IGNORED

Expensive NES games that are worth playing

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 10:02 AM, mbd39 said:

I recently paid $50 for Manhattan Project and enjoyed it.

But maybe the price will come down now that the Cowabunga Collection is coming out.

I don’t know if that sort of thing makes a difference. I figured the same would happen when they re-released Metalstorm, but prices have been pretty consistent.

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/nes/metal-storm

Technically, they are sold out of there initial run, but I figured a $45 from a “real” company with a history of quality (not some crappy bootleg copy) would cause the price to come down a little. At least historically, that was what happened when FF Tactics (GH) and even other Dragon Ball Z games were released on PlayStation. All the used copies that were selling for $50-$100 dropped almost overnight.

https://limitedrungames.com/products/metal-storm-nes

Sometimes it does, and others not so much.  With all the phony nerd orgy erupted over Earthbound coming out on I guess it was Wii or WiiU years ago the game was already a very early costly title due to those fools, but when the digital copy hit so many just went for the $10 vs $200 option and for a time the game took a solid hit on price, took a bit to recover.  The second digital release did have an impact, not so much as the first.  Maybe it just depends how desirable the game is vs amount of those who want it, but don't want to take it in the ass to get it.  Metal Storm is a fine game, even had a NP cover too, but largely not that well known other than by some circles so it's probably a bit more bulletproof in being hit with a cut over a re-release.

R-Type III didn't get pushed around either much with the release it go on its own and with super rtype too as a 2in1 cart in that big box bundle by retrobit.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/25/2023 at 7:29 PM, Tanooki said:

So you prefer the Taxan one over the Capcom shot at GI Joe?

Both were developed by the same studio, KID (technically they had not officially formed yet prior to Part 2, but the same people made both games). Capcom just published the second entry since Taxan had apparently gone out of business at that point.

They are both very similar games with similar mechanics and stage types. Part 1 is a bit more friendly in the early game, but man, it has some of the worst levels late game that I've ever had the (dis)pleasure of playing. I still need to try to finish Part 2, but it's kind of brutal in the beginning with a steep learning curve.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 3

On 11/7/2022 at 4:01 AM, Bloodreign said:

A game starting to finally creep up in price worth playing, Conquest of the Crystal Palace. Great side scroller, where you can use your dog, who also has a health meter, to help you defeat your enemies before Joe Musashi used his dog in Shadow Dancer.

I was actually surprised by the low price when I bought this a few years ago. Yikes it has gone up.

To be fair, Conquest was cheap for a veeeeeeery long time.

Never was a big fan, something always seemed “off” about it to me. But it’s one I will certainly revisit in the future to try again.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Krazy Kreatures!  You can guess where I first heard of it, and quickly became a collector of it.  Like "Tetris" on meth. And for the biggest challenge, try playing this with 1992 techno 180-zillion bpm rave in the background.

(There's that lovely ST in the background as well! 😍)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had Little Samson twice: one copy was in a mint condition, which me and My dad traded for another copy in a good condition + several games for other consoles. I still have most of the games from that trade including Virtual Boy Wario Land, but we had to sell Little Samson for financial reasons. I doubt i will ever come across with a third copy of Little Samson out in the wild during my lifetime...

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 4:55 PM, Austin said:

Both were developed by the same studio, KID (technically they had not officially formed yet prior to Part 2, but the same people made both games). Capcom just published the second entry since Taxan had apparently gone out of business at that point.

They are both very similar games with similar mechanics and stage types. Part 1 is a bit more friendly in the early game, but man, it has some of the worst levels late game that I've ever had the (dis)pleasure of playing. I still need to try to finish Part 2, but it's kind of brutal in the beginning with a steep learning curve.

Odd we discussed this early this year, but I just bumped into Atlantis Factor at a flea market for $5 so I snatched it up.  And you're right, it's aggressively nasty early on.  I'm having trouble with it, even the first mid-boss is a complete bastard as you can't really avoid the hammer, best to unload on bullets and hope he goes down first.  I think I need to find the manual, read the guide, and figure out how this one progresses as the map has a flavor of confusion that bionic commando has too.