IGNORED

How much longer will the Atari VCS be on the market?

swlovinist

First off, I want to say that I am a backer and have watched the progression of the VCS since day one.    I have been objective about this console, and want nothing but its success and long lifespan.    I do think that the VCS might not be around long term.   Sales have been quite slow, with some retailers already clearing out what little they have.   This leaves Atari to offer them alone in the future, which I predict they will at least do until Atari's 50th anniversary.    A year longer?  Two years?  What happens then?   One thing that Atari could do is offer a price discount.   If not, then I predict that this will continue to struggle to attract many newcomers.    Atari is offering the recharged series as well as few other games, but they don't need the VCS for that.     

• Like 1

Honestly, and I say this as someone who likes the VCS a lot, probably not too long.  They never bothered selling it in the markets where I feel it would have thrived as Atari computers did in the past.  They only did a limited release at best, in a fairly hostile market thru a few retailers.

But, it's not a console, its a PC.  Most PCs I buy are probably going out of production within a short period of time after I buy them.  Its not like a console where ceasing production is the death of the platform.  The VCS 'platform' is just plain old PC Linux running on AMD64.

The games can be copied right out from the storage partition and run with no modification on a decent Linux desktop.  The Atari OS can be removed or disabled and the VCS can just boot right into Linux, continue playing your VCS games, install Steam and keep running it for years to come, just like any other PC.  I'm sure even when the mainboards die, folks will find other boards to fit inside the snazzy case and keep on running into the future.

So, TL/DR?   Probably not too much longer, but it's not the end of the world if production stops.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, swlovinist said:

First off, I want to say that I am a backer and have watched the progression of the VCS since day one.    I have been objective about this console, and want nothing but its success and long lifespan.    I do think that the VCS might not be around long term.   Sales have been quite slow, with some retailers already clearing out what little they have.   This leaves Atari to offer them alone in the future, which I predict they will at least do until Atari's 50th anniversary.    A year longer?  Two years?  What happens then?   One thing that Atari could do is offer a price discount.   If not, then I predict that this will continue to struggle to attract many newcomers.    Atari is offering the recharged series as well as few other games, but they don't need the VCS for that.     

I think by merely existing, the VCS has already exceeded expectations. Especially given continued delays of the Intellivision Amico and other platforms. The problem with the VCS right now is becoming relevant again with newer generations of gamers. The only people that remember and care about Atari are the old school gamers from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. In order for them to attract new gamers they need to offer more than just rehashes of their classic games. New games like Kombinera is a step in the right direction.

I am really pulling for them and would like to see a resurgence of the Atari name again. That Atari name has not been given much justice since they essentially created the video game market as we know it today. They could offer price discounts of the VCS but they would have to offset that with higher prices of games. And yes although you can get the Recharged games on other platforms, the VCS has the highest attachment rate of all the platforms. So even if they stop production of the VCS they can still release games for it and make money.

• Like 2

It costs them money to support the thing, reviews are bad, and availability is worse. Atari hasn’t said how many they sold, but it’s likely the bulk of the sales were to Indiegogo backers, with more sales spikes when they clearance priced the bundles.

Maybe the company’s board will keep the store up so they have the appearance of having their own hardware platform, if the cloud store rent is cheap enough? That’s a recurring cost, and I doubt it will ever be self-sustaining.

The departure of Arzt is a big clue about their plans. 

Why do you guys pull so hard for THIS particular potato PC?

Now that Atari has lost its lawsuit against Redbubble, people can easily put Atari stickers on laptops and SFF PCs. Most software on VCS can be had elsewhere. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

They never bothered selling it in the markets where I feel it would have thrived as Atari computers did in the past

What markets would that be? Back in the late 80 -early 90s they did well in Eastern Europe for example because this was a very specific situation. But now we're all up to speed with consumerism, get all the same devices as everybody else and so don't need this particular pricey-novelty item.

Atari SA has lucked out with the chip shortage : they clearly have managed to get a bulk of their units done before it hit really hard and so had some stock to offer during times when others had problems (both consoles and assorted mini PCs). So they probably managed to sell some, even at that price, though we're still talking micro-scale (if even they talk about "modest" following, then you know it wasn't exactly millions).

I bet they would really want to shut this whole thing down asap, since maintaining an online shop and fielding hardware service complaints/queries is a major PITA. And their income from this operation (past the initial bounty) is porbably rather meagre.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the writing is beginning to appear on the wall, unless there's a card up their sleeve for the 50th anniversary, which candidly I doubt.

As several have said, and admittedly it's an incredibly low bar (and certainly one I wouldn't use to argue with any critics), the thing DID at least come out, something the Amico is unlikely to do. And it does seem.... somewhat okay?.....if you keep it in the Ouya type camp and compare it thus.

Who knows, maybe like the Ouya someone will create an open source store or something. Of course, that assumes there will be developers for it....

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

I think the writing is beginning to appear on the wall, unless there's a card up their sleeve for the 50th anniversary, which candidly I doubt.

As several have said, and admittedly it's an incredibly low bar (and certainly one I wouldn't use to argue with any critics), the thing DID at least come out, something the Amico is unlikely to do. And it does seem.... somewhat okay?.....if you keep it in the Ouya type camp and compare it thus.

Who knows, maybe like the Ouya someone will create an open source store or something. Of course, that assumes there will be developers for it....

Owning an Ouya I too put it in the same camp.   Fingers crossed for future support.  

