IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 16 - Game 14 - Lock 'N' Chase

[Intellivision HSC Season 16]

( Game 14 )

Lock N Chase

Mattel-Lock-n-Chase.jpg

Lock N Chase by Mattel 1982

lock_n_chase.gif.fef88e541a89948f5fc3dce505860727.gif

Your thief's robbing a local bank. Police are in hot pursuit! Make tracks down the vault corridors. Swipe gold coins and other treasures as you go! Keep one step ahead of the law! Lock doors and throw cops off your trail! Collide with a cop.... He's "caught"! Keep on the run! 

ROM Download Link

http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21542/intellivision/Lock-N-Chase-1982-Mattel.html

Game Manual Link - Click link below then go to 'Games' then 'Manuals' and scroll down for Lock 'N' Chase

http://www.intellivision.us/intvlibrary/index.htm

High Score Club Record

184,660 CParsley (SET NEW RECORD +3)

Game Setting

PRESS DISC

Game Objectives

Pick up coins and hit the big pay-day in the middle of the screen, avoid the Keystone Cops and wrack up as much points as possible. 

Game Scoring

+13 [1st place], +12 [2nd place], +11 [3rd place], +9 [4th place] down to +1 pt for participation. +2 Game Winner Incentive. 

Extra Score Bonus: Get a score of 10,000 pts or more and earn +1 bonus point; Get a score of 20,000 pts or more and earn +2 bonus points; Get a score of 30,000 pts or more and earn +3 bonus points. Get a score of 40,000 pts or more and earn +4 bonus points; Get a score of 50,000 pts or more and earn +5 bonus points. Max-out Extra Score Bonus points earned is +5.  

Season Theme: Maze Craze and Critters. This game falls into the 'Maze Craze' category.

Contest Ends
SUNDAY MAY 8TH 11:59:59 PM EASTERN TIME

(FINAL SCORES)

135,860 - CParsley [+5 Bonus Points][+13][+2 GAME WINNER INCENTIVE]

118,640 - patbb [+5 Bonus Points][+12]

60,620 - Rickster8 [+5 Bonus Points][+11]

------------------------------------------------------------

44,920 - Wolfy62 [+4 Bonus Points][+9]

41,060 - IntyFanMatt [+4 Bonus Points][+8]

39,420 - m-crew [+3 Bonus Points][+7]

32,620 - fakecortex [+3 Bonus Points][+6]

25,520 - jimblargh [+2 Bonus Points][+5]

18,720 - Lupovax [+1 Bonus Point][+4]

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

After Vectron

220 - Rickster8

184 - CParsley

128 - Lupovax

124 - jimblargh

88 - Wolfy62

64 - Fakecortex

52 - Crade

51 - IntyFanMatt

46 - Gar0u

41 - Popsicle

30 - Player One

16 - Jblenkle

14 - Mr_Me

12 - Gavvv

10 - m-crew

Games Won

5 - Rickster8 - Night Stalker / TRON: Maze-A-Tron / Frog Bog / Safecracker / Vectron

4 - Mark Griff - Tutankham / Mouse Trap / Venture / Sewer Sam

2 - CParsley - Super Cobra / Congo Bongo

1 - IntyFanMatt - Shark! Shark!

1 - Popsicle - Buzz Bombers

Sneak Preview:

Lady Bug

Edited by Rickster8
Added in scores

My First Lock 'N' Chase Entry: I've never been very good at this one. I find the controls to be TERRIBLE!!!! I lose many guys because the controller doesn't do what it's told..... ??

LOCK 'N' CHASE - DISC LEVEL - 22,760 POINTS!!!

LOCKNCHASE(22760)HSC16.jpg.e954fb00b44c2182f7780b10c84f85a3.jpg

• Like 4

My SCHLOCK ENCHASE Update: Not gonna lie. NOT a fan of this one.... Can't believe how big this was back in the day. I didn't have it as a kid and yeeeaahhh I'm HORRIBLE at it..... ?

LOCK 'N' CHASE - DISC LEVEL - 28,840 POINTS!!!

LOCKNCHASE(28840)HSC16.jpg.d9256174b3f69d7f2aa4444bf3845f3e.jpg

• Like 4

I cant believe all the hate on an awesome game. There are TWO different control schemes as they set up different schemes halfway thru the game production run. One will allow the Lupin to stop mid way in the top pathways, while the later revision will NOT. The easiest way to tell is if you got 2 lines of Copywrite or not on the title screen and a collapsing Lupin on dying or not.

19 hours ago, cparsley said:

I cant believe all the hate on an awesome game. There are TWO different control schemes as they set up different schemes halfway thru the game production run. One will allow the Lupin to stop mid way in the top pathways, while the later revision will NOT. The easiest way to tell is if you got 2 lines of Copywrite or not on the title screen and a collapsing Lupin on dying or not.

I think there are several issues with the controls, and it’s specifically related to responsiveness. After you press a different direction, Lupin will continue to drift in the other direction sometimes. Also, the hit detection is poor, meaning sometimes you barely touch one of the enemies but still die, and it just seems unfair. I think they could have refined those parts of the game better. It’s a decent game but could’ve been much better, and I think it’s wayyyy overrated in Inty library. I would rather play the Pac-Man port which is very good. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

Wait you want the game to cheat and not catch you when the cops get ya???

