IGNORED

Favorite Genesis music

electricmastro

• 2 weeks later...

It's been like a year and a half since I played it, but I remember Arrow Flash having some decent music. Too bad the game itself is rather boring.

Going back to Toaplan, Kyuukyoku Tiger also has some really cool music, as well (all versions do, though. What an incredible soundtrack! Challenge -> Break a Leg!, Tsugaru, Our Life... everything is great, which is why I bought the soundtrack!), and so does Daisenpuu. Need to go pick up those and V-V soon so I can complete my Mega Drive/Genesis Toaplan shooting collection. I'll likely never get every Toaplan game on the system thanks to the outrageous price of Snow Bros., though.

8 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

It's been like a year and a half since I played it, but I remember Arrow Flash having some decent music. Too bad the game itself is rather boring.

Going back to Toaplan, Kyuukyoku Tiger also has some really cool music, as well (all versions do, though. What an incredible soundtrack! Challenge -> Break a Leg!, Tsugaru, Our Life... everything is great, which is why I bought the soundtrack!), and so does Daisenpuu. Need to go pick up those and V-V soon so I can complete my Mega Drive/Genesis Toaplan shooting collection. I'll likely never get every Toaplan game on the system thanks to the outrageous price of Snow Bros., though.

Arrow Flash has a few good tunes but most of the music is grating. Even the good ones have some poor sound choices.

8 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Arrow Flash has a few good tunes but most of the music is grating. Even the good ones have some poor sound choices.

Yeah, I remember the first stage has some decent music, but I forgot what it sounds like in stages 2 and 3. I don't think I ever made it beyond stage 3 since the game is unbelievably boring!

I discovered a new game today, not so sure it fits here 100% unless someone is more familiar but I had to point it out.  Task Force Harrier EX.

I don't think I have ever heard from a commercial product a more clear, clean, and crisp sounding set of voice samples.  While I don't know (do you?) if the music is all that memorable or remarkable, but it also had that same odd clarity to the music (and sfx too) largely lacking in many Genesis/MD games unfortunately so it was quite refreshing.

Sega Retro claims there's a singing track, I can't find it, even skimmed a youtube video before submitting this and it never came up.  The game is fairly chatty around the start/end and boss in-outro bits so you can check that clarity at least.

7 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I discovered a new game today, not so sure it fits here 100% unless someone is more familiar but I had to point it out.  Task Force Harrier EX.

I don't think I have ever heard from a commercial product a more clear, clean, and crisp sounding set of voice samples.  While I don't know (do you?) if the music is all that memorable or remarkable, but it also had that same odd clarity to the music (and sfx too) largely lacking in many Genesis/MD games unfortunately so it was quite refreshing.

Sega Retro claims there's a singing track, I can't find it, even skimmed a youtube video before submitting this and it never came up.  The game is fairly chatty around the start/end and boss in-outro bits so you can check that clarity at least.

I've owned this game for years and never knew anything about a track with singing.

2 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I've owned this game for years and never knew anything about a track with singing.

Yeah I'm not sure what they're smoking, maybe a Japanese version?  Their dumpy wannabe wikipedia like page on sega retro claims it exists, I can't find it, and they don't cite the sentence anywhere with proof.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I remember buying Super Hydlide in the summer of 1990 and being blown away by the quality and variety of its soundtrack.  It seemed leaps and bounds better than most of the 1989 era releases. 

Tis a shame that the visuals were so poor (literally a direct port from the original release on some Japanese computer - MSX perhaps?).  

Even though the Amiga version has better music, Mega Turrican has an incredible soundtrack. Chris Hueslbeck is easily my favourite video game music composer of all time.

Gleylancer and Castlevania Bloodlines are among my favourite soundtracks of the system.

I love Golden Axe music, but the Megadrive port sound sounds a bit limp. Someone should mod the Amiga music over the Megadrive or Arcade original game for the ultimate version of the game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...