IGNORED

Season 12 ~ MAJOR LEAGUE ~ 3 Strikes Knockout Tourny

Vocelli

We are all set for what could be the FINAL round.

Unless something crazy happens... It looks like we will be down to 3 players.

If that is the case, we will end the 3 Strikes Tourney and crown our winners!

If 2 players end with 3 strikes or more the tie breaker is as follows:

~ Least Amount of Strikes.

~ Regular Season Ranking

Once we have determined the 3 players who will get to pick a game for next season the tie breaker is as follows:

~ Least Amount of Strikes

~ Regular Season Rank.

We will crown the Winners and start Season 13 on August 11!

(If the crazy happens and no one is eliminated.... it will be a 1 game/1 week/1 strike elimination).

• Like 1

Looking at the 1st picks... We have a match right away.

Kermit picked Raptor first.... and so did SkippyBCoyote!

First Game:  RAPTOR

Looking at the 2nd picks.... All of the matches are made.

Next UP...

Kermit pick Stratovox second... And so did JasonHRB.

Second Game: Stratovox

Keeping with the 2nd picks...

SkippyBCoyote picked Wizard of Wor second and AtariSphinx picked it first!

NOTE THIS CHANGE:

Wizard of Wor (Game 1 /A)

Please play on Difficulty A (Extra Sneaky Worlings)

Thats it! Start Playing and Keep Posting.

Three of you will get to choose a game for Season 13!

• Like 2

I'm happy enough with Stratovox (obviously) and content with Raptor. But Wizard of Wor . . . . .yuk!. Probably second only to Guardian on my list of games I would hope to avoid. Still, I've made it all the way to the last round (the maths mean that short of a tie for scores, someone is definitely getting to three strikes this week), which I'm pretty pleased with ? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jasonhrb said:

I'm happy enough with Stratovox (obviously) and content with Raptor. But Wizard of Wor . . . . .yuk!. Probably second only to Guardian on my list of games I would hope to avoid. Still, I've made it all the way to the last round (the maths mean that short of a tie for scores, someone is definitely getting to three strikes this week), which I'm pretty pleased with ? 

I had similar sentiments with Wizard of Wor, primarily because with the correct strategy, I expect all of us could hit rollage which may be the most likely "something crazy happens" scenario.  I'm hoping the harder difficulty setting changes this.

1 hour ago, Armscar Coder said:

That is a heck of a way to begin the round.  By my unofficial account, that is the highest score presented so far.  Awesome job.

Thank you Armscar, and thank you for making quite possibly my new favorite homebrew game! I really can't get enough of RAPTOR and I think I'm going to need to pick up a physical copy when it hits the AtariAge store, cause this game is awesome! :-D

• Like 5

8 hours ago, kermit73 said:

I had similar sentiments with Wizard of Wor, primarily because with the correct strategy, I expect all of us could hit rollage which may be the most likely "something crazy happens" scenario.  I'm hoping the harder difficulty setting changes this.

I must admit @kermit73 , for me it's just a case of I don't enjoy this one very much. I think many people have a really well regarded game that for whatever reason they don't like much (that's probably a decent discussion in itself) , and this is definitely mine. Almost  everything about the game just irritates me, from the obscene amount of flicker when there are lots of things on the screen (although the fact that I'm using emulation might be a factor here), to the way that the way the character holds their weapon makes them look like something from a Mystique game ........... although come to think of it, the silly amusement factor of that might be the closest thing to entertainment I get from this one ?

I played half a dozen games in the regular season just to get something half respectable, and then stopped because I just didn't enjoy it. And now I'm going to have to make a real effort with it. Maybe I'll repeat the trick of Xenophobe, and grind my way to a really unenjoyable rollage . . . . .or maybe not. Either way, come the end of next week I will be trying to forget that this game ever existed ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

And so it begins ?

RAPTOR (Game 1, B/B Difficulty): 1,704

?

5 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

ROLLAGE! :-D

Wizard of Wor (Game 1, A/A Difficulty): ROLLAGE

IMG_20220606_214612.thumb.jpg.3bc97ca1a5e49b5c2899bbffc60c9aab.jpg

That's quite a start to the round. That guarantees you no strike in Wizard of Wor, and the rest of us will have a hard time catching that score for raptor. Fantastic work ?