• Like 1

As a person who keeps computers running as long as I can, I feel it was a win-win for me. Purchased my first black walnut bundle from MicroCenter for $149, upgraded memory and added an M2 SSD. I was lucky enough to get the black onyx bundle from GameStop for $99 this week. For under $250 I now own two compact PC's with the alternate Atari linux based OS. Not sure what the plan is for the Black Onyx one, but the black walnut looks quite nice sitting under my TV in my great room and provides enjoyment for basic gaming and 4 great controllers. At least they got it right on those. 

• Like 2

Don't most companies protect their inventory by setting min/max prices with their retailers?  

Did Atari not have one with GameStop?  Or, if there was a contract, did it expire?

Either way, once something is being sold nationally at a $99 fire sale price, who in their right mind will go and pay full price later on?

And if they were selling well at a $250 price point, why practically give them away a few weeks later?  

I do find it funny how some think it's only because it's black and the exact same thing with a woodgrain stripe will continue to do well at $300+. :lol:

• Like 1

The real question is was the Atari VCS "on the market" to begin with? I mean it's available to buy, sure, but it barely exists.

I don't even feel like Atari really acknowledges its existence. Recharged games get extra features on the VCS, but it's not like the trailers insist on it for instance. It's just a logo among others on the ending screen.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 3

The age old dilemma for any console has been marketshare.

You must sell units in order for consumers to buy games, which sustain you long term.

Realistically, how many VCS units have actually sold?
Are these owners buying the minimum number of games for this new Atari entity to break even or become profitable?
Methinks NO.

Most of these owners are buying these to use as boring tinkering devices or PC's.
Meanwhile, Atari continues to pour money into developing an Atari OS, games and license deals for a small market.
This does not add up in the long term.  I suspect this is the end.

It was a valiant effort, but too much for a small fledgling corporation.

Personally I looked at getting a VCS a few months ago. But the mixed reviews on hardware quality (fan issues, update problems) and then testing the waters with some of the Recharged games on the Xbox (which were just as disastrous -- I still can't start Black Widow -- a game that I paid real money for) and now the frequent deep discounts just prompted me to go with an Xbox Series S

At least I'll know this will be around for the long term and I can get the majority of the VCS games on that, should I desire it.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

I think Gamestop is going out of business. Guees we will know if they start selling other things for cheap

While that's possible, I don't think them dumping VCS stock means the retailer is closing shop, but that the manufacturer might be.....

• Like 2

According to their last financial report they had VCS inventory to the tune of $1.6 million as of last September. Assuming they're valued at $399 each, that'd mean around four thousand units.

They'll presumably have sold some of those since but it doesn't look like the demand has been much more than a trickle. I guess we'll find out how they're going in the next report.

• Like 1

Why not keep producing and supporting it if you’re breaking even, or generating a profit? The costs to manufacture it are going to go down over time. Eventually it will be possible to mass-produce these at $99.99 with a margin, and at that point it will sell like hot cakes if they continue growing the games like they have. The retro library and all these recharged games are going nowhere. It’s slick-looking and has more than enough firepower to be a system for the 2020s. 

If Atari wants to truly stage a comeback and return to its former glory, it needs to keep supporting the VCS. This is the last chance to truly get back in the game with a system of their own. If they do not commit to this thing for a few more years, they’ll never get where the new owner wants them to be because even the hardest of the hardcore Atari fans like us will never buy another system they ever produce again (Jaguar did that to some, and I respect that). This is really their last chance to make their mark. 

Edited by YarsFan
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, YarsFan said:

Why not keep producing and supporting it if you’re breaking even, or generating a profit? The costs to manufacture it are going to go down over time. Eventually it will be possible to mass-produce these at $99.99 with a margin, and at that point it will sell like hot cakes if they continue growing the games like they have. The retro library and all these recharged games are going nowhere. It’s slick-looking and has more than enough firepower to be a system for the 2020s. 

If Atari wants to truly stage a comeback and return to its former glory, it needs to keep supporting the VCS. This is the last chance to truly get back in the game with a system of their own. If they do not commit to this thing for a few more years, they’ll never get where the new owner wants them to be because even the hardest of the hardcore Atari fans like us will never buy another system they ever produce again (Jaguar did that to some, and I respect that). This is really their last chance to make their mark. 

Costs on everything are rising.  Costs involved in procuring components, manufacturing, shipping products, even keeping stuff in inventory.  Nobody can make and sell a PC for $99, that's insane, especially for a small company.  They should have just marketed it as a home entertainment mini PC for $299, no bundles, no mixed messages about it being a $400 'console'.

If the VCS as a machine is reaching the end - and it will eventually, regardless of what happens, there are a couple of things they could do next to keep the ecosystem going, stay in hardware etc and maybe save money:

- Let anyone with a compatible PC run Atari OS.  Move development to a community model as is done with many Linux distros, Atari keeps the branding in it,  the community take it where THEY want it.  The store stays under Atari's control as long as they deem it worth their while.  (There is always Steam)

- Partner with an existing gaming PC manufacturer.  Take some existing low and high end AMD systems they produce, rebrand them as 'exclusive' Atari hardware, pre-bundle with Atari OS and the Vault as per the VCS.  This keeps 'VCS' games running on low-end hardware, for those who want the power, they can opt for the higher end machines, put Windows/Linux and Steam and play those AAA titles if they want.

- Ensure any other Atari 'branded' stuff like controllers etc is sold worldwide, even if just online.  I saw an Atari arcade controller I wanted, but it was only sold in one store (Microcenter?) in the US only - dumb.

There are lots of things they can do that won't necessarily break the bank.

Edited by THX-1138
Typos
  • Like 5