to GND for each switch.

This is acting like the original mylar without the need for DPDT switches, DPDT switches were used in first drawings / prototypes.

Please note that this price is indicative (there is a world paper crisis, with prices that can be 30% higher than the norm) and there is also a crisis on several electronic components, but normally the price of the following set

-1 box
-1 notice/making of
-1 controller
-1 adapter
-the D-pad + the circle + the joystick

should be around 50€ (I let you do the conversion in your currency).

Regarding the stl files and printing for people without a 3D printer, we'll see what we can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Very cool. Definitely interested in a pair.. wish it could be ambidextrous so I could use my right thumb on the disc. It’s going to be tough to un-learn 40 years of muscle memory.

Sent from unspecified hardware using indeterminate software

• Like 1

23 hours ago, YannAros said:

So, does that mean they no longer fits in the original spot since you moved the wire?

Having the wire come out of the top side right (as opposed to the bottom side right like the original spot) like an original SMS controller it should feel much more comfortable and still fit in the original spot within the Intellivision. Just a thought.