IGNORED

7800 Pro- Missing pieces

jham55

46 minutes ago, jham55 said:

Also, where do people find 7800 pro power adapters? They seem to be 50-60 bucks.

New 2018 boxed Best Auto switching Upgraded / Enhanced Atari 7800 Power Supply with the normal 90 day Atari Warranty.  
Part No. CA025492-303   Model No. CX781  U$D 21.00

https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/New Best 7800 Power supply.htm

Phone: 408-278-1070 (1:30 - 5 PM, PST, M - F)
E-Mail: bestelec@bestelec.digitalspacemail8.net 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Trebor said:

New 2018 boxed Best Auto switching Upgraded / Enhanced Atari 7800 Power Supply with the normal 90 day Atari Warranty.  
Part No. CA025492-303   Model No. CX781  U$D 21.00

https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/New Best 7800 Power supply.htm

Phone: 408-278-1070 (1:30 - 5 PM, PST, M - F)
E-Mail: bestelec@bestelec.digitalspacemail8.net 

I purchased one of the new Best 7800 power supplies and its great!  It's powering my daily driver as we speak.  I recommend it and plan on getting a second one as a backup. 

• Like 1

I really wish another large scale source for those 2 prong plugs could be found. Would really like to know who bought out console5's stock of the ones they had. They literally had over 400 of them and then practically overnight, they were down to less than 100 and within a week...none. I was able to purchase about a dozen during that timeframe but man...

As has been noted, Best does sell a replacement that I've heard good things about although I've not used one myself. I still have a few OEMs on hand for spares. But since I mainly use my DragonFly cart on my daily driver these days, I actually use a different PSU setup since the DF doesn't use the original plug type.

But if I should need a replacement PSU in the future, I would just clip the wire off the old PSU with the plug on it and then wire that into a different PSU with the same specs. True it doesn't look 'elegant' but it would get the job done. 

You can also modifiy the console to use a standard barrel jack DC connector on it and I've done this a few times. But it isn't a drop in replacement so you have to epoxy the replacement into place and wire it up to the needed points on the main board. But doing that you could use a more common PSU like from a Sega Genesis or similar system.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jham55 said:

Do you guys know what this piece is or does? It is rather loose. I"m wondering If I should replace or resolder.

IMG_8209.thumb.jpg.a1d6a15cd05bcebcc3949753a7a0910c.jpg

That is the MJE210 transistor. It is essential to the power on/off of the system and needs to be soldered in securely. Hopefully it still works okay.. I just had to replace one of these on a 7800 recently that wasn't powering on due to a faulty 201.

Edited by -^CrossBow^-
Corrected mistype on PN

1 hour ago, jham55 said:

Where did you find a replacement?

Honestly? I took it off another 7800 parts board. But the 5200 has two of them. I've been meaning to look for a current day equivalent replacement but hadn't gotten around to it yet. They don't go out that often although it can happen of course. 

And it seems that an equivalent part is in stock at Mouser: I should probably place an order for a few to have on hand soon.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/?qs=HVbQlW5zcXUfL2%2FzUAC2%2FQ%3D%3D

On 4/22/2022 at 3:52 AM, dankcomputing said:

The weird 2-pin connector IS used on other equipment, so what I've done in the past is get a cheap junk power brick that has the funky connector and then get another power brick that's openable and has the right voltage and swap the cable over.

Is the attachment with the green connector compatible? It looks similar to the one used for the 7800.

b9ELv8Y.jpg

1 hour ago, JayArgonaut said:

Is the attachment with the green connector compatible? It looks similar to the one used for the 7800.

b9ELv8Y.jpg

No...that is much wider in size than it looks. That is a generic part so that you can plug it into the adapter and then run wires externally from the screw terminal block. We actually use these in security camera installs because the cameras use a barrel jack DC input but we have to make very long wire runs and will use speaker wire using those connectors to attach back to the cameras within the walls.

4 hours ago, jham55 said:

I’m in Ohio. Can you take a pic of it? I’m curious how how flush to the board it should be. 

It isn't really supposed to be flush to the board or at least I've never seen them installed flush to the PCB. They are always standing a little proud off the board. They generate some heat as they provide the switching over to the actual voltage regulator and therefore they take the brunt of the input voltage from the power supply. So best to leave them standing a little high water off the PCB to allow for air flow around the component.

The one you original show in the picture, is actually mounted at about the normal height I see them. And they are also frequently mounted offset at an angle and not straight either LOL! Atari quality in the late 80s and all that.

4 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

No...that is much wider in size than it looks. That is a generic part so that you can plug it into the adapter and then run wires externally from the screw terminal block. We actually use these in security camera installs because the cameras use a barrel jack DC input but we have to make very long wire runs and will use speaker wire using those connectors to attach back to the cameras within the walls.

Damn it! That's such a shame because it's £8.95 on eBay UK. Ah well... Thanks. ?

• 3 weeks later...

What sucks is that there's no formal name or manufacturer for these plugs that I know of, even though they were used on other equipment besides the 7800. Would help a lot in tracking replacements down.

I do know there's a version of it floating around with either an indent or no tab at the top, so that's something to watch out for.

8 hours ago, dankcomputing said:

What sucks is that there's no formal name or manufacturer for these plugs that I know of, even though they were used on other equipment besides the 7800. Would help a lot in tracking replacements down.

I do know there's a version of it floating around with either an indent or no tab at the top, so that's something to watch out for.

That new Best Electronics one is $21. Just go with that. A heck of a lot better than paying ~$40+ for an original (seems that is the going rate now? Bonkers.) and you don't have to piss around frankenstiening another power supply with a compatible female plugged cord from a charger. If that is your thing though, I believe console5 still has some of the cords you are speaking of.

EDIT: Nope console5 is out of those cords. 

Edited by Shawn

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

That new Best Electronics one is $21. Just go with that. A heck of a lot better than paying ~$40+ for an original (seems that is the going rate now? Bonkers.) and you don't have to piss around frankenstiening another power supply with a compatible female plugged cord from a charger. If that is your thing though, I believe console5 still has some of the cords you are speaking of.

EDIT: Nope console5 is out of those cords. 

The original question @Shawn was for the part that is actually on the main board. The actual power port itself not so much the power supply cable female end. Unless I misunderstood the original question?