Edited by Jasonhrb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jasonhrb said:

I must admit @kermit73 , for me it's just a case of I don't enjoy this one very much. I think many people have a really well regarded game that for whatever reason they don't like much (that's probably a decent discussion in itself) , and this is definitely mine. Almost  everything about the game just irritates me, from the obscene amount of flicker when there are lots of things on the screen (although the fact that I'm using emulation might be a factor here), to the way that the way the character holds their weapon makes them look like something from a Mystique game ........... although come to think of it, the silly amusement factor of that might be the closest thing to entertainment I get from this one ?

I played half a dozen games in the regular season just to get something half respectable, and then stopped because I just didn't enjoy it. And now I'm going to have to make a real effort with it. Maybe I'll repeat the trick of Xenophobe, and grind my way to a really unenjoyable rollage . . . . .or maybe not. Either way, come the end of next week I will be trying to forget that this game ever existed ?

For me this game has lots of nostalgia and great cooperative play.   I did not grow up with the 2600 but did have the Atari 8-bit computer.    That version was one of my goto co-op game (along with Joust and Mario Bros).   The 8-bit version is great and even more so in co-op play (or inevitable players shooting each other when a friendly fire occurs ;) ).   This version is not as good but still good but you really want to try it in co-op play to truly enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Wizard of Wor : ROLLAGE !!!! . I am very glad to have got rollage for this. In part because it means no strike for this game, but also because it means I don't have to play it again. If I didn't like this one much before, I like it a lot less now ?.

A little like Xenophobe, it became in the end less a game of skill, and more one of straightforward concentration. I actually love these kind of maze shooters, but if we're talking about these kind of games on the 2600, Dark Cavern just does it so much better imho.

Now onto the fun stuff, I'm going to really have to go some to stay out of the bottom two for Raptor, but I'm going to have a lot of fun trying. I'm also looking forward to another go at Stratovox, although again I'm going to have to be on my A game to stay strike free.

Great tournament though, and I've really enjoyed making it all the way to the last round. 

Wizard of Wor (1982) (CBS Electronics)_7.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wizard of Wor: Rollage

That's an hour of my life I won't get back.  There are several games where the most fun way to play the game is not the best strategy to earn a high score.  This game takes that idea to a whole new level.  If I ever have to play this game again for points, I hope I remember to turn off the sound.

Now on to the other games.  Some impressive scores have already been posted for both of them.

image.thumb.png.640916c099f0765006236b64211edbee.png

• Like 5

Way to go rolling the score in Wizard of Wor everyone! That makes RAPTOR and Stratovox the battlegrounds for this round, and guarantees that neither Kermit nor AtariSphinx can get three strikes. Looks like it's up to me and Jasonhrb to duke it out for a spot in the final three, unless by some weird twist of fate this ends up going to a 5th round. Either way, it's going to be a really fun and challenging end to the season! :)

• Like 4

Great score @Jasonhrb on Stratovox.   Great to see so many players beating their previous round scores!

I have to say these final rounds have been intense!   What was a great score in the season is now average!  Very impressive everyone and has been a blast playing and strategizing  against such tough competition!  Looking forward to seeing this play out.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Way to go rolling the score in Wizard of Wor everyone! That makes RAPTOR and Stratovox the battlegrounds for this round, and guarantees that neither Kermit nor AtariSphinx can get three strikes. Looks like it's up to me and Jasonhrb to duke it out for a spot in the final three, unless by some weird twist of fate this ends up going to a 5th round. Either way, it's going to be a really fun and challenging end to the season! :)

There is actually a scenario where this goes to another round. If you get no more than one strike (a very likely scenario given your mega score on Raptor) and I don't get any (which is rather less likely, also mainly because of your mega score on Raptor ?) , then nobody gets to three strikes. 

If that scenario plays out, I'd personally be more than happy to "share" a rank with anyone else on two strikes, rather than go to another round (or using a tiebreak to split people on two). As @AtariSphinx said, the latter stages have been intense, and a credit to how the tournament is set up.

If we get a scenario where a round that was "guaranteed" to get someone to three strikes barring tied scores, and we end up with nobody on three strikes because we have all rolled a game, I can't help thinking that  we would have reached a point where nobody should be coming away from the tournament with "nothing". We could still use the "regular season rank" tie breaker to decide who gets gold and give us an overall winner

if we did end up in that scenario, we could then just have a multi game week (perhaps over more than one week) to give everyone who "tied" for the lower medal a game choice next season.

What do the rest of us @AtariSphinx  , @Skippy B. Coyote and @kermit73(and @Vocelli who is in charge of course) think ?

P.S - apologies if this seems a cheeky suggestion, it's just a thought that occurred to me reading Skippy's post. It's also probably moot anyway given my chances of matching Skippy's Raptor score are remote!

• Like 2