IGNORED

Disc Reading Issues

Tempest

My Xbox 360 has decided that it doesn't want to read the disc in the drive on occasion.  Once it recognizes there's a game in the drive it's fine and plays flawlessly, but sometimes it takes a few times of opening and closing the drive before it will recognize that there's a disc in the drive.  It makes me think that the lens might be dirty, but I've tried some compressed air and an old cleaning disc I had (a memorex one with six little brushes on it) but I'm still having the same problem.  Since I'm the original owner and took very good care of the system I have a hard time believing that the drive is dying, that and once it detects the disc it works flawlessly.  Any ideas?  Maybe I can try a better cleaning disc?

• Like 1

Did XBox360’s ever have a “fix” of putting the system upside down or vertical like the original PSX?

With the PSX laser, the issue (I think) was that the mount that held the laser wore down over time and set lower that it was originally intended. Setting it upside down caused the plastic on the top-side of the mechanism that held the laser and wasn't worn down to hold the laser at the correct height.

The first thing I would try is attempting to lay it the  opposite from its previous orientation (vertical/horizontal) and see if that changes anything.

On 4/28/2022 at 5:17 PM, Tempest said:

My Xbox 360 has decided that it doesn't want to read the disc in the drive on occasion.  Once it recognizes there's a game in the drive it's fine and plays flawlessly, but sometimes it takes a few times of opening and closing the drive before it will recognize that there's a disc in the drive.  It makes me think that the lens might be dirty, but I've tried some compressed air and an old cleaning disc I had (a memorex one with six little brushes on it) but I'm still having the same problem.  Since I'm the original owner and took very good care of the system I have a hard time believing that the drive is dying, that and once it detects the disc it works flawlessly.  Any ideas?  Maybe I can try a better cleaning disc?

I'm having the same issue with my main 360, which is an Arcade model that I've had for over a decade now. It's seen such heavy use that the disc drive doesn't always open and more often than not won't even read discs. This has been happening for just under a year now. The only reason I haven't swapped it out with another model is that it still reads discs just often enough. 

To note, this system has been in a horizontal position pretty much un-moved for about a decade now. It was never vertical. I don't know if either orientation would have a bad long-term effect or if just because I've managed to wear out the laser. 

34 minutes ago, Blazing Lazers said:

I'm having the same issue with my main 360, which is an Arcade model that I've had for over a decade now. It's seen such heavy use that the disc drive doesn't always open and more often than not won't even read discs. This has been happening for just under a year now. The only reason I haven't swapped it out with another model is that it still reads discs just often enough. 

To note, this system has been in a horizontal position pretty much un-moved for about a decade now. It was never vertical. I don't know if either orientation would have a bad long-term effect or if just because I've managed to wear out the laser. 

Mine is also an Arcade model that's has been in the horizontal position and about the same age (2008 I believe).  Mine got a moderate amount of use, but no where near enough that it would wear out the laser.  My problem also started happening this year.  I wonder how hard it is to replace the laser in these?  I'd hate to get a new one because mine is in really nice shape, although the fan is really loud (although I think that's just how all the 360s are).

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 8:33 PM, Tempest said:

Mine is also an Arcade model that's has been in the horizontal position and about the same age (2008 I believe).  Mine got a moderate amount of use, but no where near enough that it would wear out the laser.  My problem also started happening this year.  I wonder how hard it is to replace the laser in these?  I'd hate to get a new one because mine is in really nice shape, although the fan is really loud (although I think that's just how all the 360s are).

What I've been doing lately is transferring off all my old saves from the HDD to the cloud for titles that are backwards compatible and for games that aren't backwards compatible simply downloading the digital versions where they're still available. Where they aren't, I've been trying to finish the games and their Achievements whenever the disc drive does decide to work. 

Maybe the systems that we're using are starting to reach their MTBF points. I've also noticed that the online services are sometimes having troubles connecting to Live, and that quite a few games have been delisted from the 360 online marketplace, like the Soul Calibur ones besides V, and Raiden Fighters Aces.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I do quite a bit of repair on these systems and most of the times changing a laser will fix the system. He will need to eject the disc tray to see what drive you have and then search for a laser. Honestly the hardest part will just be taking the system apart since the snaps on the back of the case are pretty tricky. YouTube videos will show how to do this. Changing a laser isn't that difficult as long as you have even the most rudimentary of soldering skills. You have to wipe the solder bubble off of the new laser other than that no soldering is required. If that doesn't fix it it could be the drive mechanism but from what I've seen it's pretty rare. While you're at it I would also order a replacement belt and change it because the old ones will eventually wear out and that's when the disc drive starts having trouble ejecting.

• Like 1