Also, play LNC like one would play Pac-Man.. You control for where you WANT to go not where you are right then. If you select your next choice while in a tunnel like Pac-Man Rupin immediately makes his mark.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cparsley said:

Wait you want the game to cheat and not catch you when the cops get ya???

Also, play LNC like one would play Pac-Man.. You control for where you WANT to go not where you are right then. If you select your next choice while in a tunnel like Pac-Man Rupin immediately makes his mark.

Cheat? Lol. I’m not saying that. I just don’t think the game is responsive enough and I believe the hit detection is poor. Pac-Man is much better in my opinion. That’s all.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

But where this crappy game REALLY fails is the green opening and closing doors. This game did NOT need this. This game should be about speed. Get in and get out, but bcuz of the green doors nothing is fast. These stupid green doors are most of the reason POOPIN dies for me... One of the stupidest inclusions to a game. This horrible gaming development decision is right up there with the Congo Bongo fish turning orange. Both are just plain ASININE!!!! 

Edited by Rickster8
  • Haha 2

Just find it funny people laugh about a challenge in their games... Poor kids.... We had our games hard.... Nintendo Hard... VCS/INTV HARRRRD!!! Something like Vectron, LNC, etc would not be made today because of people whining about it being too hard. The doors were added by Data East in the arcade out of necessity for two reasons. One, they wanted more of a difficulty challenge, and two, they HAD TO differentiate the game from Pac-Man, lest be sued by the asshats that is Atari Inc.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, cparsley said:

Just find it funny people laugh about a challenge in their games... Poor kids.... We had our games hard.... Nintendo Hard... VCS/INTV HARRRRD!!! Something like Vectron, LNC, etc would not be made today because of people whining about it being too hard. The doors were added by Data East in the arcade out of necessity for two reasons. One, they wanted more of a difficulty challenge, and two, they HAD TO differentiate the game from Pac-Man, lest be sued by the asshats that is Atari Inc.

I have absolutely no problem with difficult games, and have completed many hard games over the years. What I do have a problem with is games that are programmed with poor controls, slow responsiveness, inconsistent hit detection, and frustrating gameplay design. That’s where my problem lies with the game. Again, I’m not saying it’s a bad game, I just think they could have refined those things to make it a better experience. 

If you enjoy it with those flaws, that’s totally fine. To each his own. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I have absolutely no problem with difficult games, and have completed many hard games over the years. What I do have a problem with is games that are programmed with poor controls, slow responsiveness, inconsistent hit detection, and frustrating gameplay design. That’s where my problem lies with the game. Again, I’m not saying it’s a bad game, I just think they could have refined those things to make it a better experience. 

If you enjoy it with those flaws, that’s totally fine. To each his own. 

The hit detection is not inconsistent; it's programmed the same as arcade Locknchase and Pacman.  They don't use pixel collision, they use zone position.  It's what allows pacman to travel through ghosts and similarly it's possible for the thief to harmlessly move through a cop.  The difference is that in the arcade games the collision zones are smaller than the sprites, while with Intellivision Locknchase they're the same size so it's possible to be caught with as little as one pixel overlap.  But you can also consistently grab the cash while the cop is practically on top of you.

On 4/27/2022 at 12:03 AM, Rickster8 said:

But where this crappy game REALLY fails is the green opening and closing doors. This game did NOT need this. This game should be about speed. Get in and get out, but bcuz of the green doors nothing is fast. These stupid green doors are most of the reason POOPIN dies for me... One of the stupidest inclusions to a game. This horrible gaming development decision is right up there with the Congo Bongo fish turning orange. Both are just plain ASININE!!!! 

I just go through the doors when they're open.  In the original arcade game the vault doesn't even have doors at the bottom, you could only go in from the top.

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

I just go through the doors when they're open.  In the original arcade game the vault doesn't even have doors at the bottom, you could only go in from the top.

This is patently false.... Arcade Lock 'n Chase does allow vault access from the bottom as well as the top, just like the INTV. The only major difference is the INTV maze is redesigned a little due to the lower resolution compared to arcade.

Proof of such is here in this youtube video...

(Not my playing) lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJiySPAqaJk

35 minutes ago, cparsley said:

This is patently false.... Arcade Lock 'n Chase does allow vault access from the bottom as well as the top, just like the INTV. The only major difference is the INTV maze is redesigned a little due to the lower resolution compared to arcade.

Proof of such is here in this youtube video...

(Not my playing) lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJiySPAqaJk

This is the original Japanese layout, according to MAME.  They did change it and the Intellivision version is based on those changes.

lncjp.thumb.png.6daf817949620a02c541daebb4622d6b.png

I do not believe any of us live in Japan, so the both sides entrance still applies lol

Also the Japanese Intellivision version of Lock 'n Chase does have our setup not that one...

It does however, work a little more into the reworked intv grid, making a dead zone below the bank pen while the intv does it with the long corridors to the left/right of the bank.

Edited by cparsley
  • Haha 1