IGNORED

7800 troubles

atari2600land

1 hour ago, atari2600land said:

Well, my OTHER 7800 died. And yet my NES is still going. Now I have two dead 7800s. Now what? Should I buy a Third one or just quit the 7800 because they're pieces of crap?

I still have my childhood 7800 bought back in '88 and it still works just fine and got a TON of use in the late 80s. Since then, I've got 2 additional ones that I've have for several years. One of them is pretty abused as it is my test 7800 that gets well.. tested on with lots of ideas and the like and it... is still going strong as well.

There has to be something common between these two that might be causing an issue. Are you sure it isn't just the power buttons being flaky? They were bad with getting flux into them at the factory and over time they corrode internally to a point that they won't even work or require a LOT of presses to do so.

23 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

Could it be because I was using the same power cord? That was the only thing common between the two.

The original power adapters last pretty long, but do go bad.  I had one recently die on me and I replaced it with the one from Best Electronics.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a result, I had to buy something from eBay. I did some research on the seller and it looks like the only reason he has a 94.7% feedback rating is some guy left a negative feedback because the guy thought his 7800 adaptor would work on a 2600. So I bought this thing. Here's hoping this works...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124625894005

• Like 1

9 hours ago, atari2600land said:

So this guy still has not shipped my adaptor. What do I do?

On 5/30/2022 at 6:20 PM, atari2600land said:

As a result, I had to buy something from eBay. I did some research on the seller and it looks like the only reason he has a 94.7% feedback rating is some guy left a negative feedback because the guy thought his 7800 adaptor would work on a 2600. So I bought this thing. Here's hoping this works...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124625894005

If you purchased the adapter on Monday, which was a holiday, the currently listing states the item typically takes 5 business days handling time (Not shipped yet) after a cleared payment:

image.png.9c543a530241e1ecb20dc262443218cd.png

Additionally, same item purchased today, June 4th, states earliest estimated delivery between June 13th and June 16th. 

If you purchased on May 30th, considering Tuesday would have been the actually first business day, following the same pattern, earliest delivery scheduled would fall between the estimated delivery dates of June 7th - June 10th.

The item could ship Priority/2-Day on June 8th and still make it to you by the June 10th estimate.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, FINALLY the ac adaptor came in the mail today. I tried it on one of my 7800s. Nothing. So I tried it on the other one and it works now! Although my GoSub game has some problems with it. I keep getting a grinding noise along with the music. I don't know if it's due to my 7800 or just because I programmed it with BASIC. Anyway, a funny thing happened when I tested Jinks. The ball got stuck bouncing between two bumpers. I had to reset the game. But it did give me an idea for Pineapple if I haven't done so already: make the music optional. Now that I know my 7800 will work, I need to now get a controller for it. I've been playing with the 2600 controller, but it just doesn't seem "right" if there's a 7800 controller out there.