IGNORED

Any developer interested in Quantum (Atari, 1982)?

dancero

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with this game at all.  I just took a very quick look at the video clip (not the whole thing). Looks sort of interesting, but I'm not sure it would have the same kind of visceral addictiveness that Space Invaders, Asteroids, and many others had since the gameplay tasks seem sort of arbitrary.

Vector display games are very challenging to port to the 2600 and still be recognizable. It might need some big compromises to work, like Asteroids made when it was ported, or how Star Castle was totally reworked/re-imagined and became Yar's Revenge.  The 2600 hardware is not well equipped to draw extended thin scribble-like curves.  Horizontal lines are not too bad, and you can easily have a few vertical lines, but diagonal/curved ones are much more of a pain!

On 5200, 7800, or later machines, it may be a lot more feasible to make a decent port.  Maybe a dev from one of those machines can weigh in.

Also, Atari LOVES their intellectual property.  For a good long time they survived by branding alone.  You're asking a homebrew developer to give up months of work with the very real risk Atari lawyers will kill it.

However, gameplay is something you can still build upon with an original title.  Given the limitations of the 2600 what makes this style of game not difficult?

2 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Also, Atari LOVES their intellectual property.  For a good long time they survived by branding alone.  You're asking a homebrew developer to give up months of work with the very real risk Atari lawyers will kill it.

However, gameplay is something you can still build upon with an original title.  Given the limitations of the 2600 what makes this style of game not difficult?

Good point on the Atari IP!  

As long as a system is connected to my TV it is a living part of my entertainment and creativity.  I don't think yet another port - no matter how technically impressive - is going to keep our favorite consoles relevant.

Update:  My bar for new and original is pretty low.  I'll take mashing up two existing games gameplay.  Or, just an original twist on gameplay of a favorite game.  Both the developer and gamer deserve new experiences.